Quantcast

Dedicated SS hubs?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
What's the real advantage of using a dedicated ss hub, besides more flange width? Is a freewheel so much more reliable than a freehub? Is the arrangement somehow that much lighter? Personally, I like the ability to fine-tune my chainline by spacing my cog where I want.

Was considering the Hope singlespeed hub, but it just uses a shorter freehub body...why not stick with the more versatile standard arrangement?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
wider flanges = "stronger" wheel.

i don't like freewheels.

cassette SS hubs are the bees-knees.

really, in my opinion, the only advantage is a) aesthetics, and b) SS cassette hubs tend to use the same spoke, NDS and DS.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hope hubs are generally very nice, and the singlespeed version has the "trials" pawl setup in back which sounds nice; supposedly quicker-engaging than the usual version. They're also MUCH cheaper than a Chris King.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
All the hope hubs I've had sound like fishing reels when you're coasting; dunno about these but I bet they're loud, too.

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
What's a good silent, or close to it, ss cassette hub?
I appreciate the quicker engagement of some of the leaders, but I like to keep my ss as quiet as possible.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
look at the i9 hub i run them on 3 of my bikes including my singlespeed, like it better than the king. Way easier to service, SUPER fast engagement...One thing ppl dont realize is i9 produces a regular standard spoke system as well so you can build it up with your favorite dt spokes. Oh and they come in great colors.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
I just ordered a profile ss disc hub to replace the eastern ss hub on my night train. Whatever ss hub you get don't get the eastern! Its terrible. I've heard good things about the halo, and ns hubs though and they are quite a bit cheaper than the profile.

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
DT Swiss 240, hands down the best I have owned (owned quite a few over the years from King to Surly) extremely reliable, smooth, great engagement, light, etc. Well worth the investment.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
DT Swiss 240, hands down the best I have owned (owned quite a few over the years from King to Surly) extremely reliable, smooth, great engagement, light, etc. Well worth the investment.
+1 for the 240ss. Great hub to work on, awesome engagement, and serviceability is great too.

if you want it already built into a 29er wheelset, check out my classified.

Price negotionable

http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/cat-9/ad-11767/