Quantcast

Dirty Harry would have loved this

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

SPRINGFIELD, Mass., Feb. 13 — Dirty Harry is now outgunned: Smith & Wesson has introduced its biggest handgun ever, a .50-caliber Magnum.

THE FIVE-SHOT REVOLVER with an 8½-inch barrel weighs about 4½ pounds - roughly a pound more than the big black .44 Magnum boasted by Clint Eastwood in the Dirty Harry movies. It fires a new .50-caliber cartridge that the company said produces nearly three times the muzzle energy of the .44 - or enough stopping power to bring down a charging bear.
“The primary market for it is hunting” big game, spokesman Ken Jorgensen said.
Smith & Wesson would not give production or sales estimates.
Steve Comus, publications director of the Safari Club International said he expects Smith & Wesson would sell several thousand of them to sportsmen interested in handgun hunting - and create a buzz for the company.
“It’s not a plinking (target shooting) gun, and it’s not for beginners,” said Comus, who tested a prototype.
Comus described the recoil as “substantial” even when compared with that of other big caliber guns. Still, he called it a “very manageable weapon” with the stopping power of a powerful rifle.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by rbx
yeah hunting humans:D :rolleyes:
I see the smiley, but then i see the rolleyes, so im kinda confused, but let me just say, if you're serious, that this would be a sad weapon for hunting humans.

Sort of like...uh..you would use a 30.06 for hunting deer, and a Tech9 for hunting humans....

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by BurlySurly
I see the smiley, but then i see the rolleyes, so im kinda confused, but let me just say, if you're serious, that this would be a sad weapon for hunting humans.

Sort of like...uh..you would use a 30.06 for hunting deer, and a Tech9 for hunting humans....
Hunting humans. If ya'll even knew how not funny that is.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Lot's of people.
I have used a handgun for hunting bear, wild boar, and I once used a scoped Thompson Contender for antelope.

In many cases, especially in heavilly wooded or brushy area's it is exceedingly difficult to move quietly with a rifle or the brush makes it difficult to bring a rifle to bear (pun not intended) quickly and quietly. In such cases, a handgun is the better tool for the job. Most large game hunters (especially in bear country) carry a backup weapon. Usually a large cal. revolver.

Now I'm not saying this particular gun would be the right tool for the job in all of those cases, but if I spent a lot of time in the woods in a place like Alaska Id feel better having that cannon.

That being said, I can't imagine shooting that thing. I have kinda small hands and had to have custom grips made for all but my smaller handguns. I once shot a gun called a .454 Cassul (sp?), scared the hell out of me. The big desert eagles are a piece of cake to handle though the stock grip is too large for me.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by rbx
seriously who the hell use a handgun to go hunting???its obvious that people will used it to shoot each other.
My dad has a friend who has a fishing cabin on a lake in northern Sask. right by the border with the NWT. They carry a .44 Magnum on the 100 yard walk to the outhouse.

Grizzly bears. Big fscking grizzly bears. They aren't even sure if a .44 would tickle it, they haven't had to use one in that situation yet. So there is a use for something like this. The recoil must be a beast though. Ugh.

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
Originally posted by DRB
It ain't a game and the folks that are in it are not players.

And it still ain't funny.
Agreed, but the phrase "hunting humans" is so far from anything realistic to me.... I can laugh at it. Sheesh, consider my smile removed.

KFulch

Chimp
Jul 10, 2002
NC
I do not think S&W's prices could fall into the budget of your local ghetto blastin homie. I would love to see some gangsta pull that out and try to fire off a round. Probably give themselves a concusion as soon as it "kicked back"

2 cents

goosemagoo

Chimp
May 21, 2002
Virginia Beach, VA
Originally posted by Yossarian
I bet it is real tough to shoot when it is turned on its side, gangsta style.
nah, you just have to keep poking it at the person when you pull the trigger. you know, gangster style. just watch mtv during rap hour. you'll get plenty of gun handling instructions.:rolleyes:

on a side note: has anyone ever seen the guy on the OLN shooting show that shoots airborne asprin with a .22 rifle? he could also throw 4 skeet in the air, blast the first 2 w/ his over/under, reload and finish the last 2 before they hit the ground.

DO NOT mess with this man's wife!:nope:

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Originally posted by KFulch
I do not think S&W's prices could fall into the budget of your local ghetto blastin homie. I would love to see some gangsta pull that out and try to fire off a round. Probably give themselves a concusion as soon as it "kicked back"

2 cents
It would knock all they gold teeth out.:eek:

KFulch

Chimp
Jul 10, 2002
NC
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
Typically, there is a handgun specific week during deer season.
I think if you shot a dear with the .50 it might just blow it in half or at least knock entrails about 200 yards or so.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by Eddie420
americans and their guns:D :rolleyes:
Funny. The person in your avatar blew his brains out with one. Good for him.

steve

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by patconnole
???
Eddie said in his post "americans and their guns."

I just thought it was funny that the person in his avatar loved his gun a little to much.

steve

goosemagoo

Chimp
May 21, 2002
Virginia Beach, VA
Originally posted by eric strt6

SPRINGFIELD, Mass., Feb. 13 — Dirty Harry is now outgunned: Smith & Wesson has introduced its biggest handgun ever, a .50-caliber Magnum.

THE FIVE-SHOT REVOLVER with an 8½-inch barrel weighs about 4½ pounds - roughly a pound more than the big black .44 Magnum boasted by Clint Eastwood in the Dirty Harry movies. It fires a new .50-caliber cartridge that the company said produces nearly three times the muzzle energy of the .44 - or enough stopping power to bring down a charging bear.
“The primary market for it is hunting” big game, spokesman Ken Jorgensen said.
Smith & Wesson would not give production or sales estimates.
Steve Comus, publications director of the Safari Club International said he expects Smith & Wesson would sell several thousand of them to sportsmen interested in handgun hunting - and create a buzz for the company.
“It’s not a plinking (target shooting) gun, and it’s not for beginners,” said Comus, who tested a prototype.
Comus described the recoil as “substantial” even when compared with that of other big caliber guns. Still, he called it a “very manageable weapon” with the stopping power of a powerful rifle.
I know I live in the south when this article makes it on the front page of my local business section. Yeehawww!

Eddie420

Chimp
Dec 26, 2001
Sydney,Australia
what I meant was jeez does America really need another gun....it's about 11,000 people a year dead from guns in America.I just pulling this figure from the movie Bowling for Columbine so feel free to correct it if wrong. Other countries like Britian have 60 gun related deaths, Japan about 40.:dead:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by Eddie420
what I meant was jeez does America really need another gun....it's about 11,000 people a year dead from guns in America.I just pulling this figure from the movie Bowling for Columbine so feel free to correct it if wrong. Other countries like Britian have 60 gun related deaths, Japan about 40.:dead:
I think what Eddie is trying to say is that America's fascination with guns is really hard for people from a lot of other countries to understand. America and the other English speaking countries are otherwise culturally very similar but the American attitude to guns remains a real area of cultural difference. Like Eddie I personally can't understand it but since I don't live in America it's hard for me to comment further.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by valve bouncer
I think what Eddie is trying to say is that America's fascination with guns is really hard for people from a lot of other countries to understand. America and the other English speaking countries are otherwise culturally very similar but the American attitude to guns remains a real area of cultural difference. Like Eddie I personally can't understand it but since I don't live in America it's hard for me to comment further.
To understand Americans fascination with guns you must look at it's history. The U.S. was born through armed resistance. It is something we are very proud of and show it by blowing things up every July. During the early history of the U.S. Guns were used as tools, hunting was not a sport but a means of survival. Guns were important enough that the right to bear arms was put into the constitution.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The intention was not to allow people the right to own guns for hunting, for sport or personal protection but for defense of the country, and to possible overthrow an unpopular government. Would Saddam Hussein still be in power in Iraq if the people were as well armed and us gun totin' yanks? I don't know but it would make things more interesting. So guns are just part of the American phsychology. Unfortunately thousands die each year because of this.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Westy
So guns are just part of the American phsychology. Unfortunately thousands die each year because of this.
I disagree. It's the fault of the Americans who kill each other, not the guns. They'd just go after each other with knives or javelins or lawn darts if they didnt have guns.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So guns are just part of the American phsychology. Unfortunately thousands die each year because of this.

Originally posted by BurlySurly

I disagree. It's the fault of the Americans who kill each other, not the guns. They'd just go after each other with knives or javelins or lawn darts if they didnt have guns.

Well I did not mean it to come out like that. Sometimes I ain't so good wid dem words. It is just unfortunate that so many people are murdered. The problem is with a society where people try to kill each other not the weapons themselves. I know of people who were killed with golf clubs, now those things should be banned!!

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by Westy
To understand Americans fascination with guns you must look at it's history. The U.S. was born through armed resistance. It is something we are very proud of and show it by blowing things up every July. During the early history of the U.S. Guns were used as tools, hunting was not a sport but a means of survival. Guns were important enough that the right to bear arms was put into the constitution.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The intention was not to allow people the right to own guns for hunting, for sport or personal protection but for defense of the country, and to possible overthrow an unpopular government. Would Saddam Hussein still be in power in Iraq if the people were as well armed and us gun totin' yanks? I don't know but it would make things more interesting. So guns are just part of the American phsychology. Unfortunately thousands die each year because of this.
Thanks Westy and I realise that the right to bear arms is one of your cherished institutions. I think however if anyone chose to take up arms against the government nowadays they'd get pretty short shrift:) Gotta go now, I think there's some black helicopters outside;)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Thanks Westy and I realise that the right to bear arms is one of your cherished institutions. I think however if anyone chose to take up arms against the government nowadays they'd get pretty short shrift:) Gotta go now, I think there's some black helicopters outside;)
Ha, shows how much you know. You don't have to go anywhere, wear a tin foil hat and the blacks helicopters can't lock into the microchips that were inplanted during your last tetanus shot.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ha, shows how much you know. You don't have to go anywhere, wear a tin foil hat and the blacks helicopters can't lock into the microchips that were inplanted during your last tetanus shot.