Quantcast

Deemax hub busted advice needed

skinnyvinnie

Chimp
Jan 9, 2007
I've just busted my 2006 front Deemax hub body. Mavic refused to warranty it and further, they asked me to buy the replacement unit at 200 USD! There's no way I'm gonna pay that kind of money to get a front hub. BTW the rims and spokes are in perfect condition.

My next bet would be to use the Hope Pro 2 front hub with 28 holes. I've seen some threads discussing about this topic but I've not seen any message claiming that this has been actually done. Please guys if any of u out there have seen this set-up pls reply to this thread. Some pics would be nice too.

Thanks in adavance...

skinnyvinnie

Chimp
Jan 9, 2007
One of the disc screw tabs on the hub actually broke. Mavic said I've overthightened the screws and that has caused the failure. For what is worth the disc rotors were installed by a lbs and apparently they have never encountered such problems.

AlexYuen

Chimp
Jan 13, 2005
What??

Mine is a 32 rear. It was quite painful to build the wheel. You have take out the nipple out from the original spoke. Then try out different length of spoke to get it fit....

But I will do the same to the front one of these days.

I've just busted my 2006 front Deemax hub body. Mavic refused to warranty it and further, they asked me to buy the replacement unit at 200 USD! There's no way I'm gonna pay that kind of money to get a front hub. BTW the rims and spokes are in perfect condition.

My next bet would be to use the Hope Pro 2 front hub with 28 holes. I've seen some threads discussing about this topic but I've not seen any message claiming that this has been actually done. Please guys if any of u out there have seen this set-up pls reply to this thread. Some pics would be nice too.

Thanks in adavance...

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
dude. thats what spoke calculators are for.

if you can find a 28 hole decently burly front hub. go for it.

skinnyvinnie

Chimp
Jan 9, 2007

Mine is a 32 rear. It was quite painful to build the wheel. You have take out the nipple out from the original spoke. Then try out different length of spoke to get it fit....

But I will do the same to the front one of these days.
U've just made my day. Thanks a bunch dude. New Hope Pro 2 would be on the way soon.

AlexYuen

Chimp
Jan 13, 2005
What??
That's what I thought at the beginning. But it isn't quite exactly the same when you have to use the DeeMax bass nipples, and the eyelets, the calculation is a bit different. Yet, it wasn't too bad.

dude. thats what spoke calculators are for.

if you can find a 28 hole decently burly front hub. go for it.

EuroNewbie

Chimp
May 14, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Good question, I am trying to do the same thing with the rear

I have a 28 spoke DeeMax, and am trying to put a Hope Pro II on it, I didn't realize they came in 28 hole untill reading seanmankiw's post.

Can it be ordered of the UK site?

Is it possible to lace a 28 spoke rim to a 32 or 26 hole hub?

jrfor0

Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
just ride the broken hub. missing 1 brake tab isn't going to hurt anything. besides, if you are going to take the time and spend the money on a new hub you might as well ditch the 28 hole stuff and go 32 or 36. you will have a much wider choice in hubs and rims then.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
just ride the broken hub. missing 1 brake tab isn't going to hurt anything. besides, if you are going to take the time and spend the money on a new hub you might as well ditch the 28 hole stuff and go 32 or 36. you will have a much wider choice in hubs and rims then.
that also cost alot more

skinnyvinnie

Chimp
Jan 9, 2007
Think I'm gonna stick with my current hub. Ride as usual as if nothing's wrong with the hub and see how it puts up to the abuses. Should it fail, I know where to get the replacement...

AlexYuen

Chimp
Jan 13, 2005
What??
No. It came stright Red from the factory. And it is a E4, not M4.

I also have two #3, one #8 and one DH4 #6 (185mm) in red. In some European dealers, you could get the Old mini in Red too.

Hope was making some E4 in Gold.

Did you anodize the front M4?