Quantcast

Do the Mono M4's have a noticable difference over the Mono Mini's?

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
Well Im gonna do it, leave my beloved Hayes and try some Hopes. Im getting some wheels built up now with some Bulbs, rear, and a 20mm TA front hub. The bike or bikes that I will swap wheels around or atleast the front wheel are:
1. Ventana El Chamuco and #2 is my new 575, both are basicly 6" trail bikes but Im building the 575 up to be lighter and the Chamuco to be my heavier duty bike for some DH runs and Ski lift duties.
So, would the Mono Mini's be fine, perhaps I would use a 7 or 8" rotor, or if there is a huge difference should I use a Mono M4 with a 7 or 8" rotor?

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Excellent, another convert to the Hope brigade. I think the main difference in the minis and the m4's lies in modulation, not power. The minis would probably be fine with a 185 or 203 mm (7-8) rotor, but if you want to shell out the extra cash step up to the m4s. You won't be dissapointed either way, good luck.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
For trail riding the Minis are fine, if you plan on DH go with the M4's. The mono rotor sizes are 160, 180, 200. Minis will need adaptors to run 200mm rotors.

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
I didnt' want to let this cat out of the bag yet without some really nice pics to back it up, but I have been running some Mono 4's for about a month now. They are everything Brian has hyped them to be. The modulation over Hayes is crazy. The lever feel is so really soft, almost to the point where you think it might not be strong. But once you're riding, that's just the variable amount of power you have to choose from. Need a small feathering? Fine. Need a whole handful of white-knuckled tire locking? Got that too. They are great. Buy them. You want be sorry.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Zoso
I didnt' want to let this cat out of the bag yet without some really nice pics to back it up, but I have been running some Mono 4's for about a month now. They are everything Brian has hyped them to be. The modulation over Hayes is crazy. The lever feel is so really soft, almost to the point where you think it might not be strong. But once you're riding, that's just the variable amount of power you have to choose from. Need a small feathering? Fine. Need a whole handful of white-knuckled tire locking? Got that too. They are great. Buy them. You want be sorry.
Welcome to the Hope family:D

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Originally posted by Zoso
That's exactly how my friends describe it. And that's just squeezing levers in the parking lot, they said the hopes feel alot softer and more appealing.

I had a friend that had the Mini's, not the Monos.. but he dumped them because they didn't do so well on long runs? I hear the mini's are alot better for DS and DJ, save up on weight, but not so great on DH runs.

PeteThomas

Chimp
May 24, 2004
I'd say go for the Mono M4s, now that Hope have switched to a monobody the weight difference is minimal (less than 50g?).

From using friends Minis the main gain with the M4s is modulation. The Minis seem just as powerful, although I'd imagine the 4 pots would dissipate heat better on a long run - I'd say if you can afford the extra go for the M4s.

roee

Chimp
Mar 13, 2004
At least get M4 for front. For the extra 50$, it's really worth it IMHO (at least, the peace of mind is).

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
I've also heard that the old Shimano 4 pot pads can run in the new Mono 4's. In case your stuck somewhere that only has Shimano.

Any truth to this Brian?

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
This is a great thread for me. I've been thinking of trying Hopes but can't really afford it right now. For trailriding/DH would an m4 front (200mm) and a mono mini rear (180mm) be a decent idea? That would cut a few $$.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by ArEm7
This is a great thread for me. I've been thinking of trying Hopes but can't really afford it right now. For trailriding/DH would an m4 front (200mm) and a mono mini rear (180mm) be a decent idea? That would cut a few $$.
The largest mini you can run in the rear is a 160. You'll need an adaptor to get it to 180.