Quantcast

Dialed.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC

the cable looks a little floppy, its against the wall.

Frame: Fly 3amigos - 21", 13.75 cs, light blue
Fork: Oddysey Classic Race 3/8"
Front Wheel: Premium Aero
Rear Wheel: Profile mini, Hazard Lite,10T driver
Cranks: Fly Bikes
Sprocket: Fly Bikes 26T
BB: Integral Spanish
Pedals: Specialized Lo-Pro Mag
Seat: Macneil SL
Bars: United Squad 8"
Stem: Odyssey Elementary V2
Headset: Kink Integrated
Tires: KHE Premium Street
Grips: Odyssey Team
Brake: Fly Bikes White
Lever: Odyssey Mono V2
Cable: Odyssey Linear Slic

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
the only thing i might say thats off is the black walled rear rim. swap it for a chrome one, they brake way way better, other than that it looks pretty solid and clean

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Dude!

Hey, how would you compare this thing to a Fuse 4, or do they even compare at all? I'm looking at a BMX bike and I'm deciding between building a frame like that one or an S3, or getting a Fuse complete for cheap. Is the jump worth it?

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
after taking it on its maiden voyage, this is what i think...

lets start out by saying the bikeshop scale reads 22.7lbs. that put a smile on my face.

the cranks are stiff-but i dont know if the install was worth it. they look sick, they are uber light--but so are the wormbolts, and i know those are a lot easier to put on...long story short-if i was doing it again, i probably wouldnt buy these cranks, and im sure they'll give me problems everytime i need to do something with my chain or bb, or anything to do with them to be honest.

the brakes=kick ass.
uber stiff, very responsive, and basically cant say anything bad about them...the pads are a little squeeky, but they'll get worn in

the tires suck in dirt.
period.
i'm not too worried-i'm mostly in the street anyways.

8" bars and 22.7lbs also helped a lot--im not worn out nearly as bad as when i was riding 7.45" bars.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Damn, that's light. Seems like if you built a bike stupid light it would be 21 pretty easily.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
the cranks are stiff-but i dont know if the install was worth it. they look sick, they are uber light--but so are the wormbolts, and i know those are a lot easier to put on...long story short-if i was doing it again, i probably wouldnt buy these cranks, and im sure they'll give me problems everytime i need to do something with my chain or bb, or anything to do with them to be honest.
really. i read the how-to crank install on the fly site that sounded easy enough. the plastic wedge cluster in the wombolts always looked sketchy to me.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
really. i read the how-to crank install on the fly site that sounded easy enough. the plastic wedge cluster in the wombolts always looked sketchy to me.
they make it sound like the spindle slides right on,a nd its only a few good knocks to get it hte last little bit-in reality, its HUGE poundings with the crank, throught hte length of the splines, on both arms, against a piece of cardboard on top of cement. honestly, it was work.

fly could EASILY thread the inside of the crank, and that way it'd be A LOT easier to get the cranks on and off, without pounding.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Wombolts are a pain in the fycking azz. I hope I never have to mess with mine. Had to pound them in out three times to get the right number of spacers in the drive side. Took about 2 hours. :banghead:

Oh, and the bike looks SOLID. Tuns o fun.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
Wombolts are a pain in the fycking azz. I hope I never have to mess with mine. Had to pound them in out three times to get the right number of spacers in the drive side. Took about 2 hours. :banghead:

Oh, and the bike looks SOLID. Tuns o fun.
im in the same boat. 3 different times just to get the spacers, then right when i get home, i fidn the fly bottem bracket that i wasnt able to find before, and resorted to buying anohter Integral one...but basically now if i want the pretty fly cups-it'll be the 4th time ive pounded off my cranks...so i'm waiting till i really need to

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
nice bike bro, my buddy Brandon rides for fly, i was checking out his rig this weekend all of thier stuff is crazy clean, the mtb industry should take a hint...

stevop007

Chimp
Oct 2, 2006
San Juan Capo X3
the bike was sick when Sam brought it in - cranks went on tight which is good nothing should get loose or creak to much - the bike turned out as light as my race bike which is pretty impressive on Sam's end for a street bike - i ride Wombolts and if anyone read the directions for the install it was cake not rocket science - the wedge cluster isn't plastic its cromoly -

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Sam - nice looking bike! 23# is a low weight.

Punjab? Good bio on him in the latest issue of Dig. He was in all the vids back in the 90's - amazing style. I'm sure he beat the hell out of the boxes if he was riding Ray's.

Stoked - good meeting you yesterday! That Tonic looked so nice. I was a little out of it yesterday - the park was a zoo, I wasn't dialed at all, and trying to keep an eye on my son was tough. Listen to Lee and get out to Ray's - it's about 300x more fun than Lakewood.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Listen to Lee and get out to Ray's - it's about 300x more fun than Lakewood.

Heed your own advice there....

You should come out for the 3-ride not sure how much riding we would get in but the Qualifiers should be interesting... I've seen some people practicing for it that... well you've seen American Idol right? :busted:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Yeah we rode a few lines with brandon this weekend, i was following him through the jump line and couldnt even focus he was whipping so big in front of me...great rider...and pgh local...Used to build trails w/ him at our spot...

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Heed your own advice there....

You should come out for the 3-ride not sure how much riding we would get in but the Qualifiers should be interesting... I've seen some people practicing for it that... well you've seen American Idol right? :busted:
ahhh, I know. Some guys from Jersey are heading to OH in mid Feb but I'll be snowboarding the 2 weeks before and going cat skiing in BC the week after. Maybe in March like I did last year. That was a real fun trip for me - even the drive out was enjoyable.

American Idol? O no!

BTW, a few things are on there way to you.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
hey don
incline was a zoo. that was only my second time there and never with a crowd so i was a little screwy myself. our trails are still running nice so if you ever come through LI let me know.

lee- i need to let my friends know whats up with ray's and plan a roadtrip out there. maybe try to synch up with don.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
So after a bit, how does the Fly compare to the Fuse you had (or does it?). I'm considering either of them, but I just don't know if I can justify the big step in price. Does the Fly just ride way better, or is it just a bit more refined?

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
So after a bit, how does the Fly compare to the Fuse you had (or does it?). I'm considering either of them, but I just don't know if I can justify the big step in price. Does the Fly just ride way better, or is it just a bit more refined?
absolutly night and day.

$400 is nothing for 5lbs, A LOT better geo(the 74.25 headtube and 14.5" dropouts dont do it for me), and a custom bike that has every part you would want-with nothing to upgrade.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The only thing is, like you know, I can get a Fuse at cost, which means cheap.

But I think you're right, I'll probably end up with a 3amigos pretty soon if all goes well.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
The only thing is, like you know, I can get a Fuse at cost, which means cheap.

But I think you're right, I'll probably end up with a 3amigos pretty soon if all goes well.
yeah, but you can equally get a fat discount on every other part from QBP or whatever...so it's still not costing you a grand.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
Albes is out of all 3 amigos frames in 21" tt. I called to make my order, and sadly I had to order from Danscomp. should be here friday :)
damn, i ordered my like 7 days ago, i guess i just lucked out. i got the 21/13.25/light blue, and didnt even know tey had a limited supply.

im taking credit for having hte first one on the board.

:monkeydance:

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
When I called yesterday the guy there told me that they were on sale because they were overstocked and that they had every size in. Today the guy I talked to told me they were out of all 21 inches, he didn't know why they were so cheap.

And yes you had the first, but certainly not the last, and most definitely not the sickest for long :biggrin:

Just kidding, your bike is bad arse. And how do you like the Elementary stem, seems like a pain?

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I was going to get the SL seat, but decided on the Capital instead, little more comfy, but not much bigger, and I want to learn bar spins. Is it odyssey that is making rims that are supposed to brake just as well as chrome, maybe its Fly? I just got notice that mine shipped, too bad the weather is not so nice and all I'll be able to do is stare at it for a little while. I have a feeling I'm going to have to make some more Skatestreet trips next week.

Its crazy how bad ass your bike is Sama1ter, I've always liked Fly, but never seen one really built up all sick. Now yours isn't going to be the only one all fancied up. Good work,

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
basically Bicyclist is building my same bike? psh. lame.
and its odyssey that makes the good black rim--its what i have on it, thats acording to Albes.
i havent had ANY problems with the stem, i think its easier than any other stem ive used
it just works
and its 1 bolt
if i switched that bolt to Ti or Alu, that'd be a wayy lighter stem

sokoloka

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego / London
I've often wondered what's the smallest microgearing you can run and still be safe with the chainstay mounted brake?

It does look fine as hell though. Baby/Powder blue is starting to grow a fair amount.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
The Odyssey stem is nice when it's all set up. But changing bars or swaping forks can be a pain in the arse. They are light, look cool and have nice rounded edges tho.