Quantcast

Decent Techno

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I was driving around Salt Lake Saturday night with some kids and there was an awesome techno CD playing in this dudes car...I didn't catch the name, but it's put me in a techno mood. I know theres lots of techno lovers in here, somebody give me some suggestions as to what to download/buy :D

robert armani
mike dearborn
adam beyer
joel mull
cari lekebusch
surgeon
jeff mills
adam x
richie hawtin
neil landstrumm
dave clarke
dj rush
woody mcbride
mistress barbara
frankie bones

the list can just go on and on.......(edit: no fluffy stuff here, just good old stompy techno)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yeah, i am down w/ certain aspects of electronic-based music (autechre, to rococo rot, mille plateaux stuff, ninja tune stuff, basic channel stuff, staubgold, etc) but when i hear the term techno i immediately think of that SNL skit w/ the two guys dancing and boisterously frottering fellow club-goers.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
narlus said:
yeah, i am down w/ certain aspects of electronic-based music (autechre, to rococo rot, mille plateaux stuff, ninja tune stuff, basic channel stuff, staubgold, etc) but when i hear the term techno i immediately think of that SNL skit w/ the two guys dancing and boisterously frottering fellow club-goers.

it does make you cringe doesn't it. say it out loud, "I listen to techno." :think:

Better to say, I listen to Drum n Bass, Industrial, Blip Core, EBM, Dark Wave, Jungle, Trip Hop, Hard House, Goa Trance, and the 1000 of other sub genres of electronic music.

Not picking on anyone but in my opinion the word techno has been over used like the word Freeride.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The system is down!!!

Oh yeah...name of the cd was Trance Volume 23 (I think) anyone know who was on it? I can't find anything on it on google...

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
WestCoastHucker said:
robert armani
mike dearborn
adam beyer
joel mull
cari lekebusch
surgeon
jeff mills
adam x
richie hawtin
neil landstrumm
dave clarke
dj rush
woody mcbride
mistress barbara
frankie bones

the list can just go on and on.......(edit: no fluffy stuff here, just good old stompy techno)
Jeff Mills
Richie Hawtin (AKA Plastic Man)
Kevin Saunders
Stacy Pullin
Carl Craig

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
DVNT said:
it does make you cringe doesn't it. say it out loud, "I listen to techno." :think:

Better to say, I listen to Drum n Bass, Industrial, Blip Core, EBM, Dark Wave, Jungle, Trip Hop, Hard House, Goa Trance, and the 1000 of other sub genres of electronic music.

Not picking on anyone but in my opinion the word techno has been over used like the word Freeride.
In that case:

Deep house
Detroit minimal
Chicago (booty) house
GOOD trance (but it has to be good)
After Hours

And my favorite:
Hawtin going crazy with nothing but a 909, 303, and an effects processor.
Damn that guy is good.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
DVNT said:

I'm not very familiar with the genre at all, so anything I hear like it J ust call "techno"...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
xbluethunderx said:
I was driving around Salt Lake Saturday night with some kids and there was an awesome techno CD playing in this dudes car...I didn't catch the name, but it's put me in a techno mood. I know theres lots of techno lovers in here, somebody give me some suggestions as to what to download/buy :D
can you explain the beats. I can name it in 10 notes or less.

xbluethunderx said:
somebody give me some suggestions as to what to download/buy :D
I suggest going to Digitally Imported and having a listen through the various genres to help narrow your search. DI is mostly trance oriented.

For a broader scope, check out the "radio" streams at Epitonic...this will get you more exposure to house and breaks.

Older BT is some of the best electronic music out there, IMHO.
Enjoy.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
loco-gringo said:
There is no such thing. :dead: :D
True dat! :p

My roommate thinks people won't even be playing guitars in 10 years and thinks rock is totally dead :rolleyes:

Have your souless electronica, I'll listen to real artists playing real instruments thank you very much:eviltongu :p

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
WestCoastHucker said:
why aren't TR-909 or TB-303's "real" instruments?
I'll have to take your word for it, but synthesizers are "real" instruments, and techno IS real music

I didn't mean to hurt your synthesizer's feelings (if it has feelings at all, I mean ones that aren't synthesized, or sampled form another instruments feelings :think:)

All right, I'm done being sarcastic, I swear.

I guess it's time to drop some X and embrace the techno craze, anyone seen my pacifier and glow sticks?

OK, that was an accident I swear, no more sarcasm :p

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I know theres lots of techno lovers in here, somebody give me some suggestions as to what to download/buy
Download This
After you install it, choose "View" from the drop down menu, then "Media Library".
In the "Streaming Media" section choose "Internet Radio".
From the "Genre" drop-down on the top right of the screen choose "Techno", "House", "Club", etc that you want and play the station.
After you find stations you like, Install This
Now you can rip the streams to your HD, and cut 'em to a cd. :thumb:

More Winamp Staions Here

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
sorry but excuse my ignorance, i'm reletivly new when it comes to this type of music, i've always liked it just never really took the time to get into it until recently. so i dont really know much about the individual sub genres.

what would prodigy and orbital would come under.

i love that shoutcast website, theres so much choice, and digitally imported is amazing, i find myself listening to it for hours on end, at night when i'm on the web.

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
WestCoastHucker said:
not sure if you are unsure, but they are not the same person.....

green velvet is from chicago and carl is from london....

Yeah.. kinda typo'd and brian farted that one. I mean Green Velvet/Cajmere and Carl Cox.

Seeing Green Velvet live introduced me to electronic

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
1) if you think Synths are not real instruments then you need to throw out a TON of your favorite music...Pink Floyd for example...Synthesizers work my molding a waveform in a way the musician sees fit to create a sound...the exact sound he or she is looking for...they are just as much a real instrument as an electric guitar.

2) Techno is not a generic term for Electronic music...Techno is a genera of electronic music. It is similar to (and originated from) House music. It is more percussive and harder than House...tribal in many ways. It is also faster in most cases. It originates in Detroit with the Belvelle 3 (Juan Atkins, Kevin Saunderson, and Derrick May). It is very tribal in style...and can be compared to shaman or medicine men playing drums to put people in a trance...same idea. It is personally my favorite Genera (next to ambient).

3) If you say that EDM has no soul then you have no idea what you are talking about...House music, DnB, and Techno all have energy that is amazing...Being at a rave with 20,000 people all dancing to the same beats is a great feeling...

4) No I don't do drugs, play with glowsticks, suck on pacifiers, or wear candy. The majority of ravers are not like that...it's like saying everyone who listens to country is a stupid educated redneck...

Personally Electronic music is my favorite stuff...I listen to it, Produce it, DJ it, Do lighting/lasers for raves/clubs, throw raves. I got into EDM when I was in 5th grade...so it's more of a lifestyle at this point...

If anyone uses Soulseek hit me up under the user "Groovefood" (remember caps count). I have over 500 live sets. I only share to my list though so you have to send me a message first...

Tom

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
oohh and nice list here

robert armani
mike dearborn
adam beyer
joel mull
cari lekebusch
surgeon
jeff mills
adam x
richie hawtin
neil landstrumm
dave clarke
dj rush
woody mcbride
mistress barbara
frankie bones
Let me add...

Ben Sims
Umek
Marco Carola
Neil V
Mr. Robb
Dylan Drazen
The Advent
Bryan Zents
Chris Liebing
Dan Bell
Josh Wink
Monika Kruse

Just to name a few...

Tom

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
narlus said:
Did you ever listen to the Jackofficers "Digital Dump"?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stevew said:
Did you ever listen to the Jackofficers "Digital Dump"?
no, that's the buttholes's side project right? any good?

i tend to like the more minimal stuff coming out of germany or austria. the new fennesz cd _venice_ is really good.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
narlus said:
no, that's the buttholes's side project right? any good?

i tend to like the more minimal stuff coming out of germany or austria. the new fennesz cd _venice_ is really good.
It was funny more than anything else. It was good for clearing a room of people at parties to.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Anyone heard of ATB? I had a german exchange student friend who told me about them/him and I downoaded a bunch a few months ago...Its not the best...