Quantcast

Deep wheel builds for Cross?

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
So ive been considering upgrading the wheels on my cross bike to deep aeros. Ive been looking at a Velocity B43 build, they seem really strong but REALLY heavy (some builds Im seeing are 2,600ish grams for the set)

Ide prefer a wheel set around or under 2000 grams, but still very strong and stiff. I have disc brakes and would like clinchers. I am open to build ideas or prebuilt wheels from companys.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Just to throw this out for discussion. CX Magazine did a test of a number of deep section wheels as well as non aero wheels to see if it was true that deep rims went through mud and sand faster. Result was that deep rims did not do as well as standard rims.

My suggestion is to look at some of Stan's offerings. His 29 er rims and road rims are pretty light and available in a number of drillings too. Plus of course they should be good to run tubeless if you chose to.

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Price: Nothing crazy thats why Im leaning away from carbon wheels and as far as use goes I use my cross bike for Cross, commuting, bar hopping etc so pretty much everything from road to dirt.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
32h Velocity Deep V's laced to Ultegras. Prolly right around 1900g, built by the right builder and they'll be pretty bombproof.

That said, I had VERY good luck with Ksyrium Elites when I was a messenger and beating the hell out of wheels. 1700g and seemingly indestructible. Not deep section, but that doesn't much matter.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Just to throw this out for discussion. CX Magazine did a test of a number of deep section wheels as well as non aero wheels to see if it was true that deep rims went through mud and sand faster. Result was that deep rims did not do as well as standard rims.
Really?? I would swear my personal experience is different, but maybe it was a placebo effect :) Deep dish carbon makes me think I'm faster!

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Those sound like nice builds but remember I have disc brakes so I know my hub selection is limited I have a 08' Cannondale X7 cross bike.

Im not a hardcore weight weenie, but when I weighed the bike it ended up at 23lbs even, I am planing to get a carbon fork and replace everything with SRAM stuff I know that will cut down the pounds but the wheels I am still lost as to what to do. Ide like it to weigh in from 18-20lbs all said and done.

I really do love the B43's besides looking sick (yes I have a little hipster in me lol) they have got to be bomb proof and super rigid with being so deep and triple walled but 770g's just seems like ALOT (150g's MORE than the Deep-V's)

I was also looking at the Kysriums or even the Aksiums?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
2600gr? I'd **** myself. And I'm not a weight weenie.

DT 1.2s, or whatever they are now
DT hubs, or King, or I9, or White Industries
Appropriate spoke (Comps or DB14s)

I rock Arch/ King/ Comp wheels, with alloy nipples.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
King hubs will last forever, but damn do they have a lot of friction. I don't run em for that reason alone....I would rather have loose ball hubs and repack em. On topic, does your bike take mtb hubs since it has discs? Deep dish aluminum rims are always going to weigh a lot. I would go with a reliable rim like the Mavic Open Pro. BUT, it seems like you want some style...

<edit> you could always use paper mache to simulate deep dish :D

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Yea so far ive seen 2400-2600 gram builds but I dont kno what hubs theyre running.

The kings caught my eye, I know they are the definition of durability but I dont really like the idea of rolling resistance and I dont mind repacking bearings (with in reason ofcourse)

I will have to check the spacing on my X7 tommorow...its 3:30am right now and Im lazy lol but for now we'll just say 130 hubs

I do like style dont ask me why when it all boils down I will pick function over form but if I can get something I find asthetically pleasing to me as well Ide be happier lol

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
700c? Disc? 135mm spacing?
Mavic Speedcity wheels.
Get the MP3 warranty when you get them. I had a set for a while, they survived anything I could throw at them...and if they do die on you, they will just give you a new set if you have the MP3 protection.

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
the Speedcitys had caught my eye before they are def on the list of possibles.

Has anyone run American Classic's? I was thinking a set of them laced to B43's might come out to a decent wheel set (I approximated right around 2000grams) I know its rotational weight = ( but it falls within my weight range, super stiff, and bomb proof.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Don't do B43s. They're tanks. You're on a budget, and have a 135 frame? New generation XTs on Open Pros. Job done. Cheap, not that heavy, and bombproof.

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
yea I noticed theyre about 200grams heavier than pretty much every other rim on the market.

If I did still want a deep rim, is there anything similar to the B43 just a little lighter? I bet they would still be just as rigid if they went with a double wall instead of triple...

Edit: I just found H Plus Son formation face rims, aluminum, 42mm deep, 20mm wide, and only 615g vs 770 Velocity's...we may have a winner...

Last edited:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
That rim sounds like overkill unless you weigh 300 lbs...There's a reason no one builds 2000g+ cross wheelsets these days. Just not necessary.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
well with the math I did, the H Plus Son rims laced to American Classic hubs should come out to about 1700-1800grams?
That's a pretty bizarre build. Bulletproof but overbuilt rims on some really light but questionably durable hubs. Why? At the speeds you're going on a cross bike, rim weight is going to matter more than aerodynamics. Do yourself a favor and use some more durable hubs (DT 240s if you're looking light) on some lighter rims, and loose the hang up about needing a deep section rim.

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
oh well I thought AC's were solid? but I'm fine with DT's :D well i know what regular alloy wheels would be good for cross, but hey call me a trend fag or whatever, if I can find a set of aero wheels I like and dont weigh a ton Ill snag them.

What about carbon clinchers? Ide need 32 or 28 hole rims...and I like to ride HARD on my stuff...

Last edited:

rogersstones

Chimp
Aug 27, 2010
You will easily get the parts as per your requirement in your expected budget. It is nice idea to go with that. It is beneficial to yours.