Quantcast

Do it all Slopestyle DJ 24" full suspension frame

Rafoo

Chimp
Nov 30, 2009
Hi,

I've got a question: I'm currently looking for a frame that could do almost anything with 24" wheels. I'd like to ride freeride, DJ, street, and some trails, and it will be mounted with a kowa 160 fork.

I'm looking at the Corsair Konig regular, and the Mountain Cycle Battery.

I think they are both great frames, but which one would suit better to my use with 24 inches wheels ? (please don't ask me why 24" wheels, I'm a fashion victim ...).

Rafoo

Chimp
Nov 30, 2009
Yes I know those frames. There is a doberman for sale here in france but it is 1000 euros !! very very expensive. I haven't found the killswitch anywhere, do you know if someone is selling it used ? I'm not going to buy a frame brand new actually ( I forgot to mention that, I'm sorry).

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
the Konig was designed to run 26" wheels...throwing 24"s on it would probally screw up the geo big time, if you want to run 24" wheels get a frame that was designed to run them.

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
Seems like a there's a small market for people who are looking for a 24" dual suspension frame. I know I'd definitely pick up a DJ/Street frame with 4" of travel that was designed around 24" wheels.

Rafoo

Chimp
Nov 30, 2009
There are many dj or street frames (hardtail) which are designed to be mounted with either 26" or 24" wheels. I think it is the same with fully frames, isn't it ? I was on the Liteville website when I saw a version of ther 301 for 24" wheels. It is just the same frame as the 26" ones, but in size small.

I was thinking of the Konig because it has small chainstay and wheelbase and the BB is pretty high. I thought those things where the important thing to build a good 24".

What about the Battery ?

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
if a bike isnt made to handle both 24's and 26's I would just stick to what the frame was ment to ride on...if you really want a Konig on 24's def contact Corsair before and ask...

DamienD

Monkey
Nov 6, 2007
Bothell
why dont you put a 26 in front and a 24 in back then put a duel crown fork on. you will be soo cool then huck it of any cliff!!!!!

Rafoo

Chimp
Nov 30, 2009
It's you who said that it would "look dumb" with 24's, and well, I don't care if you don't like it, I was not asking about the look actually, but the faisability. And I've bought a battery frame which was very cheap and brand new. I think it will look better with 24's haha !

ChiliPepper

Chimp
Sep 30, 2009
Upstate, SC
What do you think of what this FR bike looks like:

It is a frame and fork for 26'ers but with 24's on it in the pic. It rides and feels better with the 24's than it does with the 26'ers for FR. I have also rode it with a 24/26 wheel combo as well. I have never had one person ever say it was ugly or funny looking ever. Go for it bro, you are riding it, not them. :thumb:

Last edited:

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Looks wise I dont think they would look that weird or bad (but then again if it performs well enough I dont care about looks)

From back when I was doing trials I know using using different size wheels could screw up how a bike feels/rides...some frames could interchange without a problems others rode like ****...given these are 2 different disciplines I could be wrong here.

ChiliPepper

Chimp
Sep 30, 2009
Upstate, SC
Looks wise I dont think they would look that weird or bad (but then again if it performs well enough I dont care about looks)

From back when I was doing trials I know using using different size wheels could screw up how a bike feels/rides...some frames could interchange without a problems others rode like ****...given these are 2 different disciplines I could be wrong here.
Well, I am not a trials rider so I could not tell you if it would make a difference or not in that discipline of riding, but I would think the smaller tire for that discipline bikes would be better anyways. Like 20" to 24". My son is somewhat in too all that, even though he mainly is into big drops (like his dad) and DJ's, he is learning that trials riding. I do know one thing though, 26'ers are far better than 24's when it comes to trail riding. Its like the 29'er and 26'er difference when it comes down to 24's and 26'ers, but when it comes down to FR, the 24's rock, especially the 24/26 combo. Those 24" wheels are just soooo much stronger in the back. :thumb:

Chillipepper, your bike looks awsome (you say "sick" here right ?)
Thanks bro! Even my 11 year old son loves hucking big and running the DJ's on her. Are you going to be hucking this new found steed of yours or a mix up of DJ's as well?

I am really digging that Corsair Konig, but that MCB is pretty sweet as well. Personally, if I were to choose, it would most likely fall on that sick looking Corsair Konig. This is a DJ that I am looking at for all the previous disciplines you mentioned, and most likely wil be getting after Christmas or in mid-January. This is going to make my urban FR even better.

Transition Bank

Last edited:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Hmmm...well, it seems that you already made a choice.

But I was going to say Arrow DSS-3 would be a good option for 24's.

Rafoo

Chimp
Nov 30, 2009
I really don't like the look of the DSS-3. It is not really common either, so hard to find for me.
Yeah the Corsair looks sick !! I love the look, but I think the rear triangle would look odd with a 24 (too much wheel clearance I think). I think the battery will be just fine, with an rp23, even if it'll be heavier than the corsair.

ChiliPepper

Chimp
Sep 30, 2009
Upstate, SC
.... does the reflector under your seat work very well at night? I was thinking about getting one:rofl:
Ha! Ha!.....:dance: Hell, I do not know. Have not used a reflector on my bikes in years

Actually, I forgot that damn thing was on there, my son put it on there for his urban night freeriding. Not sure really why though. He rides it from time to time.

Thanks for the heads up though, it will be coming off tomorrow. :thumb:

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
using 24" wheels on a suspension frame designed for 26" wheels MAY result in regular pedal strikes on terrain, when you bottom out your suspension, as the geometry (head tube angle and seat tube angle) does not changed but you will drop your b/b height 1-1.5" inches

the other issue is not getting the true benefits of 24" which are a more nimble bike from having a shorter wheelbase, specifically in the rear of the bike!

24" specific hardtail frames have MUCH shorter chainstays than bikes which are dubiously designed to be "both" 24" and 26" compatible....

I've owned various 24" specific and 24"/26" frames from Identiti, DMR, Azonic, etc. over the years]

the 24" specific frames worked SO much better with 24" than the 24"/26" frames did with 24" (normally just a big gap between the rear wheel and bottom bracket, as the wheelbase does not change...not making benefit of the smaller wheels to shorten the wheelbase in the rear centre)

ChiliPepper

Chimp
Sep 30, 2009
Upstate, SC
using 24" wheels on a suspension frame designed for 26" wheels MAY result in regular pedal strikes on terrain, when you bottom out your suspension, as the geometry (head tube angle and seat tube angle) does not changed but you will drop your b/b height 1-1.5" inches

the other issue is not getting the true benefits of 24" which are a more nimble bike from having a shorter wheelbase, specifically in the rear of the bike!

24" specific hardtail frames have MUCH shorter chainstays than bikes which are dubiously designed to be "both" 24" and 26" compatible....

I've owned various 24" specific and 24"/26" frames from Identiti, DMR, Azonic, etc. over the years]

the 24" specific frames worked SO much better with 24" than the 24"/26" frames did with 24" (normally just a big gap between the rear wheel and bottom bracket, as the wheelbase does not change...not making benefit of the smaller wheels to shorten the wheelbase in the rear centre)
Very strong point and well put. I have to agree with you on the feel of the 24's on a 24" specific frame compared to the 24's on the 26" specific frames. I was surprised how well the 24's felt on my FR rig though, but of course I prefer the 24"/26" combo (24" in the rear and 26" up front) much better on that bike. Thanks for your input bro! :thumb:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I really don't like the look of the DSS-3. It is not really common either, so hard to find for me.
Yeah the Corsair looks sick !! I love the look, but I think the rear triangle would look odd with a 24 (too much wheel clearance I think). I think the battery will be just fine, with an rp23, even if it'll be heavier than the corsair.
I know this thread is kind of dead, but I had a DS3 and it was a fun little bike. With a better "pro-pedal" style shock, I think it has a ton of potential. Mine was undersprung at 5" with the stock shock, but it was nimble and cornered like crazy. If i had access to places like Highland when I had it, I would have kept it.

Biggest downfalls were the low BB, pedaling ability, and lack of 24" dedicated geometry. It was really well built and would be fun someplace you aren't trailriding.

Pretty much all BB concentric bikes are going to have these downfalls.

Rafoo

Chimp
Nov 30, 2009
So I'm building the bike this WE. I've got almost everything. I wanted to try an Hmmershmidt but there is no iscg mount on the frame, too bad. So here is my build with many parts i had left from my other bike.

MC battery with rp23XV
Kowa 160ss 2009 (adjustable from 30mm to 160mm travel :) versatility, here I am)
Wheels built aroun Onyx hubs, Sun double wide etc.
Formula oro k24 brakes (185mm front, 160mm rear).
Xt rear mech,
sram attack shifter
Stonedge stem,
Answer pro taper OS 2" ride handel bars,
Race face evolve DH crankset, with shamman racing bash and a chain tensionner , welgo mag pedals
SDG saddle

And I think that's all :)

It's going to be fun :) (but heavy ...)

rec

Chimp
Oct 1, 2004
Central Va.
Check my Toy 4 built on 24" wheels in the BMX classified section.
You can build a toy any way you want
PM me if interested or have any questions

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So I'm building the bike this WE. I've got almost everything. I wanted to try an Hmmershmidt but there is no iscg mount on the frame, too bad. So here is my build with many parts i had left from my other bike.

MC battery with rp23XV
Kowa 160ss 2009 (adjustable from 30mm to 160mm travel :) versatility, here I am)
Wheels built aroun Onyx hubs, Sun double wide etc.
Formula oro k24 brakes (185mm front, 160mm rear).
Xt rear mech,
sram attack shifter
Stonedge stem,
Answer pro taper OS 2" ride handel bars,
Race face evolve DH crankset, with shamman racing bash and a chain tensionner , welgo mag pedals
SDG saddle

And I think that's all :)

It's going to be fun :) (but heavy ...)
show me some photos dude! nice ride

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
please dont pout double wides on it. They are not strong and just weight a **** ton. plus it makes you look like your stuck in the 90's

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
please dont pout double wides on it. They are not strong and just weight a **** ton. plus it makes you look like your stuck in the 90's
True...I hope you meant double tracks or whatever. You can't even get doublewides anymore...they aren't/were never good.

Rafoo

Chimp
Nov 30, 2009
I've bought a pair of wheels with double wides, they were not to badly expensive, and they were complete (casette, tires and tubes) that is why I bought that. I know they weight a ton, but I don't have much money to buy a good pair of wheels. Maybe I'll change them later.

Rafoo

Chimp
Nov 30, 2009
I've begun to build my bike. I've got some problems with my front hubs (end caps missing ...) but here it is :

Rafoo

Chimp
Nov 30, 2009
No not that much :) (why don't you use metric system you americans ...) Maybe around 15kg, I don't know yet :) But it is pretty heavy yeah ^^