Quantcast

De Rosa Idol bottom bracket sleeve failure

Brian

Chimp
Jun 16, 2010
I wonder if anyone has any experience with regard to a problem I have either with an Idol or with another bike brand.

A major problem has occured where the metal sleeve in the bottom bracket has come loose and actually rotates in the frame . According to my mechanic, the frame can no longer be used as there is a risk of it breaking during riding.
The abnormal sounds have been noticeable for the last months and caused wearing out of the external bottom bracket ball barings and lateral movement of the front derailleur scraping the paint off the side of the chainstay.

This problem can not be accounted for through over use as the bike has only had about 5-6,000km per year of normal recreational use and my local bike shop informs me that it seems to be an intrinsic fault in the frame.

I was in contact with De Rosa and their suggestion was that they re-cement the frame. I find this unacceptable. I feel it is an intrinsic fault of the frame and one can not have confidence in the integrity of the frame for the medium to long term.

As I see it, re-cementing it suggests that it is a simple cement problem as opposed perhaps to a problem with the original frame size which lead to the cement coming loose. I reckon there is no way to tell what the original problem is at this point and that I should get the benefit of the doubt.
Is it unreasonable on my part to expect they would replace the frame or should I let them have a go at re-cementing it?

I would appreciate any opinions
Brian

Brian

Chimp
Jun 16, 2010
Frame is 2 years old. I got it from comobike.com who are at present uncontactable through their website. I'm not sure if it is but even if it is not , it does seem like it shouldn't happen and it wasn't my fault.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well if the can fix the bike and make it as good as before then if its out of warranty I still think its a fair solution. Then sell the bike if you have lost faith in the company or ride it and be happy. If it then happens again get them to give you a new bike. Don't just have one set solution in your head. Get a good positive dialogue going and you will achieve much more. Are you talking to the importer or directly with the company. I would prefer a direct dialogue with the company.

Last edited:

Brian

Chimp
Jun 16, 2010
Thanks for that , have been talking directly with Cristiano De Rosa. . Maybe I'll send it to them and see what they think.
If they feel it's safe enough to ride then I should probably go with their expertise. If it is still under warranty , would you think I have a good case for replacement?
Appreciate your interest.
Brian

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Warranty does not equal replacement. Again I agree its an expensive frame and replacement would be nice. For sure send it in and see what they can do and keep the dialogue going.

Brian

Chimp
Jun 16, 2010
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll send it back and see what they make of it - I presume they have no interest in sending back an unsafe frame. I'll let you know how I get on and try and stay on their good side.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll send it back and see what they make of it - I presume they have no interest in sending back an unsafe frame. I'll let you know how I get on and try and stay on their good side.
Yeah, if you broke the frame and sustained serious injury after this incident they could be held liable. Let us know how it goes.

Brian

Chimp
Jun 16, 2010
De Rosa agreed to re-cement the sleeve to the bottom bracket. They inquired in mid July if I would like it resprayed at usual cost - Euro 300- which I went for. Neglected to inform me that frame would not be back till mid September. Their customer service leaves an awful to be desired but the bike is back and the paint job is superb and it rides as quietly as a church mouse. I'm not sure if i'm like the girl's who stay with junky boyfriends who beat them, btut I think I love de rosas even more. Perhaps it is that italian arrogance .
I'm glad I have my old frame as the new frame is far too angular for my liking and if it remains in good working order for the next 5 years I will be thrilled.
Thanks to all for advice.