Quantcast

Differences between '05 MK3 and '04 Hollowpoint?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I haven't been able to find much info so far. I was wondering if anyone has already got their '05 model?....D

næstep

Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
SF Bay Area, California
Dude, I'm all over it. Well... I was, and then... well, I'm getting there.

If you haven't seen them already, I've got a bucket of stark naked frame shots here: '05 Hollowpoint MkIII frame pics

Diffrences?

Compare some of those MkIII shots to these photos I took comparing the '03 versus the '04 Hollowpoints: '03 vs. '04 dw-link pics

The MkIII frame is definitely burlier. The '04 Hollowpoint had to do dual duty: the same frame was used for the trailbike Hollowpoint as was used for the XC "RL" version, so there appear to have been some compromises. Now with the Azure picking up the XC slack, the MkIII is burly and built for 5" all around.

The MkIII frame design and construcion is pretty amazing. Check out the reinforced seat tube pivot, the custom forged bottom bracket yoke, and the nutty raised drive side chainstay. In another post, Dave detailed what went in to manipulating tubing that way, and it was way more complicated that I'd have imagined.

The 2.0" shock stroke results in a lower air pressure requirement. I run 235 PSI on my 2003 Hollowpoint/AD-12. I demoed a MkIII with the RS Airo and it took only 90 PSI. I expect the Cane Creek AD12 I'm installing on my MkIII will be a little higher than that, and lower pressure is always better for shock responsiveness and seal longevity, not to mention less finicky air-damped tuning. Honestly, this was my primary attraction to this new frame set.

Also, the geometry is worked out to better accept a longer travel fork. I'm looking to run a 5" White Brothers fork on this bike, which feels quite natural, whereas 5" on my '03 Hollowpoint made the bike feel too choppered out for my riding.

I'm still looking for some ride reports. Mine won't be finished for another two weeks while I wait for parts, but you can bet I'll spend some time on one this weekend at Sea Otter.

Radical rear triangle w/ raised driveside chainstay:

Frame with Cane Creek AD-12 bolted up:

Solid welding all-around; beefy dropout & hanger:

næstep

Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
SF Bay Area, California
I'm not sure. I ordered the complete bike (an Expert) and stripped it down.

Call Epic Cycles in North Carolina. They're listed on Iron Horse's website and have had the best prices yet.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
næstep said:
I'm not sure. I ordered the complete bike (an Expert) and stripped it down.

Call Epic Cycles in North Carolina. They're listed on Iron Horse's website and have had the best prices yet.
thank you so much.

næstep

Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
SF Bay Area, California
DHS said:
ok, why the change to the canecreek again???
Main reason? Servicability. I like the fact I can tear this thing apart and rebuild it on my kitchen table in about 30 minutes, and for around $12.

Second reason? It works really well, offers rebound, compression, and volume adjustments, and they've been just plain reliable over the past 6 years I've been using them (my original AD-10, which I purchased back in '99, is still in use on my wife's bike).

An lastly, Cane Creek has been a pleasure to deal with. They deal directly with the consumer, they've had parts support no questions asked when I break stuff, and they've always been helpful in getting me the spacers I need for the various frames I try to mount these shocks up to. If you've ever tried to order spacers for Rock Shox from Rock Shox, you'll know what I mean.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I had a good talk with Weagle at S.O...well now I have to get one...anyone want an '04 Hollowpoint in great condition? ;)....D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
BMXman said:
I had a good talk with Weagle at S.O...well now I have to get one...anyone want an '04 Hollowpoint in great condition? ;)....D
I've got a 2004 now - would love to hear what dw said about the 05 vs. the 04 - if you've got the time, send me a PM with the scoop.

Thanks.

Mark

næstep

Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
SF Bay Area, California
Dave talked about how he's mastered his squat curve to an even greater extent. It falls off every so slightly as suspension compresses, and even tails back up at the end, but when plotted against almost any other design out there, his curve is as flat as an ice rink. It's his manipulation of this curve that allows the dw-link to be so neutral under pedaling forces, and herein lies his improvement over the '03/'04 dw-link.

This alone *should be* almost imperceptible to most riders, as should the improved suspension under braking performance (I never found fault with either). The big deal to me is the change to the 2" stroke rear shock, which backs me away from the high pressure air chamber red line and should improve the damping characteristics of my ride.

Dave mentioned that the greatest dw-link changes were designed into the Sunday frame, but also that his previous Hollowpoint iteration was somewhat constrained by the frame design that it had to fit into, whereas this time around he got to design the MkIII frame around HIS linkage.

Other than the lowered shock pressure and beefcake construction, I'm not expecting a HUGE performance difference between my '03 and my MkIII, but enough to justify me making the switch.

næstep

Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
SF Bay Area, California
BMXman said:
also more tire clearance and a bit lighter....D
Yes and maybe.

Tire clearance is definitely improved over the '04.

What is the frame weight on the Large '04 Hollowpoint? My Medium '03 hit the scale at 6-1/4 pounds. The '04 added reinforcements that increased the weight, but I've never seen actual numbers. The Large MkIII weighs a hair over 7.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
as soon as I swap everything over I toss it on the scale...but mine is only the 17"...I wonder if the MKIII team comes with Ti hardware like my '04 HP has?....D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
BMXman said:
as soon as I swap everything over I toss it on the scale...but mine is only the 17"...I wonder if the MKIII team comes with Ti hardware like my '04 HP has?....D
still waiting to take delivery :mumble:...and no Ti hardware :D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
ok I'm getting kind of pissed...I bought an IH MK3 Expert....so far the shock is not holding any air...it may be blown, I'm not sure yet. Also the bike came with an '02 Progressive shock manual...so my 5th air isn't even listed as far as settings and what not...still working on it though....D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
yep definitely a bad shock! I have 90psi in the cvt chamber and 200 psi in the main chamber and if I sit on it....the shock fully compresses and stay bottomed out until I get off :mumble:

on my '04 HP team I used the same cvt setting and even less air (175psi) without any problems....D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
BMXman said:
yep definitely a bad shock! I have 90psi in the cvt chamber and 200 psi in the main chamber and if I sit on it....the shock fully compresses and stay bottomed out until I get off :mumble:

on my '04 HP team I used the same cvt setting and even less air (175psi) without any problems....S
ugh - lots of issues with these MKiiis - not so much the frames themselves, but the shocks, forks and hardware for them.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
MMcG said:
ugh - lots of issues with these MKiiis - not so much the frames themselves, but the shocks, forks and hardware for them.
Ha! My b/f is now selling his! After 2 months he's done! He has been waiting for the replacement bolty things for the rear linkage for over 6 weeks.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
took it back in to the shop today...completely spoiled my trail ride today...had to take the DOC instead....oh the pain!...anyway I'm sure Progressive will take care of it. I wonder if this is a known problem?....D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
BMXman said:
took it back in to the shop today...completely spoiled my trail ride today...had to take the DOC instead....oh the pain!...anyway I'm sure Progressive will take care of it. I wonder if this is a known problem?....D

IH knows about it and is taking steps to remedy the situation I believe - I think the tolerances were off between the IH frames and the Progressive hardware.

I have to say, so far IH customer service has rocked for me.

I ordered Manitou Swinger hardware from them on Tuesday of this week and got it yesterday! Nice! I called Answer first and they treated me like crap. The IH guys treated me great.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
just got off the phone with my LBS...they're just going to take a shock off another expert they have in stock so I can ride this weekend....and they will deal with Progressive/Iron horse next week :thumb:

I never even had the Pike installed took the bike home and immediately began stripping it...D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
BMXman said:
just got off the phone with my LBS...they're just going to take a shock off another expert they have in stock so I can ride this weekend....and they will deal with Progressive/Iron horse next week :thumb:

I never even had the Pike installed took the bike home and immediately began stripping it...D

Do the 2005s use a bigger seatpost diameter D??

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
my Expert frame just came in. i'll try to post pics tonight of it built up. don't have my new wheels yet. but i have some extra ones at home for now.
anyone have a chart for the setup rear shock. mine came with the 2003 manual...