Quantcast

DH Protection Questions.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
Hey guys, I'm looking for some monkey help here. For the past few years I've been protected buy SixSixOne Coresaver and SixSixOne Evo Knee / elbow pads. All in all I've been very happy with the products, they are all light weight and don't feel like I have a ton of protection on.

But my armors is starting to fall apart so this winter I would like to replace everything. Basically I'm looking for your opinions for replacement armor. I might just replace everything with the same SixSixOne products but I wanted to shop around for something that may be better.

Whats important to me is having the least amount of protection on but have all the major areas covered (core, knees, and elbows)

Thanks for your help

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Ummm what is the difference between the 5850 and the 7850? Same price, all the same bullet points under the desc. what gives?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I'm unclear if you think the "not feeling like you have a ton of protection on" is a good thing or a bad thing.

If you're looking for the "barely there" feeling, the TLD stuff should fit the bill. They're pretty...minimalistic.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
If you dont wanna feel like your wearing a tonne of protection, the TLD kit is perfect for you. I was a long time non user of upper body armor but a recent close to death kinda changed that. I cant see the TLD stuff really saving you from much, small lacerations, minimal padding in a tumble might keep you from bruising but its not like one of those bear suits by any means. I think the more padding you go with, your gonna give way to a bit of movement in any case/brand.
That POC stuff is mega expensive but I hear its amazing. Also, look into Alpine Stars, they make a really great shin pad 2 piece system that I see alot of people rocking now.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
If you dont wanna feel like your wearing a tonne of protection, the TLD kit is perfect for you. I was a long time non user of upper body armor but a recent close to death kinda changed that. I cant see the TLD stuff really saving you from much, small lacerations, minimal padding in a tumble might keep you from bruising but its not like one of those bear suits by any means. I think the more padding you go with, your gonna give way to a bit of movement in any case/brand.
That POC stuff is mega expensive but I hear its amazing. Also, look into Alpine Stars, they make a really great shin pad 2 piece system that I see alot of people rocking now.
Yeah, I can get the POC stuff for a decent price, wish I could see the TLD shirt in person but I can't find it around here locally... maybe I'll call around and widen my search. My biggest reservation with the TLD shirt is the spine protection, not sure if it's good enough.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Yeah, I can get the POC stuff for a decent price, wish I could see the TLD shirt in person but I can't find it around here locally... maybe I'll call around and widen my search. My biggest reservation with the TLD shirt is the spine protection, not sure if it's good enough.
You're in Denver, right? Performance Cycle on Broadway stocks the TLD armor, and a bunch of other stuff.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
If you've been using SixSixOne and have been happy with them then I'd just go with that again. I use the Evo knee pads when riding XC/AM stuff and recently bought the SixSixOne Race Knee/Shin and Elbow pads for when I feel like trying something stupid. Actually come to think of it my full face helmet is also made by SixSixOne. I like their stuff and so far it's kept me from hurting myself too bad.

dhrookie

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
Obetz, OH
POC doesn't play well with a Leatt brace, loved it but I like walking more. Best bet these days is the TLD stuff, though it's a pain in the ass to get off. As far as lower protection I've fallin in love with the Alpine Stars Moab knee/shin combo.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I have the 661 Evo Pressure and the long sleeve Subgear. The Evo suit is really nice, and protects well, but its hot and I had to modify it to work with my Leatt. The subgear kinda sux, but I wear it when I'm just taking easy runs.

POC is coming out with a new upper body suit next year with the VPD 2.0 pads that looks very low profile, but should still have good protection.
O'Neal also has a new Stealth suit coming out that looks similar to the POC- made with the same stuff that's in their Sinner knee pads...of which I have and really like. Pinkbike has some pics of the O'Neal suit.

Both of those look like they should be a significant step forward for armor that isn't a PITA to wear.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
You're in Denver, right? Performance Cycle on Broadway stocks the TLD armor, and a bunch of other stuff.
They do... I went and checked it out today and went home with the 7850. The back protection isn't as good as a hard plastic shell, but it's pretty substantial... I usually have a pack on anyway, which also helps, and my POC armored shorts have tailbone protection. It's very lightweight and comfortable to wear, and the level of protection seems good for mtb use.