Quantcast

DIY Light System?

Old_Dude

Monkey
I guess someone's already done this thread, but I didn't find it - maybe I should've looked harder/longer.

Anyway, I was at Home Depot yesterday & spent some time at the flashlight area & began thinking . . . which, for me, is quite a struggle . . . and with my limited electrical experience with batteries and such, I thought it'd be very feasable, and inexpensive to rig up a very usable headlight system for a bike.

They have these flashlights that look like they'd be perfect for mounting on handlebars

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=NAVIGATION&CNTKEY=market/pg_zip_code.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1804577837.1012665121@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccadcefjfgefdcgelceffdfgidgmm.0&catOID=100014832&DRC=4

I thought of using Radio Shack 1600 mAH NiMH battery pack, or two in series with two of these lamps in series (for proper voltage). This seems like a very inexpensive 3.2 amp system that should last well over an hour and weigh very little. A simple recharger could be had for less than $20. This would put the total cost of the system at around $90 with two lights.

Anyone ever try something like this? Sounds like a really great way to get a long endurance, light weight, bright, easily adjustable head light system for bikes.

Thanks, OD

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
i'm in the early stages of designing a lighting system, hopefully it'll be ready for winter...
comprised of a BIG 7amp sealed lead acid brick/battery
50watt and 20watt dichroic halogen bulbs (used in downlights)
and do my own wiring... it'll almost double the weight of my bike, but be as bright as car headlights!

you can use NiMH, its alot more expensive but lighter, way lighter
as for bulbs, halogen seem the way to go, electrical suppliers sell them in a variety of power and lighting angles, you just have to be careful as they get VERY hot!

Old_Dude

Monkey
I'm sure I'm not the first person to try this . . . now, if it'd just get dark already . . . looks like it will be a spot type of light - narrow beam, but hey, for less than $11 with batteries, it's worth a shot . . .

NJPhil

Chimp
Dec 3, 2001
New Jersey
Hope it works out for you OD. Was thinking maybe you should get a reusable retention system, velcro or even plastic rathet straps, ie bindings. Otherwise you will be going through a lot of zip ties, unless you are planning on leaving the light on 24/7.:think:

Old_Dude

Monkey
Yeah, I'm thinking of leaving it on - looks so dorky, it's just too irresistable to take it off - especially with the uncut tie wraps - UGLY. I love it. I'll probably remove the batteries when I"m not using it at night.

Okay - last night I used the light - just around my yard & the neighborhood. It is quite a "spot" light and doesn't provide a wide, bright coverage. Still, for getting back in the dark, or just for short trips around the hood, it'll do. Maybe if I use two of these thing

Light - $10.95
Tie wraps - $0.06
Ultra-dorky look - priceless!