Quantcast

DH in Moab during Dec?

Morgan

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
all lit up
so the fam is planning a winter trip to get out of the snow, they are thinking Moab, I would love to do some riding but my online research doesnt really answer all of my questions, is there riding year round, it looks mostly xc is this true? id perfer dh, so does the lift always or or are there shuttles, as you can tell i do not know much and would love to get any info/insights anyone has, thanks for the time and help:clapping:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
there are no lifts in moab that would be a sacrilege...there are pleanty of trails you can manage on a dh bike esp amasaback which you would hike up then bomb down lots of rock and small ledges all the way down. On the same loop you could do jacksons coming off the top which is a very exposed slower technical downhill trail.

Also i dont know if it will be open or not because of elevation and snow but the LPS portion of porcy is amazing...ask the shop guys they will hook you up.

srphillips89

Monkey
Jan 29, 2006
Boone NC
If there isn't snow, which there may be that time of year, I highly recommend the Hazard county trail to Porcupine Rim. Poison Spider runs a shuttle to Hazard county and you just ride back to town. My favorite trail of all time. DH bike worthy, as long as you are in shape

Morgan

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
all lit up
thanks for the info, hopefully we wont be leaving 1 snowy place for another... do you know about how long the shuttle takes? ty

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I heard December is clear out time for Moab locals. The weather turns wet....

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Call about shuttles, cuz some of the shuttles take you nearly to the top of the La Sal mountains (~8000 feet?) and they do get snow, so the top portions may be closed.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Just came back from Moab last week.

We did the Whole Enchilada ride, minus the very top portion (Burro Pass?). We all had DH bikes and armor - and I have to say, it wasn't that kind of terrain. Don't get me wrong, it was a fun series of trails, but its trail bike stuff, not full on DH rig - you will push your bike a lot. I kept wishing for a Nomad, which seemed to be the bike of choice for everyone there. Everything except the DH section of Porcupine just didn't require a big bike.

It was pretty freakin' cold, but not unbearable yet - the shuttles were still going and we didn't see any snow, so you should be ok. Hazard County would have been a lot more fun if it had been a little tacky.

Barlett's Wash is always a blast on the big bike, along with Amasa Back. Have fun.

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
We did the Whole Enchilada ride, minus the very top portion (Burro Pass?). We all had DH bikes and armor - and I have to say, it wasn't that kind of terrain.

Hazard County would have been a lot more fun if it had been a little tacky.
Does the Whole Enchilada ride include Hazard County? We are headed down there next wknd and Hazard is on my list of trails to hit up. Everything I've read says "bring the DH costume". You're saying it's better w/ just a trail bike? I was planning on just bringing my Enduro SL. Anyone else ridden Hazard County? Opinions?

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Does the Whole Enchilada ride include Hazard County? We are headed down there next wknd and Hazard is on my list of trails to hit up. Everything I've read says "bring the DH costume". You're saying it's better w/ just a trail bike? I was planning on just bringing my Enduro SL. Anyone else ridden Hazard County? Opinions?
In fact, we started with Hazard County, to Kokopelli, to LPS to UPS to Porcupine...and a 7 mile road ride back to our camp.

The only big stuff on Hazard are a few rock-reinforced double jumps. I rode my Karpiel in full armor, which was complete overkill. You'll be fine on your Enduro, but I'd wear a little bit of armor if you are gonna go for the jumps. Be sure to look at them first before going for it.

From what I've heard, there used to be more stunts on Hazard.

Its a fun ride though!

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Moab can be cold in winter, well forties. Sedonna AZ is pretty cool and there are a few shuttles. I didn't do anything hardcore- just Snebly downhill, which is fast and flowy.

bootleg would be my choice if possible.

rideagainst

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
CA
theres this certain city down in California (i think you have spent some time there) where your friends still ride and always wonder, "what the hell ever happened to Morgan?" A certain jacknugz has even received a new whip.... Think the rents would be interested?

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
If your family is planning to escape cold weather in December, Moab is not the place to go. I used to live in CO and go there very often but I wouldn't recomend that time of year unless you are going for pure sight seeing. It is definitely a beautiful place to see with snow but there is no shelter from the weather (can be very windy). Also, as others have stated you'll want a bike with two chainrings up front. A good solid 5-6" travel rig is ideal for the varrying terrain. There are a lot of long downhill sections on many of the trails but almost all of them involve some climbing and rolling single track as well. Call some shops to get the locals oppinions before heading there.

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
In fact, we started with Hazard County, to Kokopelli, to LPS to UPS to Porcupine...and a 7 mile road ride back to our camp.

The only big stuff on Hazard are a few rock-reinforced double jumps. I rode my Karpiel in full armor, which was complete overkill. You'll be fine on your Enduro, but I'd wear a little bit of armor if you are gonna go for the jumps. Be sure to look at them first before going for it.

From what I've heard, there used to be more stunts on Hazard.

Its a fun ride though!
Thanks for the info man. Sounds like just a full face and leg armor will do the trick. And yeah, apparently Hazard used to be illegal and had way bigger jumps/stunts than it does now. Still stoked to go shred though.:banana:

For anyone going to Moab, I just picked up a little guide book called Rider Mel's Mountain Bike Guide to Moab. You can order it online. Super helpful w/ maps and directions and whatnot. Seems worth the 15 bucks already.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Thanks for the info man. Sounds like just a full face and leg armor will do the trick. And yeah, apparently Hazard used to be illegal and had way bigger jumps/stunts than it does now. Still stoked to go shred though.:banana:

For anyone going to Moab, I just picked up a little guide book called Rider Mel's Mountain Bike Guide to Moab. You can order it online. Super helpful w/ maps and directions and whatnot. Seems worth the 15 bucks already.
Don't bring the full face for the porcupine ride. There's enough climbing to make it annoying.......even for your skinny little turbo ass.

Your enduro will be fine, just pump your tires up to rediculous pressures to save your rims. Traction is not an issue.

Your gemini would be fine too though. Might allow you to beat on the trail a little harder......

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
Don't bring the full face for the porcupine ride. There's enough climbing to make it annoying.......even for your skinny little turbo ass.

Your enduro will be fine, just pump your tires up to rediculous pressures to save your rims. Traction is not an issue.

Your gemini would be fine too though. Might allow you to beat on the trail a little harder......
Let's leave my ass out of this, thank you.

Yeah, the Gemini would be a perfect Porcupine bike but I sold it last year when I upgraded to the Demo. Not all of us can have 3 freeride bikes ya know. :busted: I really just want to bring my Enduro to try it on some more freeridey kinda terrain. Although still thinking about bringing the Demo for Bartlett Wash.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Let's leave my ass out of this, thank you.

Yeah, the Gemini would be a perfect Porcupine bike but I sold it last year when I upgraded to the Demo. Not all of us can have 3 freeride bikes ya know. :busted: I really just want to bring my Enduro to try it on some more freeridey kinda terrain. Although still thinking about bringing the Demo for Bartlett Wash.
I forgot you bought a demo..... Bartlett is fun. Even if it's just walking around looking at things.

But yeah, your enduro will be fun on porc. I rode my uzzi there last time but the enduro is coming on the next trip.

Take some pics. And go ride amasa back too.

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
I forgot you bought a demo..... Bartlett is fun. Even if it's just walking around looking at things.

But yeah, your enduro will be fun on porc. I rode my uzzi there last time but the enduro is coming on the next trip.

Take some pics. And go ride amasa back too.
Haven't ridden Amasa Back in a few years so that's part of the plan. And I figure Bartlett is a good place for the wife to watch me act like an idiot w/o requiring a whole lot of pedaling for her.

So lemme make sure I have this straight: the shuttle takes you up to Hazard County and you can roll this all the way to the bottom of Porcupine? Kickass.