Quantcast

Dissorder 5 Premiere(sp?)?

huckerAJ

Monkey
Aug 8, 2002
yaya madison whats the new deal.....and talk to me at the premier...got some ideas and opportunities :sneaky:

Earthmover

Chimp
Feb 25, 2002
Terra Forma
At least two of us (Brett and Josh) will head down from Whidbey. Got my eye on that Preston FR frame, so nobody else enter the raffle, m'kay??

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
bibs said:
you two better be! How does KR like his Demo 9? Mine will be ready soon
I'm sure we'll be there, havta support the locals ;)

I think the D9 gets a big :thumb: . He took it out on our 15 mile XC ride yesterday :help:

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Come on people. I hope someone else sees it soon, I wanna know how others thought of the movie to see if maybe I was having an off night. haha

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
Roasted said:
Come on people. I hope someone else sees it soon, I wanna know how others thought of the movie to see if maybe I was having an off night. haha
Hey Roasted, when and where did you see it? I saw it at the 9pm showing at garfinkels the weekend it opened. I was there w/ Shootr and his cuz and Eric. You couldn't have missed Shootr, he was yelling the whole time :)

What do you mean, 'having an off night?'

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
It was freaking awesome, I saw it at the Portland premire last night. The whole "jailbreak" theme was pretty funny too. The riding was off the hook and that's an understatement. I don't even know where to start, you'll just have to see it yourselves.

Also, stump 503 (a local company) showed a short film of local riders at some local spots, it was pretty cool.

Thanks go out to Fat tire farm in portland for putting this on.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Megan Black said:
Hey Roasted, when and where did you see it? I saw it at the 9pm showing at garfinkels the weekend it opened. I was there w/ Shootr and his cuz and Eric. You couldn't have missed Shootr, he was yelling the whole time :)

What do you mean, 'having an off night?'
I went to the early show that same night. Had a nasty flu and didn't want to drink...

it was Off because I found the movie kind of dull. Hated the music (this was liely the whole reason I hated it. I hate hiphop in just about any form, and I just couldn't get pumped with that kind of music, I said in my review on bikeforums I would buy the flick and put my own music on and see if it was any better). It just didn't make me wanna ride like other movies did. I had this same problem with kranked 5 (but after seeing it 5 times I now like it more)...There were a couple of scenes I like but nothing that left me with the feeling of WOW!!!...

Yelling the whole time :rolleyes:

Whatever.
The movie was ok, the first third was excellent, strong shots, well placed cuts and timing on the editing was top notch.
The Second third was lackluster. A bit of a dissappointment. Some top riders in there had weak segments which displayed NOTHING of what they had accomplished this past year.
It however ended well.
Overall it was a typical highline Matchstick production. I will buy it, more to have and analyze (as with Kranked 5) for beta.

Oh.. and Megan.. just because you were next to me.. doesn't mean that you were "with me" ;)

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Cedrics part (the opening) was awesome. Fast flowy, smooth. I don't know, but watching side by side clips of cedric, he sure looks faster and smoother then peat. And as usual a funny guy through and through. He was built for being in front of a camera. Peat was fast and flowy to with incredible bike control. He also had a couple of funny lines in it that made everyone chuckle. "Something wasn't right up here" haha...anyways, good stuff. Either way, they must have watched the collective because they captured speed really well and this time they looked incredibly fast. This was the highlight for me as throughout the whole movie everyone looked fast and smooth.
Thats was the most memorable part of the movie. I reread my review cause I didn't remember romaniak being in it. HE wasn't mentioned, which either meant his section stunk (or was weak for the quality rider he was) or he wasn't in it. The first 1/3 of this movie rocked, which ironically was all racing or speed scenes. Which btw I normally find boring, but this time they captured it well...really well. I still remember cedric ripping through the trees and berms...that scene alone was worth the movie for me,

May 9, 2003
Burien at Crappiss' House
Okay everyone, the movie premier is getting closer, and we're really stoked to be hosting it! There will be an announcement on Friday night you'll want to be there to hear, too! Big stuff in the works for the Pac N-Dub. Tell your friends who don't spend half thier lives on the boards like we do, please! Hope to see you all there!

-S.

Shootr!- Come on down buddy, you can stay out here with us! BTW, did you sell the Bool-itte? Mine's a pile of assorted parts right now.....

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
shootr said:
Oh.. and Megan.. just because you were next to me.. doesn't mean that you were "with me" ;)
oh yeah? well, just cause YOU don't REMEMBER it, doesn't mean "it never happened"

your jager bombs had an unusual kick to them, didn't they????

:D

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
Captain Crunch said:
Okay everyone, the movie premier is getting closer, and we're really stoked to be hosting it! There will be an announcement on Friday night you'll want to be there to hear, too! Big stuff in the works for the Pac N-Dub. Tell your friends who don't spend half thier lives on the boards like we do, please! Hope to see you all there!

-S.

Shootr!- Come on down buddy, you can stay out here with us! BTW, did you sell the Bool-itte? Mine's a pile of assorted parts right now.....
hey cap'n steve-o, do you know if they are going to put up a big screen??

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Aaron Chase's part was pretty good too, he did a few things that bmx guys don't even do... which is a lot for a mtn bike rider to pull off.

zane said:
Aaron Chase's part was pretty good too, he did a few things that bmx guys don't even do... which is a lot for a mtn bike rider to pull off.
Negative on that Zane. Handplants are nowadays fairly commonplace in BMX.
Chase's segment was excellent no doubt, but one day people are going to have to face the simple fact that where tricks are concerned (as well as size of jumps, size of drops, and a whole host of other bike related action) MTBers will ALWAYS play second fiddle to BMXers.

Here is a pic of Kevin Porter doing a 360 handplant at the Vans Triple crown in Ohio..

and here is a link to the video
360 handplant

Oh and Megan..
the real truth is that I was yelling to try and get your attention, but with all the adoring fans you had crowding you I am surprised you even noticed I was there..

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Curious, shootr, you don't think mtbikers can someday go bigger? I figured that would be the only point as far as mountain bikes on djs etc...the mtbikes can go faster and larger.

I wouldn't argue quality and style of the tricks though.

in simple terms I would say theoretically yes.. but factually NO.
Do some searches.
Longest distance: Colin Winklemen 116' (over 13 ford expeditions)
Highest Aerial: Matt Hoffman, 26.5' over a 24' quarterpipe (thats just over FIFTY feet above ground kids)
Highest indoor Jump Timo Pritzel, 16.79' (on his BMX.. you did know he is a BMXer right?)
those are but a few. there is still highest bunnyhop (some guy in south america, can't remember his name 45.5"..) and it goes on and on.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
BMX is where it's at. That's where I learned how to ride. Nothing makes you a smoother mountainbiker than loosing the suspension and hitting the bmx track.
I've got a few friends who can't even ride without shocks.
I plan on racing the winter at the new indoor BMX track in Milwaukie, OR.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
shootr said:
Highest indoor Jump Timo Pritzel, 16.79' (on his BMX.. you did know he is a BMXer right?)
Yes I did...haha

in simple terms I would say theoretically yes.. but factually NO.
I guess I mean for the long haul. I figured, eventually, mountain bikers would push the 'go big' limit to really fit in between bmx and mx for size. Thanx for the states :)

BTW thanx for offering the use of the headset press. I can't wait to get this bike mobile.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
shootr said:
Negative on that Zane. Handplants are nowadays fairly commonplace in BMX.
Chase's segment was excellent no doubt, but one day people are going to have to face the simple fact that where tricks are concerned (as well as size of jumps, size of drops, and a whole host of other bike related action) MTBers will ALWAYS play second fiddle to BMXers.

I know handplants are pretty common, I used to do em (kinda) on my bmx. The main thing I'm thinking of the tree-ride to 360 out, that was pretty rad and I have yet to see a bmxer pull that.

As for jumps and drops, MTB's are ahead in that aspect. A 10' drop on a bmx is huge.... while a 10' drop on a mtb isn't that big. MTB'ers ride faster, drop and jump longer and ride stuff bmxers couldn't even pedal through (dh courses, rock gardens, etc.).

As far as the "street" progression of MTB's is concerned I agree with you. Grinding on a MTB just looks kinda stupid when you compare it to grinding on a BMX. Pro skatepark contests for MTB's look like an ametuer contest for bmx, and it seems like every bmx guy that turns MTB is 2 steps ahead of guys who started out on MTB's.

I know there's been plenty of discussion about this, but that was my 2 cents.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Zane, most if not all of the big mtb'ers that go big and rip it up are former bmx'ers.
My bad wrists and old body don't let me hit jumps and hang with you kids anymore.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
In our riding group (3 folks), there's one old-school bmx'er - he's clearly better than both of us. At the same time, we are not far off from where he is just by riding with him and feeding off of his energy/watching his style. I'd still be a sub-intermediate hack if it wasn't for riding with them both.
As-is, I'm at least an intermediate hack.:cool:

Zane,
Clearly you have not seen DH bmx to state that Mountain bikers go faster or bigger.
They simply do not.
And as for drops..... Matt Hoffman's return to earth from his quarterpipe record would have made almost every MTBer out there balk.

As for the tree to three.. big deal.. Nyquist is doing fufanu decades in bike street and Dave Mirra is doing wallride flairs....

It is just this simple:
BMXers have done, and will continue to do everything mountain bikers will only dream of.

Sorry to be blunt, I am not hating. I now ride MTB mostly because the pressure I was feeling when I was competitively riding bmx made me question the health and safety of that pursuit.
I know only ride bmx for fun.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
ZANE! YOU PUNK ASS B1TCH, I'M CALLING YOU OUT! :nuts:
What are you going to do during this cold, rainy, muddy winter?
Milwaukie Indoor BMX! grab your norco hardtail and race the cruiser class. Obviously you'll smoke 'em and me on your mountainbike cuz you got gears and shocks.
Seriously, just kidding with you. I am trying to get everyone to go race with me. What would be funner?

May 9, 2003
This IS a rather serious derailment of this thread..... Carry on. BMX is for social rejects. MTB riders are cavemen. Road is the only PURE cycling. I love Phil Ligget, I have his poster, and I talk to it sometimes about the French Riviera, and all the wonderful memories we have there together..... riding bicycles! ;)

May 9, 2003
This just in.....

I just recieved another care package for the party tomorrow night, Hoots Gear hooked it up! We're going to be tossing schwag for a while, remember everyone, try not to break anything in the bar this time around! We need these guys to keep letting us riff raff in there! We're still trying to get the data projector thing going for the big screen, it's a priority, for sure. I'm also going to try to get us some drink specials for the night!

It's looking good everyone, hope to see a bunch of monkeys there!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Captain Crunch said:
Just off the phone with Ken from Full Throttle Cafe, how's this sound?

$1.25 Drafts, $2.00 Well Drinks All Night!!

Hmmm, not to shabby.

Steve, it's a little short notice this time but next time, I might be able to hook you up with a projector for the night.