Quantcast

difference between Minion DHR and DHF ?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
If either model can be run front or rear, what is the difference between the two tires? Is one better for certain condition or terrain than the other?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
FWIW, I haven't found the DHR (on the rear mind you) to be that bad of a tyre in most conditions...Certainly not that great in wet, sloppy conditions, but I haven't found one that really is outside of Wet Screams and Swamp Things...In loamy, dry-ish conditions, I think my 2.5 DHR hooks up better than my 2.5 Nevegal, and it is damn near pinch flat proof (I run XC tubes)...Now I will admit that when the center knobs start to wear down it looses some braking bite, but when it's new or fairly new I haven't found it to be any worse/better than any other tyre...I tried a DHF in the back and wasn't blown away with that set up quite frankly...All that said, I haven't tried any Michelins or Intense tyres, so perhaps my opinion would change if I ran certain models they offer...

So anyway, I wouldn't run a DHR up front, but I think it's fine tyre on the back...

And Acad, I didn't know that...Then again, I thought "The Departed" was a docu-drama about Jet Blue...

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
The DHR features ramped knobs, like the DHF, but the channels in the knobs are designed for braking and accelerating. The DHF incorporates ramped knobs for low rolling resistance and channel-cut knobs to increase gripping edges, giving straight-line control and precise cornering.

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
Has anyone tried the 3c compond minions yet? I haven't but it seems like a good thing.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
What everyone else has said is pretty much right. The F works great just about everywhere, even in the mud if you do some trimming, and the R is only good on blue groove. I've ridden the 3C a good bit. It does roll better than the SRY, but falls between the SRY and ST in traction. It doesn't really matter as of '07, because SRY is no longer available in the US.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I have it on good knowledge that orginially they were given F and R notations to designate front and rear. But after seeing how well the DHF did as a front and rear Maxxis has sort of kicked themselves for doing it. However, the DHR does roll pretty fast and in the right conditions can be a good front tire. But for most DHers corning is way more important than accelerating and braking, so the DHF wins out for its ability to corner.

IMO, the 3c is slightly better than 60d, but not as good as the ST. Never been a fan of the SRY.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
they were front and rear specific when they came out in 2002, but the rear never really caught on. . . still manages to get spec'd OEM for some reason though.

Did happen to notice Dan Atherton used the DHR front and rear at St. Anne this year, but he's known for doing things a little different from most.

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
Has anyone tried the 3c compond minions yet? I haven't but it seems like a good thing.
I just got my 3C DHF & DHR 2.5's today. Also got a High Roller ST since they don't have the 3C in stock.

My combo has been DHF & DHR along with swapping out the DHR for High Roller. I noticed alittle bit of change but not much till the DHR or High Roller wore down.

konahucker43

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
central NY
dhf will work exellent in almost all conditions. if your looking for a tire for everywhere it is better to look at the 2.7 and trim it alittle. i only use the 2.7s not because of the size but that the 2.5 is terrible if it gets wet out. the 2.7 hooks up very well in the wet and everywhere else for that matter

skate

Chimp
Aug 19, 2006
I just got my 3C DHF & DHR 2.5's today. Also got a High Roller ST since they don't have the 3C in stock.

My combo has been DHF & DHR along with swapping out the DHR for High Roller. I noticed alittle bit of change but not much till the DHR or High Roller wore down.
Have you tried running DHF for the front and the rear.
If so how does it compare between having a DHF front and High roller rear.

I need something that rolls with the littlest rolling resistance as possible. and have been thinking between the DHF as a rear or the high roller as a rear, but not sure which would be better.

Currently I noticed (or think it's the problem) that the DHR is really just dragging me down when I just do a straight up sprint, but at the same time not really moving as fast. while other not even barely pedaling are just rolling right by me like I am just still.

konahucker43

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
central NY
Have you tried running DHF for the front and the rear.
If so how does it compare between having a DHF front and High roller rear.

I need something that rolls with the littlest rolling resistance as possible. and have been thinking between the DHF as a rear or the high roller as a rear, but not sure which would be better.

Currently I noticed (or think it's the problem) that the DHR is really just dragging me down when I just do a straight up sprint, but at the same time not really moving as fast. while other not even barely pedaling are just rolling right by me like I am just still.
DHF will be alot more grip than the highroller in the rear but will wear faster and not roll quite as fast

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I found where the DHR makes a good front tire...really steep shale rockgnar. It's actually pretty damn good. A lot like a michelin comp24. So it would make sense why that dude ran it at Mt St Anne front and rear...cause that place is really steep shale rockgnar. I think it does so well because the profile floats (which is why it sucks everywhere else), and because the knobs don't squirm. Y'all east coasters should try it out.

But....I run a DHF in the front, and a highroller in the rear, both 2.5s, and Minion DHF in the rear for Whistler when I want to get sideways...
The highroller just kicks ass for a Northwest rear tire because it corners reasonably good without sucking in really steep really ****ty conditions.

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
Ok, I've just bought a second Minion DHF to go on my back wheel...should it go on with the directional arrow pointing forward as if it was on the front?