Quantcast

DH Race Wheels

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
ideas for a good set of race wheels. was thining of Outlaws, King Earl's, Sun Ringle ADD. $500. price range... need thoughts, suggestions
Hmmm...I'm running a slightly more expensive set but they work well...maybe some tweaks to the set-up would get it down into your range...

Rims - Mavic EX823 (Option to go tubeless if I want...)
Hubs - Hadley
Spokes - 14 gauge
Tires - Kenda Nevegal 2.5 DH casing
Rear Cassette - SRAM PG-970 (12-26 spread)

I can't remember off the top of my head what that set-up ran me...

You could prolly get away with cheaper hubs that would be serviceable...

I have heard good things from a couple buddies that ride the Outlaws though. That might be the easiest option for ya.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
if these wheels are just for racing you could check out the bontrager rhythm elite wheels. $500 for the set and they are pretty damn light.

In8Racing

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Trying to find some skillz...
32 hole Mavic EX 721's with DT 2.0/1.8 spokes.

Pick your hubs.

I have an Azonic rear hub on one set with a Formula front, and a WTB rear with a Marzo on the front (this the lighter "race" wheelset). You should be able to build a set like this up for considerably less than $500. Actually, you could probably build 2 sets...

These make a decent tire profile with 2.35 Intenses and 2.5 Maxxis. Anything bigger, I'd run a 729 or a DT 6.1.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Hmmm...I'm running a slightly more expensive set but they work well...maybe some tweaks to the set-up would get it down into your range...

Rims - Mavic EX823 (Option to go tubeless if I want...)
Hubs - Hadley
Spokes - 14 gauge
Tires - Kenda Nevegal 2.5 DH casing
Rear Cassette - SRAM PG-970 (12-26 spread)
I like your style ive got that exact setup in the rear.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
I just finished up a set of Mavic 823 UST's on Hope hubs with Dt swiss supercomps. I went with alloy nipples. somthing I have passed on before. They came out sweet as can be!!!! Looking forward to getting them on the kids bike and watch him go!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Do the math
hadley hubs 32h+Mavic 729's+DT 1.8-2.0 Revolutions=bitchen wheels

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
there was a guy at my local shop who has supposedly raced for 3 seasons on the same set of azonic outlaws. And it's not for lack of use or abuse. He just won a plattekill race last year.

i use em on my freeride bike (i'm no racer) and i love em.

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
single tracks/rhyno lite xls

king/dtswiss hubs

dt revolutions in the front
dt alpine 3s or supercomps in the rear

dt standard aluminum nips in your choice of color

just replace or true the rims every season. i've seen single tracks for 20 bux each on sale and every rim is going to dent when you hit a rock so better to dent a 20 dollar rim.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Hadleys... I know of a pair for sale in the classifieds...:spam: not sayin who's though.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
single tracks/rhyno lite xls

king/dtswiss hubs

dt revolutions in the front
dt alpine 3s or supercomps in the rear

dt standard aluminum nips in your choice of color

just replace or true the rims every season. i've seen single tracks for 20 bux each on sale and every rim is going to dent when you hit a rock so better to dent a 20 dollar rim.
ive found for me this is the way to go, buy a high quaility hub that will last, and just by new rims and spokes every year.
this way you get the lightest wheelset possible and it ends up being cheaper.

i ran a king rear hub, no name front hub on rhyno lites with spokes of some sort and they lasted almost the whole season w/o a true, this was more to do with the build than anything because the front was a factory wheel and its still going strong. this year im trying the d5.1 prolly a little heavier and possibly stronger but mainly for the tire profile.

the one thing im wondering about are the sapim cx-ray spokes they claim to be the strongest spokes on the market and also the lightest, and also one of the most expensive. is it worth buying these spokes and searching out a really seasoned wheel builder and try and push 2 seasons out of them? i know this totally contradicts what i wrote above but im just wondering.

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
ive found for me this is the way to go, buy a high quaility hub that will last, and just by new rims and spokes every year.
this way you get the lightest wheelset possible and it ends up being cheaper.

i ran a king rear hub, no name front hub on rhyno lites with spokes of some sort and they lasted almost the whole season w/o a true, this was more to do with the build than anything because the front was a factory wheel and its still going strong. this year im trying the d5.1 prolly a little heavier and possibly stronger but mainly for the tire profile.

the one thing im wondering about are the sapim cx-ray spokes they claim to be the strongest spokes on the market and also the lightest, and also one of the most expensive. is it worth buying these spokes and searching out a really seasoned wheel builder and try and push 2 seasons out of them? i know this totally contradicts what i wrote above but im just wondering.
spokes are fairly easy to get 2 seasons out of as long as you keep then tensioned...just replace nipples...and yes..the cpx rays will make your wheels stupid light. kid at my shop built a set dt on 5.1s and they are honestly the lightest wheels i have ever felt on a dh bike...easily half pound lighter than standard build up.

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
if you can find them. i couldn't get any last year. i waited a month and no luck. my friend has been waiting 3 months now. we are in canada though :plthumbsdown:

either my next wheels will be stock alex on specialized hubs, or if i can get..stans ztr freeride rims, proloc aluminums, sapim cx rays, on kingerrss!! but the season has started and i have not got the ball rolling yet:monkeydance:

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
I'm running 2 sets of Outlaws (Wht/Blk) 1 set of Transitions (RED) and 1 set of Single tracks (there my WAYBACK UP). Every set has a different tire setup depending on conditions.

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
I put together a set of hopes on a pair of DTex540s (the easier to justify replacing version of the 5.1) with standard spokes. They weigh a little under 2000 grams.