Quantcast

DH Team and Howitzer BB?

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Hey,

I've been thinking of upgrading the mid range ISIS crankset on my 03 Giant DH Team to something that has a bearing life greater than three months. As I'm sure you know however, the DH Team comes rather annoyingly with a 100mm BB shell, which as far as I can see limits my choices by a fair amount. The set up that I want to run is a Truvativ Howizter BB with 100mm shell/66mm chainline, Holzfeller cranks, and a BB shell mounted Gamut chain guide (ISCG being a bit of a pain due to the original mount tab and an e13 adapter spacing the guide too far outboard).

Basically I don't know, and can't find, what the 66mm chainline is equivalent to in old school spindle length. Even if I found this, I've heard a variety of different ideal lengths for the bike, ranging from 128mm to 143mm and I don't know what to go for. I'm running the original Race Face BB currently, does anyone know the length of this as it seems to give an acceptable chain line?

I'm also a bit worried about the chain guide due to the outboard bearings. Will I have to space the guides out really far to get them to work, or is the crank moved closer to the bearings to compensate?

Help! Will this set-up work?! :shocked:

Cheers