"Desperate affairs require desperate measures."

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:rolleyes:

Introducing the politically correct naval battle
Reuters | 29 Jun 05 | Paul Majendie

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain celebrated an epic naval victory Tuesday but a descendant of its hero Admiral Horatio Nelson said the Battle of Trafalgar bicentenary was trying too hard not to offend historical enemies France and Spain.

A highlight of the world's biggest naval review was featuring two fleets enacting a 19th century sea battle.

But they have been called simply the red and the blue fleet rather than by country names, which has sparked a shot across the bows from Nelson's great great great granddaughter.

"I am anti-political correctness. Very much against it. It makes fools of us," said 75-year-old Anna Tribe.

"I think the idea of the blue team fighting the red team is pretty stupid. I am sure the French and Spanish are adult enough to appreciate we did win that battle," she added.

The historian playing Nelson in the mock battle is equally annoyed.

"If you obliterate history for the sake of political correctness, you can't learn from the past. Nelson thought politicians were cowards. I tend to agree," Alex Naylor said.

Nelson sent the famous signal "England expects that every man will do his duty" before the 1805 battle off the western Spanish coast that spelt the beginning of the end for Napoleon Bonaparte's French Empire.

Nelson, already missing an eye and an arm from previous battles, was killed by a French sniper in the epic battle. He was 47.

Organizers of the bicentenary celebrations were anxious to avoid accusations of triumphalism, especially at a time when Anglo-French relations are frosty as London and Paris clash over the future direction of the European Union.

Britain's navy chief Admiral Alan West admitted: "The French had to think quite hard about if they wanted to be involved (in the review). But in the final analysis, this is a celebration of maritime nations."

He rejected criticism of the bicentenary, insisting Nelson would have backed the plans.

"Nelson would have approved of that, to get the maritime back in the public eye," The First Sea Lord said.

Queen Elizabeth reviewed more than 160 warships from 35 navies -- including those of France and Spain who were beaten at Trafalgar -- off Portsmouth on England's south coast.

Aboard the Royal Navy's Antarctic survey vessel Endurance, she sailed up and down the lines of assembled ships in the first naval review since her Silver Jubilee celebrations in 1977.

"It is the biggest ever international naval assembly in terms of the number of fleets involved," said a spokeswoman for the Trafalgar 200 organizers.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
lol.. that whole idea of re-enactments of wars with toys and costumes and the whole "my great-grand-dad kicked your great-grand-dad's ass" attitude is not the most adult thing either.....

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Happy Birthday N8, you 41 year old republican freak. :)

Jeeze I can't believe you're 41. That's like, old and sh1t. :sneaky: :p You gonna start actually engaging in here now? C'mon!