Quantcast

Dessous by Vorsprung Suspension

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I don't understand how it works. I thought a larger volume can would lead to a more wallowy ride, which is why we have volume reducers. But this is telling me that a higher volume will have better mid-stroke support. There's obviously something I'm missing.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think it's the larger negative spring (like the debonair) that lowers the initial spring rate and allows you to tune for better midstroke performance, rather than ignoring the initial spring rate and focusing on bottom out.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
From the PB comments:

VorsprungSuspension (7 hours ago)
It's all to do with the ratios and volumes of positive and negative chambers, and where they equalise. By manipulating those values, we can change the rate at which the negative spring pressure drops early in the travel, which is what controls the early stroke and is really the defining point of these sleeves. It doesn't affect the damping - that is completely separate.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I would love to hear more about what this will actually do:

- More mid-stroke support
- No more wallowy midstroke

One thing I have on my Float is I have to run higher pressure to avoid it blowing through travel when pedaling through rocky section and just stay more stable low speed technical situations. Not sure if that is what they promise with the above statements.

It kind sounds like that is what they are trying to achieve (from answer in the Pink Bike Pres Release:

"Because of the more linear overall nature of this spring (start to end) you have more of a usable range of sag before the thing gets harsh or excessively wallowy"

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I've got a couple on the way for review in two different types of frames (a VPP and a dw-link), will post up my thoughts on here once I've had my way with them. Knowing Steve, they'll do exactly what they claim, but riding coil exclusively in all my bikes at the moment I'll have pretty high standards as well.

CBJ - from the graphs, these sleeves should provide the float with two key things over stock:
1. Lower spring rate in the first ~10% of travel, eliminating most air spring harshness
2. Slightly higher spring rate in middle of stroke and end of stroke, thus more support where needed

I think 1. is the biggest issue on air shocks, and a big reason why there is a need to run lower than ideal pressure (and support as a result) to get reasonable sensitivity and bump absorption. While these cans will give you a little more midstroke support anyway, a bigger benefit should be that you can run the amount of pressure for the level of midstroke support you desire without really sacrificing sensitivity and bump absorption in the earlier stroke.

I can't speak for your scenario personally, but I know with air shocks I always end up running them a bit softer than ideal (and thus with a wallowy midstroke) to compensate for the initial harshness that gets worse if I set it up for the support I want. I expect these will eliminate or greatly reduce that compromise. I'll comment on how well they did once I get my hands on them.

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
Here in Europe it's going to be too expensive, we can buy a new Monarch Debonair and get pretty much the same results, but it's going to work really well for a lot of people.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
It does seems like it would be what I am looking for. Unfortunately the GT Sensor runs a 7.25"x1.75" which I do not see as an option on their chart.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Is this one any different that the protos floating around that fox has been planning on making?
Good timing since they're lagging.

edit: just went back and looked, this one looks like a more extreme version neg/pos ratio-wise. Eh?

Regardless though......"corset" :rofl:

Last edited:

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I've got a couple on the way for review in two different types of frames (a VPP and a dw-link), will post up my thoughts on here once I've had my way with them. Knowing Steve, they'll do exactly what they claim, but riding coil exclusively in all my bikes at the moment I'll have pretty high standards as well.

CBJ - from the graphs, these sleeves should provide the float with two key things over stock:
1. Lower spring rate in the first ~10% of travel, eliminating most air spring harshness
2. Slightly higher spring rate in middle of stroke and end of stroke, thus more support where needed

I think 1. is the biggest issue on air shocks, and a big reason why there is a need to run lower than ideal pressure (and support as a result) to get reasonable sensitivity and bump absorption. While these cans will give you a little more midstroke support anyway, a bigger benefit should be that you can run the amount of pressure for the level of midstroke support you desire without really sacrificing sensitivity and bump absorption in the earlier stroke.

I can't speak for your scenario personally, but I know with air shocks I always end up running them a bit softer than ideal (and thus with a wallowy midstroke) to compensate for the initial harshness that gets worse if I set it up for the support I want. I expect these will eliminate or greatly reduce that compromise. I'll comment on how well they did once I get my hands on them.

I am interested in hearing what you have to say on this. I had been considering the DB inline for my Devinci Troy, but this may be a great alternative.

-Brett

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
This looks very good, perhaps it is worth keeping and upgrading an old RP23 on my wife's bike now. Does the neg chamber have any direct effect on the mid-stroke or is it all a function of being able to run higher pressures without being concerned about the initial stroke?

PS: Apologies to Udi for unknowingly slapping him with a dislike. Must be my princess fingers in this frozen hell. :help:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Not being a suspension guru, will this negatively effect any type of suspension?

The Float on my Banshee Spitfire (version 2) is a tough cookie to setup. Sometimes it feels good, other times it feels like I'm riding with a flat tire. I feel like I have to either run it with too much air pressure so the bike sits correctly or if I want it to actually work, use too little pressure, which then makes it sag like my DH bike. :crazy:

I guess for the price I should just get one and try it now.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
maybe if you have a steeply progressive shock rate in the first third, like some of DW's designs? they are deeply progressive to get over the initial stiction, then linearize to take advantage of an air shock's natural ramp.

I feel like this is much more advantageous for bikes that are a little more regular.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
looks exactly like what I need for my SB66c.
the bigger negative air chamber is the only thing made me want to buy a debonair Monarch....
so maybe I wont be using a RC4 on it after all.....

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Just put my order in. I'm hoping it helps my setup and gets one more season of riding out of the trail bike. I'm liking the idea of a higher negative pressure and more mid stroke support. The only issue is the increase in main air pressure... we'll see what happens.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Not being a suspension guru, will this negatively effect any type of suspension?

The Float on my Banshee Spitfire (version 2) is a tough cookie to setup. Sometimes it feels good, other times it feels like I'm riding with a flat tire. I feel like I have to either run it with too much air pressure so the bike sits correctly or if I want it to actually work, use too little pressure, which then makes it sag like my DH bike. :crazy:

I guess for the price I should just get one and try it now.
candamos,

I have a Spitfire V2 that came with a Fox Float Crappy Terrible Disappointment (with Kashmir!). It took me three or four rides to figure out it is in fact the giant steaming pile of shit that everyone says it is. I replaced it with a a Monarch Debonair which is better in every possible way - makes the Float seem like a bad joke, and I can't figure out why manufactures continue to spec this shit when a better shock makes their frame ride so much better. If the Corset sleeve is anything like, or better than a Monarch, it would probably be the best money you can spend on your bike.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
^^^ Same bike same shock same impressions of the CTD. If I didn't have a CCDB I'd have ordered one of these things. Hope Steve sells a boatload of them.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
candamos,

I have a Spitfire V2 that came with a Fox Float Crappy Terrible Disappointment (with Kashmir!). It took me three or four rides to figure out it is in fact the giant steaming pile of shit that everyone says it is. I replaced it with a a Monarch Debonair which is better in every possible way - makes the Float seem like a bad joke, and I can't figure out why manufactures continue to spec this shit when a better shock makes their frame ride so much better. If the Corset sleeve is anything like, or better than a Monarch, it would probably be the best money you can spend on your bike.
Thanks for the input. It always felt like I was chasing what felt "right". One day it was great and usable, the next it would be like a pogo or something. Oh well. I will probably get this and try it out.

I'm guessing Fox has a better buy factor for some reason. Colours and looks do wonders..

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
well, it looks like FOX new sleeve and this Corset air sleeve do the same wonder.
the big Q is, if FOX will sell only the sleeve for as aftermarket part for upgrade to their clients and what will be the price...

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for the input. It always felt like I was chasing what felt "right". One day it was great and usable, the next it would be like a pogo or something. Oh well. I will probably get this and try it out.

I'm guessing Fox has a better buy factor for some reason. Colours and looks do wonders..
I've always felt the same way about the Float RP23 on my Spitfire V2 as well. Getting this air can is a lot cheaper than a new shock, so I think I'm going to try it as well.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Just received a few for testing, will write something up when I get a chance.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
got mine installed. haven't ridden it yet, but bouncing on the thing, it's significantly more supple off the top. coil-esque, even. looking forward to giving it a go.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
By the time I ordered mine I was told it would take at a week because of the unforeseen high demand. Mine will be going on a clapped out Scott Ransom that currently has a DHX Air tuned by Avalanche.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Very curious how this will affect VPP. I am currently in the market for a suspension upgrade from my RP23 and was considering the CCDB Inline, I just noticed this a few days ago. The fact its a quarter of the price is what has my eyes glued for a real world review.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That could be a pretty interesting shock, some kind of frankenshock with the corset air can and a external low speed via avalanche...