Quantcast

did that sprint tri

UCSBrian

Chimp
Mar 11, 2002
seattle
did it in 1:21. got 12/20 in my age group. That was the time i had basically been shooting for so im happy. I know i can cut some time off that too for next time. Overall, fun experience.

brian

UCSBrian

Chimp
Mar 11, 2002
seattle
Ok, so it started off with a 1/4 mile swim, and i aint no swimmer.
I did it counting the transition time in 13:11. The transition took me a while, since my arms werent working like they are supposed to. It was also difficult during the swim, because you are worried like 90% of the time about not gettin kicked in the jaw. So for the first bit i had my head up, then once it settled i got into my stroke, and was passin people! I passed my buddy who was ahead of me, and made it out of the transition area before he got there. the swim time was about 14/20. SO basically i really need to work on that whole side of things.

The bike part too me 40. Which was about 9/20. for nine miles. Way way too long. This was pretty disapointing to me, but oh well. The ol 31 pound giant ac1 was not making the chore any easier.

The run portion took me around 27 for the 3 miles. It was getting hot at this point, and the body just wasnt doin what it was supposed to. Not to self, bring water for the bike section, god damn i got thirsty.

Overall all my times were right around mid pack, either a bit ahead or a bit back. I am pretty happy and look forward to next year if i am still living here.

Best part though was on eht bike ride some guy went past me on his nice roadbike, and looked back at me on my giant. But i passed him up on the run which felt good.

Oh i also learned. Wear some spandex. I just had a bathing suit which i swam in, biked in, and ran in. So LOTS OF CHAFING. I ran the three miles in pain and bleeding. Which im sure didnt help matters.

Overall good fun. But the training continues for whatever comes next. Theres a half marathon i kind of want to do coming up.

late
brian

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Sounds like you did great! I'm thinking cross training biking for a distance then jog would get your body used to the different motion. Nice tip on the spandex too.

I'm doing a sprint tri in June and I'm wondering what to wear for the deration of the event. I'm just glad thats it's a mtb tri and not a road bike.

Good Job!! :)

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
nice work! which tri was it? coronado bay?

tri's can be rather addicting- you've been warned. oh- and get a pair of tri shorts- they look like cycling shorts with different shaped padding so that you can also run and swim in them.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Snacks
Sounds like you did great! I'm thinking cross training biking for a distance then jog would get your body used to the different motion. Nice tip on the spandex too.

I'm doing a sprint tri in June and I'm wondering what to wear for the deration of the event. I'm just glad thats it's a mtb tri and not a road bike.

Good Job!! :)
Snacks - which one is that??? I might consider a sprint - what I lose in the water I might make up for in the run... :rolleyes:

EDIT: I think the best thing for women to wear for short triathlons is a padded tri specific one piece. That way all you will have to change is your shoes. If you think you will have friction problems with your thighs get a product called BodyGlide - it should last the whole race but have your support offer you some at the running transition - you won't remember on your own.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I was wondering if you had been able to score a road bike... you probably losy about 3 minutes by not having a road bike - MTBs are not too bad for 9 miles...

Oh and... SPANDEX RULES!!! :thumb:

Originally posted by UCSBrian
Ok, so it started off with a 1/4 mile swim, and i aint no swimmer.
I did it counting the transition time in 13:11. The transition took me a while, since my arms werent working like they are supposed to. It was also difficult during the swim, because you are worried like 90% of the time about not gettin kicked in the jaw. So for the first bit i had my head up, then once it settled i got into my stroke, and was passin people! I passed my buddy who was ahead of me, and made it out of the transition area before he got there. the swim time was about 14/20. SO basically i really need to work on that whole side of things.

The bike part too me 40. Which was about 9/20. for nine miles. Way way too long. This was pretty disapointing to me, but oh well. The ol 31 pound giant ac1 was not making the chore any easier.

The run portion took me around 27 for the 3 miles. It was getting hot at this point, and the body just wasnt doin what it was supposed to. Not to self, bring water for the bike section, god damn i got thirsty.

Overall all my times were right around mid pack, either a bit ahead or a bit back. I am pretty happy and look forward to next year if i am still living here.

Best part though was on eht bike ride some guy went past me on his nice roadbike, and looked back at me on my giant. But i passed him up on the run which felt good.

Oh i also learned. Wear some spandex. I just had a bathing suit which i swam in, biked in, and ran in. So LOTS OF CHAFING. I ran the three miles in pain and bleeding. Which im sure didnt help matters.

Overall good fun. But the training continues for whatever comes next. Theres a half marathon i kind of want to do coming up.

late
brian

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Snacks - which one is that??? I might consider a sprint - what I lose in the water I might make up for in the run... :rolleyes:

EDIT: I think the best thing for women to wear for short triathlons is a padded tri specific one piece. That way all you will have to change is your shoes. If you think you will have friction problems with your thighs get a product called BodyGlide - it should last the whole race but have your support offer you some at the running transition - you won't remember on your own.
I have the link at home...I'll pm it to you.

Thanks for the tip on the friction....I have an 'issue' with chaffing on runs when I'm not wearing the correct shorts.