Quantcast

DHR2 Prototype Analysis

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Better. No stupid angled braking knobs, and less intermediate knob to interfere with letting the side knobs do their thing. Still kinda looks like someone siped it just for the sake of doing so without thinking too much about what they were doing.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Hmmm. Not sure what the major advantage will be over a High Roller 2. Maybe need to see them in person.

I do know this though, with the HR, HR2, DHF, and DHR2, my head is spinning with all the possible front / rear combos to try out!

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Hmmm. Not sure what the major advantage will be over a High Roller 2. Maybe need to see them in person.

I do know this though, with the HR, HR2, DHF, and DHR2, my head is spinning with all the possible front / rear combos to try out!
Unless they altered the side knobs they'll be stiffer then those on the HR2, which I've found gets a bit sketch on hard pack.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Unless they altered the side knobs they'll be stiffer then those on the HR2, which I've found gets a bit sketch on hard pack.
That looks to be the case. A stiffer cornering edge more akin to the DHF. Looks like the perfect rear DH tire, imo.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Big, straight, flat braking edges = good rear tire.
Yup.

While you're here, mind giving me thoughts on front tires? I've been running Minion DHFs front and rear for about forever, curious if some of the new offerings might suit my needs better. Most of what I ride is loose over hardpack, with some real hardpack thrown in. Not much wet, not much loam, just dusty and/or hard. The High Roller II looks good for the most part, my only concern is the smaller side knobs being a little squirmy on hard stuff. Thoughts?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yup.

While you're here, mind giving me thoughts on front tires? I've been running Minion DHFs front and rear for about forever, curious if some of the new offerings might suit my needs better. Most of what I ride is loose over hardpack, with some real hardpack thrown in. Not much wet, not much loam, just dusty and/or hard. The High Roller II looks good for the most part, my only concern is the smaller side knobs being a little squirmy on hard stuff. Thoughts?
Stick with the minion DHFs or some butchers.

In dry conditions, the lopes BBGs are the only tires I've ridden that I like on the front better for hard cornering, but if you're riding a bunch of super loose deep dust, the centers get just a tad squirmy. Not too much worse than the butchers or minions but they only come in a 2.3 right now and it's close to a real 2.3, not a kenda balloon. It's just too damn small in my opinion for a full blown dh rig.

Keep in mind that just because a bunch of new tires are available, that doesn't mean they are any good. Just more shlt floating around now.

If you ride a soft compound front tire, I'd stay away from the HR2s. One thing about those smaller knobs is that since they deform more, they also wear out quicker and then get REALLY pliable. I rode with a buddy up in washington this summer where there's a lot less rock and gravel and more roots and moist dirt. His HR2s were holding up pretty well, even the rear. The kind of stuff you and I ride tears tires up a little quicker though.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Stick with the minion DHFs or some butchers.

In dry conditions, the lopes BBGs are the only tires I've ridden that I like on the front better for hard cornering, but if you're riding a bunch of super loose deep dust, the centers get just a tad squirmy. Not too much worse than the butchers or minions but they only come in a 2.3 right now and it's close to a real 2.3, not a kenda balloon. It's just too damn small in my opinion for a full blown dh rig.

Keep in mind that just because a bunch of new tires are available, that doesn't mean they are any good. Just more shlt floating around now.

If you ride a soft compound front tire, I'd stay away from the HR2s. One thing about those smaller knobs is that since they deform more, they also wear out quicker and then get REALLY pliable. I rode with a buddy up in washington this summer where there's a lot less rock and gravel and more roots and most dirt. His HR2s were holding up pretty well, even the rear. The kind of stuff you and I ride tears tires up a little quicker though.
Cool, thanks. I'm not desperate to try something else, just the rash of new stuff had me wondering if something else might be better. If you're thinking not, I'll pass. I do tend to run ST Minions, so sounds like the HR2 might not be for me, here.

I agree, the BBG looks awesome. If they make a bigger one I'll try it. I want to like Schwalbe's stuff, their casings and rubber compounds are good but it seems like they do something stupid tread wise with just about everything they make. The angled center knobs and oddly placed intermediates make no sense on the Wicked Will. I actually like the Big Betty ok as a trail bike tire, but the side knob arrangement is fvcking stupid. etc.

WParsons

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
A little bit of loose but mostly hardpack, then try to get a tire that has larger knobs (larger surface area) with straight braking edges. So the DHF is a good choice for that. Stay away from smaller knobs if you can. Too squirmy.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I agree they do some really really dumb stuff with their tread patterns but their burlier single ply casings rule. Light, high volume, tough, seal well tubeless. Not DH worthy necessarily but for trail bikes they're great.

But yeah, their tread patterns leave a lot to be desired. The Big Betty works better than it looks like it should somehow (and actually it looks less stupid in person than it does on teh interwebz) but I'm totally with you on most of their stuff, tread wise.

Edit: the BB only works as a front tire. It is beyond sh!tty in back.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
@kid-woo: Muddy Mary's are better (or as good) than DHF's.

I havent tried any other tires - but hell I'd only try Dirty Dan's. As far as I am concerned their lineup is redundant beyond MM's and DD's.

Just like In my oppinion Maxxis lineup is redundant beyond DHF's and Wet Screams. Ok HR's are fine when you desperately need a tire and shop only has some HR's on stock.

WParsons

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
@kid-woo: Muddy Mary's are better (or as good) than DHF's.

I havent tried any other tires - but hell I'd only try Dirty Dan's. As far as I am concerned their lineup is redundant beyond MM's and DD's.

Just like In my oppinion Maxxis lineup is redundant beyond DHF's and Wet Screams. Ok HR's are fine when you desperately need a tire and shop only has some HR's on stock.
If you hit a steep fall line dry or moist loamy track where panic braking is key to making it down in a controllable manner, that's when you see the merit of the HR2 and DHR2. If you don't have trails like that then you could get away with other designs. Fortunately in BC those types of trails and race courses are everywhere so we tend to see the functionality of those two tires.

There is a trail here in my backyard that is easily the steepest trail you or or will ever ride and that's where a lot of my testing takes place. Its not only fall line stand up braking but it also changes direction suddenly. Its those trails where the HR2 was developed and compared to the short-comings of the DHF and old HR.

Think of the HR2 as an in-between of the DHF and a mud tire.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
If you hit a steep fall line dry or moist loamy track where panic braking is key to making it down in a controllable manner, that's when you see the merit of the HR2 and DHR2. If you don't have trails like that then you could get away with other designs. Fortunately in BC those types of trails and race courses are everywhere so we tend to see the functionality of those two tires.

There is a trail here in my backyard that is easily the steepest trail you or or will ever ride and that's where a lot of my testing takes place. Its not only fall line stand up braking but it also changes direction suddenly. Its those trails where the HR2 was developed and compared to the short-comings of the DHF and old HR.

Think of the HR2 as an in-between of the DHF and a mud tire.

We have some trails like that in CO, one where your butt is on the back tire for a good half mile... DHFs work fine but more aggressive tread with big blocks and wider spacing work even better, like the Schwalbe Muddy Mary. If you're going to be in CO let me know...

The new DHR2 looks like it'll be faster rolling too, I was running dhrs in 60a and 3c, switched out for the Butcher 2.3 and the Butcher rolls way faster than the dhrs, even the 60a. The 3c feels really sluggish on low angle trails vs. the Butcher, and the Butcher gives up nothing in the way of grip.

WParsons

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
pics/vids? Sounds exciting.
Anyone remember Dustin Adams? He used to be Canada's top DH racer back in the early 2000's with a few WC and Norba podiums plus National championships. Well, it used to be his training trail way back then. Kinda in disrepair but still usable. I also have an off shoot that runs directly into my backyard that only I know about. Its scary steep.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Anyone remember Dustin Adams? He used to be Canada's top DH racer back in the early 2000's with a few WC and Norba podiums plus National championships. Well, it used to be his training trail way back then. Kinda in disrepair but still usable. I also have an off shoot that runs directly into my backyard that only I know about. Its scary steep.
What happened to Dustin, out of interest? Got two top-12 finishes in the 2004 world cup, and then disappeared? How come?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
lots of good racers dissapear.

I want nathan rennie on yeti back again,bassicly 2001 era back.
True, and it always seems odd to me. Quitting when you're arguably in the top 20 in the world at what you do, and still appear to be getting better (as was the case with Dustin.)