Quantcast

Diabloween Festival 2007

skier8689

Chimp
May 2, 2007
cortlandt manor, NY
i think he meant it in the way that the average rider is basically stripped of all chances of winning a prize... especially when u pull a backflip in an awesome costume haha i dont see a problem but i think thats where hes coming from

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
how's that lame?
dude.. it's totally lame. the winner should have been some local hero who cased all three jumps while doing one handers :busted:

seriously though... it is a competition open/jam fortmat. you could be pro, am, or nobody.... anyone who throws it down can win, and there is nothing lame about that

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
yea nothing lame about those guys winning. hell anyone could have out done them in the jump jam. but no one did. so they deserve it. congrats to them.

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
i think he meant it in the way that the average rider is basically stripped of all chances of winning a prize... especially when u pull a backflip in an awesome costume haha i dont see a problem but i think thats where hes coming from
Not true! My little brother is an average rider, and "stripped" AS his chance to win a prize! Didn't even pull a trick on the Dominions, and came home with a set of Magura Gustavs— all for riding around in a banana hammock!

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i think GR did deserve to win, especially with the custume but next year i think there should be 2 classes-as far as i can see george will probably keep winning, not that he does not deserve it but i dont think anybody is capable of beating him

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
i think GR did deserve to win, especially with the custume but next year i think there should be 2 classes-as far as i can see george will probably keep winning, not that he does not deserve it but i dont think anybody is capable of beating him
OR, even better...get a bunch more "pros" to compete and make it more fun to watch for those of us who have barely mastered the straight air.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
so are they going to make a pro2 class for next year and make beneke race against himself?

people just have to step it up thats all. anyone can beat GR but they are going to have to step it up and work at it thats all. its not like GR is cheating by being good. haha thats retarted.

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I think it's funny to complain about not being able to win prizes in a contest that you didn't have to pay to enter. Isn't the point to provide a good show for those watching? Ability classes are only really necessary in comps where you're trying to increase your paid entries, since people are more willing to pay to enter something that they have a chance of winning.

Having said that, didn't George get beaten by an amateur last year in the ad hoc Diabloween drop contest? ;)

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
if this was a paid competition, I think there would be someone that could come out and take the jump gold from George, but given that he is a hell of an all around rider and a local so he is sure to keep winning. It's plain and simple as I see it. To pull off some of the tricks that George pulls off you have to be either some young punk that doesn't have to go to work the next morning to try this crap (then they can't afford to show up for the jump jam) or you have to be a paid professional, and as stated above, they are not going to travel hundreds of miles for a non-paying gig. My hat goes off to George for what he has accomplished, he sticks his kneck out everyday he is on that bike and deserves what he gets. But then again, I keep myself vertical while in the air so maybe he is just nuts. Guess he keeps gold until some 15 year old insane BMXer borrows someone's mountain bike and makes himself known. By the way, did I read someone mention a Drop contest?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
so are they going to make a pro2 class for next year and make beneke race against himself?

people just have to step it up thats all. anyone can beat GR but they are going to have to step it up and work at it thats all. its not like GR is cheating by being good. haha thats retarted.
well i didnt even enter, so its not about me. not that i could beat him but i have some tricks in my bag. i just think that he is going to win every year until he stops riding. i mean how many other pros are going to go to a unofficial contest.

as far as the prizes, i personally dont care, i ride everything diablo does not give away

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
if this was a paid competition, I think there would be someone that could come out and take the jump gold from George, but given that he is a hell of an all around rider and a local so he is sure to keep winning. It's plain and simple as I see it. To pull off some of the tricks that George pulls off you have to be either some young punk that doesn't have to go to work the next morning to try this crap (then they can't afford to show up for the jump jam) or you have to be a paid professional, and as stated above, they are not going to travel hundreds of miles for a non-paying gig. My hat goes off to George for what he has accomplished, he sticks his kneck out everyday he is on that bike and deserves what he gets. But then again, I keep myself vertical while in the air so maybe he is just nuts. Guess he keeps gold until some 15 year old insane BMXer borrows someone's mountain bike and makes himself known. By the way, did I read someone mention a Drop contest?
BINGO

Im not taking anything away from George, or the other pro's. Its an everymans contest - most people who dont ride bikes for a living cant compete with those who do. Sure the costume is an important component, and GR's was wicked - but c'mon he won because of the jump skills - there were plenty of sweet costumes.

When people enter a race class they are overqaulified for and win, what do they call that? ...

Sponsored pro's winning swag in an open contest is not in the spirit of real competiton OR fun. I like to watch George ride, I have videos of it, I paid for them. At this type of open event, I want to see newb's, groms, locals, amataurs showcasing and climbing. There were PLENTY of skilled, non-pro riders there that could use the swag AND the recorded 'win'.

I respect Diablo's open formats and approach to competition, but it is far from ideal across the board.

Next comment - inevitably people describe this type of commentary as whining, which it is not, and to say so is a catch-all morons response when they have no legitmate counter. So if this applies to you, feel free to reply with your mocking sophomoric rants - it will only cement your character.

So - plenty of props to GR and AH and whoever else I didnt recognize, 05 Kool Aid Backflip + 07 Stay-Puft flip = a guy obsessed with fat costumes and backflips!

I will stand aside if he dresses as Paris Hilton next year and does a front flip.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
well i didnt even enter, so its not about me. not that i could beat him but i have some tricks in my bag. i just think that he is going to win every year until he stops riding. i mean how many other pros are going to go to a unofficial contest.

as far as the prizes, i personally dont care, i ride everything diablo does not give away
good answer, good attitude. I dont hate, its wack, but w/e!! I will go and ride, and go to diabloween, and compete, or not.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Part of my motive is that I know at least 1 ripping 15 yo that could benefit from some exposure that a little winlike this oculd give him. think of the kid boosting higher than EVERYONE (Including GR) and yyou're moving down the right track.

isabbisr

Monkey
Aug 9, 2002
NJ
So what you're saying is that someone who wasn't riding with any tricks or diversity and had a weak costume should win because he is younger? Also the format you would prefer to view is called amateur, not open. The way I see it, the podium was exactly how it should be. The contest is 50% riding 50% costume, this is how it should be, and there should not be any sort of handicap because you are better.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
So what you're saying is that someone who wasn't riding with any tricks or diversity and had a weak costume should win because he is younger? Also the format you would prefer to view is called amateur, not open. The way I see it, the podium was exactly how it should be. The contest is 50% riding 50% costume, this is how it should be, and there should not be any sort of handicap because you are better.

You can infer, and argue endlessly, but no, that is not what I said.

1 word: PROFESSIONAL; have you ever seen George ride? dude...

There were PLENTY of non-pro riders there with PLENTY of skills, are you saying that everyone but GR and AH sucked? Wow, thats F'd up.

Organizations the world over classify skill levels and coordinate events and planning accordingly. The US Open even has multiple cats despite it's 'open' format, why is that?

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
yea i mean i did nothing but a "boner air to almost lander on a bananar" and i won a x-9, for being the "hairiest". i had alotta fun i did a ton of runs and im still sore haha. havent been this sore in months.

thanks diablo.

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
To move off this retarded over-analyzing of a free, fun event:

Was anyone filming the 100-rider train?

bobushka king

Irontaint
Jun 26, 2007
whats next, complaining that there were no french fries served with the free BBQ?!? Pro or not, any man with the skill (and balls) to pull a backflip wearing that large of a costume deserves to win in my book. Thanks Diablo for a fun and muddy day, can't wait till next year.

~Party Boy~

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
As I was rolling into Alpine, I looked up and saw a nonstop flow of people zigzagging back and forth. The only thing that came to mind was, "holy ****."

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
yea i mean i did nothing but a "boner air to almost lander on a bananar" and i won a x-9, for being the "hairiest". i had alotta fun i did a ton of runs and im still sore haha. havent been this sore in months.

thanks diablo.

True. I myself won 'best Heckler' award in 2005 and got a neat piece of shwag. I'm not labeling Diablo the devil for this perceived poopiness. I do think they should have made pinkshirt wear a costume of their choice in exchange for allowing him to shoot though.

Its not a big deal, but I do sticky to my guns in that it as at least 'lame'. If you cant see it, fine! I think it discourages many people from taking part, or putting in their all when you see someone at that level is in the running.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
whats next, complaining that there were no french fries served with the free BBQ?!? Pro or not, any man with the skill (and balls) to pull a backflip wearing that large of a costume deserves to win in my book. Thanks Diablo for a fun and muddy day, can't wait till next year.

~Party Boy~

Ok well then it was unoriginal! NYEAH! He did a backflip in a bigger costume 2 years ago.

I want to see the Paris Frontflip or a Nicole Ritchie 360-Tailwhip or this thread is getting bumped next Diabloween when he wins flipping in a fat albert costume.

isabbisr

Monkey
Aug 9, 2002
NJ
Were you there? I don't think anyone was discouraged because of George riding. Everyone was riding and everyone was having a good time. I'm pretty sure that's what the even was about. I'm going to stick by my opposition to you in that, it isn't lame for anyone to compete in an open format event.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Were you there? I don't think anyone was discouraged because of George riding. Everyone was riding and everyone was having a good time. I'm pretty sure that's what the even was about. I'm going to stick by my opposition to you in that, it isn't lame for anyone to compete in an open format event.

Excellent! Here's your sign!

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
dude.. it's totally lame. the winner should have been some local hero who cased all three jumps while doing one handers :busted:

seriously though... it is a competition open/jam fortmat. you could be pro, am, or nobody.... anyone who throws it down can win, and there is nothing lame about that

its not lame. if your gonna talk about local heros, look at george, he goes to diablo almost everyday, half of us cant doing wht he can.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
its not lame. if your gonna talk about local heros, look at george, he goes to diablo almost everyday, half of us cant doing wht he can.
wow... someone needs reading comprehension skills. could the sarcasm in my post have been any more obvious? and what about the second part of the post you just quoted :lighten:

thanks for pointing out the obvious... maybe you should read things twice next time. just remember remove your foot from your mouth before posting

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
wow... someone needs reading comprehension skills. could the sarcasm in my post have been any more obvious? and what about the second part of the post you just quoted :lighten:

thanks for pointing out the obvious... maybe you should read things twice next time. just remember remove your foot from your mouth before posting
^owned

Polish Rambo

Chimp
Aug 3, 2007
congrats to everyone who competed...

so george won, and its a problem because he is a pro? how many times do non-professional riders get to ride/compete against pros? in the US? and granted last year the contest was off of phantom, so this cant be a direct comparison, but george and i think adam were both there last year, and an "amateur" (I think Marc or Dom named him pirate pants) won. that kid could say he beat a pro, even if it was just once, something he couldnt have done if he competed against amateurs only. the jump jam is judged 50/50 costume/trick so everyone has a chance to get noticed and win, either by having a sick costume or throwing down a sick run. we all know george can ride, and he always puts effort into his costumes, too. so if george showed up in jeans and a t-shirt and did a backflip to win, then sure, people have the right to be upset and call for some type of class breakdown. but he didnt, so the format seems to be working. or, maybe diablo should do away with the prizes and just hand out small trophies that say "participant."

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
Man you people even complain about an end of the year fun jump jam...if you want to win so bad, practice front flips in a foam pit and your guaranteed first place.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Man you people even complain about an end of the year fun jump jam...if you want to win so bad, practice front flips in a foam pit and your guaranteed first place.
Wow, I never thought of that.

After my 10 hour workday, I'd definitely be able to fit in the time, and train more than the full time, sponsored pro rider!

No doubt! Thanks for the advice, off to the park I go!

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
congrats to everyone who competed...

so george won, and its a problem because he is a pro? how many times do non-professional riders get to ride/compete against pros? in the US? and granted last year the contest was off of phantom, so this cant be a direct comparison, but george and i think adam were both there last year, and an "amateur" (I think Marc or Dom named him pirate pants) won. that kid could say he beat a pro, even if it was just once, something he couldnt have done if he competed against amateurs only. the jump jam is judged 50/50 costume/trick so everyone has a chance to get noticed and win, either by having a sick costume or throwing down a sick run. we all know george can ride, and he always puts effort into his costumes, too. so if george showed up in jeans and a t-shirt and did a backflip to win, then sure, people have the right to be upset and call for some type of class breakdown. but he didnt, so the format seems to be working. or, maybe diablo should do away with the prizes and just hand out small trophies that say "participant."

He gets props, mad props, hes a nasty evil rider!! There's a bigger picture that was brought to my attention by another pro rider who lurks in these forums, and that (that you allude to above) is the draw factor -- I have heard many riders, mostly young kids, but not exclusively - raving -- "Did you see Aaron Chase?" "I just rode behind George Ryan on dominion!" - etc.. I would suppose that many riders come to the events, and the mountain to see, and interact, with the pro's. This brings more riders, more money, more attention and translates to more trails, better maintenance, faster growth, etc..

So, I've been 'learnt', I concede, but if you dont see the point AT ALL, then you're not very thoughtful!

Ill take a participant trophy, np!