Quantcast

DH Tires What to go with?

right now i am running Intense SR50 DH tires on my 02 specialized big hit because thats what was on the bike when i purcahsed it used. Ive been riding the biek about 3 months with these, and cant help but notice how ****ing heavy they are. I know DH tires aren't light, but these seem a bit extreme. Anyone have any suggestions for good gripping Dh tires for my bike?

i'm look for aroudn 2.5 -2.7 inch wide 24 inch rear adn 26 inch front.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
high rollers, minions, or comp 24/32 seem to be the most popular tires here, with the kendas coming up more and more frequently. I'm not too much of a weight weenie, but I'm pretty sure any of these are lighter than those intense tires. www.go-ride.com has a really nice chart with actual widths and weights of several downhill tires.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
High Roller's are sweet, and they come in both 24 and 26 inch and 2.5-2.7 sizes. They grip well and roll fast.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Zutroy said:
I'll cast the vote for Kendas. Nevagal and Blue Grooves are great.
Yeah me too, great all around tires, great sticky rubber, good balance between relatively light weight and a strong casing...but not sure about a 24 though.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I ran nevegals last season and loved them. Best traction all over, wet and wild snowshoe west va, nice and dry utah colorado and oregon, and the perfect dirt of whistler and the shore.

They were great tires but the downside. i bottomed my tires alot off 10+ foot drops running like 20psi at whistler and im like 150lbs. They rolled pretty slow which i didnt mind but in some conditions it was rough.

I think my favorite tires overall that i've run are maxxis but i will be on michelins this coming season and i have heard wonderful things about them.

Stinky Boy

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
Arkport NY
Maxxis Minions are an awesome tire and I have them but I am going to take a look at the new Nokian Gazzaloddi G's 2.6. They look like they are going to be an awesome tire for all around conditions. They have a durometer of 50a.

Good luck in your search!

NotQuiteJdm

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Maryland
2.8 Michelin comp 32 S (front) 2.5 Maxxis Minion ST (rear)
I have a 2.35 Kenda Blue Groove that I also use for the front in less hairy condition's and it's bigger then the 2.5 Minion

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
You really should give us the low down on what type of conditions you are riding in. Knowing that will help greatly narrow down what tires you should be looking for. knowing that Michelin has a great range of DH tires ranging from the big ol' comp 32 that will grip in just about any condition you can throw at it to the Comp 24.1 that has very low rolling resistance for a DH tire while still maintaining amazing traction in a very wide variety of conditions. There are several other tires as well that excel in other, more specific conditions as well. Deffinately look into their line.

snoopz666

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
now residing in kamloops
OGRipper said:
Yeah me too, great all around tires, great sticky rubber, good balance between relatively light weight and a strong casing...but not sure about a 24 though.
:stupid: i love my kenda nevegal/blugroove combintation only bad thing is they are really slow rolling. but oh well for the amound of grip you get its worth it. and the only time i notice it is when im riding on pavement.
when im on the trails im going to fast to notice :p

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Dude, if you ride the real trails in SLO, Kenda's will not hold up. I have a Kenda in front and it constantly flats. It's a 2.5 Blue Groove, and it's rad in MDO but every other trail ruins it. Go for Minions, with a front Minion in both the front and rear. Best tire set up of all in SLO. The Intense Ex 2.35 is a great back tire here in SLO as well. High Roller's suck around these parts. Too square to get traction, I tried to ride one last year and it was all bad. Which trails are you riding regularly? I've seen you on campus before, and you totally avoided me, I ride a blue Heckler, a white M1, a blue Breezer road bike, a bright pink fixed gear, and a burgendy 20" Standard BMX. Right now I'm the dude with the crutches on the back pack and the huge cast on the right foot. Don't be scared...

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I'll be rollin' on 2.5 Nevegals this season for the most part. In the mud I'll move down to 2.35 Nevegals and cut out some knobs.

bikenweed said:
Go for Minions, with a front Minion in both the front and rear. Best tire set up of all in SLO. Which trails are you riding regularly? I've seen you on campus before, and you totally avoided me, I ride a blue Heckler, a white M1, a blue Breezer road bike, a bright pink fixed gear, and a burgendy 20" Standard BMX. Right now I'm the dude with the crutches on the back pack and the huge cast on the right foot. Don't be scared...
When have i avoided you? Or when have you seen me?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
So what differences are there in running a Minion F in the rear. Ive been thinking about this.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I tried running lighter FRish tires on my DH bike and didn't want to leave my yard with them. I tried 2.4 WTB MotoRaptors. They are much lighter than my old Maxxis Mobster 2.7 in the F and Highroller 2.5 in the R. Frankly the WTB worked great on my HT for XC/FRish riding but on the DH bike were a no go.

I am not sure why but it could be the MUCH thicker sidewalls on my Maxxis DH tires helped, or the flat profiles, but the WTB just skidded all over the place. I have been running Maxxis tires so long I may jsut be to used to them.

I put a Mob 2.7 50duro back on the front, and a Highroller 2.35 50duro on the back. You can try the softer compounds but I am to cheap to replace tires that often. :o:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Kanter said:
SRY front and 60D rear and they should last a whole season of normal riding.
Apperantly you have never ridden behind me to smell my bubbling brake fuild and suck in the dust from my death grip braking. :D

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
heikkihall said:
You really should give us the low down on what type of conditions you are riding in. Knowing that will help greatly narrow down what tires you should be looking for. knowing that Michelin has a great range of DH tires ranging from the big ol' comp 32 that will grip in just about any condition you can throw at it to the Comp 24.1 that has very low rolling resistance for a DH tire while still maintaining amazing traction in a very wide variety of conditions. There are several other tires as well that excel in other, more specific conditions as well. Deffinately look into their line.
agreed!

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
You should also consider the Comp 32 and the Blue Groove for the front. Your terrain and style of riding should dictate your choice.

It looks like you'll be riding in S. CA (dry) and you need a 24 rear (no Mich)
My opinion: 24" Nevegal rear, 26" Blue Groove front

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
i like tioga im cheap so i just get the factory downhill. but my friend has white tigers and there not heavey and there SWEET they grip really well and he rode on street and downhill and they have lasted him since 03!

SDminitrucker said:
Thanks guys. I ride in teh central coast and san diego, so i ride on pretty much every soil type around. Loose wet/ Rocky loose/ hard pack

let me make this more clear. I usulaly ride on rocky and looserocky trails in SLO. occationally parts of the trail have no rocks where its hardpack and smooth dirt.

I was decided on theminions, but the nevegal came into question after i've been hearing all this good stuff about it.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I'm currently diggin the WTB Timberwolf tires. Running the DH 2.50 version. Not bad, I must say!

SPrider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
ya 2.5 minion dh f slry front, 2.5 highroller slry, minion tracks well and holds its line, highroller rolls fast with ramped knobs for braking and works good in tacky wet to dry sandy. And aren't heavy compared to other DH 2 ply casting tires.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
SPrider said:
ya 2.5 minion dh f slry front, 2.5 highroller slry, minion tracks well and holds its line, highroller rolls fast with ramped knobs for braking and works good in tacky wet to dry sandy. And aren't heavy compared to other DH 2 ply casting tires.
They dont make the SRY anymore.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
WHATS UP! MAXXIS SUCK!
Hey kanter I got ahold of 2 2.5 minion dhf 40d slowreezay today. New!
I just put the kendas on, I'll save my minions. The kenda 2.5 bluegroove on front and the nevegal rear with stans, I took it for a ride and yeah they hook up awesome.
Thankfully, I thought I was trading down by going to them. Instead it was a sideways trade, no loss no gain pretty much par for each other.