Quantcast

Difference between FR hardtail and FR Dually

B1105

Chimp
Dec 22, 2003
Hey guys,
I currently ride a Rocky Mountain Pipeline (4-6" of travel) for my XC, Urban and DH/FR. I'm wondering, is there a huge difference between riding a dually and a FR hardtail (like a P2 or something like that) for like urban assault and just that kinda riding, like stairs, drops to flat?

I have the ability to get a Fox Vanilla fork, and I have considered for a while building a cheap FR hardtail, something cheap and just for hucking. Is this worth it, and would the Vanilla RLC be a food fork for like dirt jumping, urban and stuff like that?

Thanks, sorry if I'm vague, I dont really plan on doing like DS or anything, but mainly urban stuff

Byron

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
a hardtail will step your riding up a notch because it will force you to get smooth.

don't use it for "hucking" though... get all sortsa tech on it.

Do smaller drops to hone your technique. Hit up a skatepark. Learn to manual.

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
yeah a hardtail is really fun for dirtjumping and messin round... but I have hit a few large drops on my hardtail and they arn't pleasent. I prefer to have a bike with some travel when I do want to hit drops. I dirtjump and drop, and trailride all on any bike though. A hardtail will teach you how to be more smooth.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
so true a hardtail will teach you to be much smoother. but as for not hittnig drops i don't understand. i have hit a couple 8-9' drops to a good transition and they felt smoother that if i would of been in a dually(which i have also ridden extensivally in the past) because of the skills that i have learned in the hardtail. it is the coolest thing to hit a big drop on a hardtail because people just don't think that it is possible. just remember that if you want to do a large drop on a hardtail(5'+) you will need a good transistion. doing a drop to flat on a hardtail of that size(5+') is pure stupidity. even though you may be able to land it your knees will hate you later in life!

rock on with the hardtail pride!!!

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
yes you can do 5' to flat on a hardtail and make it feel good but that doesn't mean that it isn't seriuosly bad for your knees. i have done them myself, one of the drops to flat that i did was very close to 6' it felt good but you still know that it is bad for you. that is my point i'm not saying that it is not possible.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
SkaredShtles said:
Smooth?? You wanna get smooth? Try it all on a rigid, yah pack of pansies....... :D

-S.S.-

sideways?is that you? :D :D

seriously once i got my hardtail i never rode my full suspension again in the park or on urban rides. i was riding a P1. it makes manualing and doing spins and stuff on the back wheel so much better. i did most of my dirt jumping on it as well except for the bigger ones.

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
Heres my happy medium :love:

Only had her built for about a week with the super t on it. Had a 04 Z.1 perviously. I've done pretty big stair gaps and 5-6' to flats a lot. Biggest thing i hit was a 12 footer with a nice tranny. I'm looking for something big now that i have 7 plush inches :) I have a set of 24" K-rads i run for street riding. The fork hurt doing bunny hops for sure but i can still get up on this 2' wall in front of my house pretty easy. Bunny hopping and manualing with the DH tires on it is a different story...

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
For those of you who ride/rode hardtails, how do they feel compared to full suspension when doing stair gaps or riding down stairs at speed? Are hardtails bone-jarring in those circumstances, or just a little rougher?

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
It really depends on how fast you are going and the stairs you are riding down i think. I have rode both. Never done a stair gap on a fully but i can tell you its amazingly smooth on a HT. Faster you go the smoother it is. Simple as that. Of course bigger stairs make it rougher as smaller stairs make it smoother also

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Tully said:
For those of you who ride/rode hardtails, how do they feel compared to full suspension when doing stair gaps or riding down stairs at speed? Are hardtails bone-jarring in those circumstances, or just a little rougher?
i have hit lots of stair gaps and it is about the same.the amount of speed you carry is what really dictates it. i have hit 18 to 18 stair gaps on the hardtail with no issues at all.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Tully said:
I mostly ride my Evil for urban but have taken La's Bullit out a few times & for urban my hardtail cant be beat. I can now do drops from about 5 1/2' on my hardtail & it really doesnt feel that bad....there is less room for forgiveness though. Now on rocky, rooty, rough DH I will take the Bullit handsdown.

my current urban assault vehicle set-up....

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
You'd be surprised how bumpy a trail you can pimp-slap on a ht... the secret is to be active on the bike. You have to tell it exactly where to be and when. Clipless pedals will help a ton in this regard.

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
tn i'm diggin the evil. I'm actually lookin at gettin a bullit for my DH rig. I race my 243 on DH now but i went to blue knob a couple weeks ago and got beat to crap. Do you think the bullits a good value?

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
I love my hardtail, its not expensive or anything, and isnt even meant for what I now use it for. Its great for DJ, urban, really easy to manual, I do lots of trail riding on it, etc. HT's really do make you a lot smoother and they can be a ton of fun to ride.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
yellowfox said:
tn i'm diggin the evil. I'm actually lookin at gettin a bullit for my DH rig. I race my 243 on DH now but i went to blue knob a couple weeks ago and got beat to crap. Do you think the bullits a good value?
thanx.
I ride my evil for DH too & have raced it & while I love riding it on the dirt, I decided that next year I might get a full skwish for DH & I am seriously looking at a Bullit. They are awsome bikes (although I am biased ;) ).

B1105

Chimp
Dec 22, 2003
Ok, so its not a good idea to use a hardtail for jsut like hucking and stairs and such? It seems like people do it, but its not good, I'm only 140 lbs, never broke a frame. It seems like a lot more versitle on a ht than a fs, and I can do drops to flat without feeling guilty.

mindlessfr

Monkey
Sep 8, 2004
richmond, va
i have a ht singlespeed and i have more fun on that than i do on my stinky cause it makes me flow over all the bumps and keep up speed cause my gearing is 36:15

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Someone resurected a 2 yr old post last week.

It was originally stareded by Zibbler. That middleaged ckick from Florida.
Remember her?

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
Tully said:
It's realy the same thing just a little more mentaly challenging. Theres no reason for suspension when you ride urban its heavy and not as nimble. Invest in a strong shock like a dj, get a solid rear wheel and nothing will stand in your way