Quantcast

DH AM style goes wrong! Over cliff crash

Argonzero

Chimp
Nov 25, 2002
Garden Grove

Just sharing my crash video from a trail in Laguna Beach down here in Socal. Its an awesome trail that has this gnarly downhill to a left hand before a cliff. We've ran this trail on DH bikes all the time, but I decided to run it on my do it all mountain build intense slopestyle. I ended up going over the bars, ejection style. I've always heard of people going over the cliff, but never saw how they would manage that until now. I ended up about 50 feet down the side of the cliff. I've heard of a lot of people going over, including a pro rider, and breaking bones ect. A friend's friend did this solo a while back and was stranded for a few hours with a broken arm and had to hike up the cliff by himself with a broken arm. I was SUPER LUCKY that day and made it out with just a bunch of scratches and bruises. Hit my head about three times tumbling with the Leatt on, and didn't think it did much until the day after when my neck and tops of my shoulders were sore. I'm fairly confidant that the Leatt reduced the injuries I would have inflicted on myself.

The camera popped off after my first face plant, but there is a frame in the slow-mo where I'm flying down the side of the cliff. I ended up past the crest of the cliff, so my friend was also frantically searching for me. I couldn't stop laughing at those two scenes. The only thing that was truly creepy thing was that I stopped 3 feet from a sizable free fall section. I probably wouldn't have gotten killed, but it would have hurt a lot more for sure.

Anyways, if you know the trail and ever thought those going over the cliff stories were old wives tales here's proof that it can happen! LOL I'm sure you guys are pretty damn good though compared to myself.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
After seeing the pic of Lopes riding down that....the helmet cam video does no justice! Holy cr@p that's steep!