Quantcast

DJ virgin

Ed517

Chimp
Jun 5, 2011
Hello all DJ peoples.

Quick intro, I come from MX racing background, and also Trials (motorcycle), bought a DH bike a month ago, loving it, want to get into DJing.

Went to a sweet course today, was on my DH bike though, couple of questions.

Are bmx courses do-able on a DJ bike?
The jumps look sick! Is it just a question of trial and error?
Will a Giant stp be a good starting point?

My goal for the year would be to be able to hit every jump on the course in one go, ad flowwwwwwwwwwww...like a hawk

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
short answer-
yes
yes
and yes.

long answer-

most bmx 'courses' ( do you mean dirt jump trails or BMX race tracks?) are very ridable on 26" DJ bikes. Some bmx trails - once the skills get high - have lips and landings that are very steep and deep. These are more effectively ridden on a BMX rather than 26".

Jumping takes practice. Start small and work your way up. Or go for broke and see what you can do. Be ready to get hurt, cause it happens.

STP or any of the packaged DJ bikes are a good place to start.

now go out and pop your cherry!

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
with your background I have a feeling you're gonna do just fine right out of the gate. Once you get the first good sized double under belt, it's amazing what an increase in confidence lets you do.

Feb 5, 2010
Westminster, CO
Yeah, if you've done mx racing you'll already have a lot of the skills to dirt jump (judging speed, controlling yourself in the air, landing...) With a DH bike, you'll probably have more fun on jumps with mellow takeoff lips, longer spacing between jumps, and longer gaps; jumping big bikes is tough when the lips are short and steep (20 inch-style). Also, you might want to stiffen up your suspension if you need to pump through a lot of rollers.

I dirt jump and ride trials (bike) and switching back and forth between to two is tough. In trials, you try to land everything really far back on the rear wheel, and in dirt jumping you need to roll forward in the air and land more nose-down. After riding trials for a while I have trouble getting back in the groove of dropping my front end down in the dirt jumps.

Paulyd

Monkey
May 15, 2007
Great White North.
Bmx racing is something I wish was popular around here. Only 1 track i know of near me, and it's hard to find out what days I can actually ride and how much it is.

bmbass

Chimp
Sep 20, 2010
Hippyville, NC
I dirt jump and ride trials (bike) and switching back and forth between to two is tough. In trials, you try to land everything really far back on the rear wheel, and in dirt jumping you need to roll forward in the air and land more nose-down. After riding trials for a while I have trouble getting back in the groove of dropping my front end down in the dirt jumps.
Any advice on getting that motion of getting the nose down. Im getting in to DJing too, coming from a trail/freeride/dh background and for the life of me cant seem to get that motion. I'm G'ing out and today even rolled my 8=> up between my saddle and back tire from landing too back seat on a camelhump. Driving me crazy

Feb 5, 2010
Westminster, CO
Any advice on getting that motion of getting the nose down. Im getting in to DJing too, coming from a trail/freeride/dh background and for the life of me cant seem to get that motion. I'm G'ing out and today even rolled my 8=> up between my saddle and back tire from landing too back seat on a camelhump. Driving me crazy
It's definitely a different skill. I try to get my chest out over my bars (instead of pulling my bars to my chest), which helps get your weight where it needs to be. The more relaxed you can get the better, trying to force your way through a line will hinder your forward roll.

As for your 8=>, maybe raise your seat up a tad for a little while, make the gap a little bigger than your girth

BeerMe

Monkey
Apr 18, 2008
FOCO NOCO
Extend the arms and tuck the legs a little. Just don't do too much of either or your face will meet flat ground when your front tire reaches the landing.