Quantcast

dirt roads

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I have an extra set of wheels -- the ones that came with the bike -- and was wondering if I should get tires for 'em specific for dirt/unpaved roads or if I should ride my mtb on said roads. There are some unfinished dirt roads leading to neat areas. Some are washboardy. Some are only 5-10 mile sections in an otherwise decent ride.

I know, kinda vague, but your thoughts are appreciated anyway.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
When I lived in Colorado as a kid I used my road bike for this purpose all the time - you can even ride well travelled trails. Find out how much clearance you have - probably can get away with 26mm touring rubber. If you have more room, cyclo-cross knobbies are sweet. From experience I would run about 70psi - running full pressure can make the handling unpredictable.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
keep your extra wheels for a just in case kinda deal. like, on my mtn bike, it came with 24's so I upgraded to 26's. you never know when you'll need it, i've actually had to swap them out a couple times.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
manziman said:
keep your extra wheels for a just in case kinda deal. like, on my mtn bike, it came with 24's so I upgraded to 26's. you never know when you'll need it, i've actually had to swap them out a couple times.
I appreciate the input, but what made you think I was getting rid of my second set of wheels?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Did a road ride the other day, and there were a couple of sections of dirt road. It was sweet to hit them and keep rolling with no worries. Running 30 cc cyclocross knobbies at 90 psi. At 215lbs, I think I would pinch flat at 70psi.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Wumpus said:
Did a road ride the other day, and there were a couple of sections of dirt road. It was sweet to hit them and keep rolling with no worries. Running 30 cc cyclocross knobbies at 90 psi. At 215lbs, I think I would pinch flat at 70psi.
haha, yeah, I think SM forgot that I don't weigh as little as he does.

How far do you ride on pavement with 30cc CX tires? Do you get an uncomfortable vibration?

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
When I lived in Yankeeland sometimes dirt roads were the best routes for a good ride. Running a 25mm tire (cautiously) is fine if they're just transfers from one section of road to another. If you'll spend all day on them then a cross bike is the way to go.

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
I usta do road rides that always ncluded a little dirt and I found that using a slightly larger (28c) tinre with a though casing made for a reliable but sketchy (and therefore fun) ride. Using a 28 c with some knobs made things safer on the dirt but way slower on the pavement. I always perfered the skinnier tire/faster pavement combo.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
LordOpie said:
haha, yeah, I think SM forgot that I don't weigh as little as he does.

How far do you ride on pavement with 30cc CX tires? Do you get an uncomfortable vibration?
I did a 45 miler. Ride felt smooth, really didn't notice the tires--cheapo Ritchey V-max wire bead. Been a longtime since I did any road riding so I really can't compare to slicks.