Quantcast

do you know somthing about BOS suspention??

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'd love to have a play with one of their rear shocks, but I didn't like their 888 mod at all when I rode it. Seemed to have a bad transition to HSC and left the fork feeling oversprung and harsh. That was only after about 10 minutes of goofing around with the fork, which belonged to an irishman with a knack for tuning things very badly - so it might not have been a good example.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'd love to have a play with one of their rear shocks, but I didn't like their 888 mod at all when I rode it. Seemed to have a bad transition to HSC and left the fork feeling oversprung and harsh. That was only after about 10 minutes of goofing around with the fork, which belonged to an irishman with a knack for tuning things very badly - so it might not have been a good example.
Heh.......I had the same experience riding someone's bike who has a knack for tuning things pretty well.

One of the worst spiking forks I've ever ridden.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i have a friend who has a bossed dhx on a sunday, test rode it and its amazing. its has loads of LSC and not very fast LSR, get deeper into its travel and it speeds up. basically stable everywhere, then when you hit bumps it just opens up. :drool:

lockstock

Monkey
Mar 6, 2007
i have a friend who has a bossed dhx on a sunday, test rode it and its amazing. its has loads of LSC and not very fast LSR, get deeper into its travel and it speeds up. basically stable everywhere, then when you hit bumps it just opens up. :drool:
this reminds me of what the dirt guys said about Hills bike when they rode it, yet everyone on here talks about how Sunday's are best with very little LSC.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
this reminds me of what the dirt guys said about Hills bike when they rode it, yet everyone on here talks about how Sunday's are best with very little LSC.
this is why i'm keen to try the vivid, as i find the pro-pedal adjustment to be a poor adjustment of lsc. i love how plush the sunday is but it has a tendency to wallow in its travel and mis-match the fork damping at slow speeds and in flatter or long bermed corners.

i had a prototype fox vanilla back in '03 with the first generation pro-pedal installed on a 223. at first i hated how felt when i pushed on it but over time i realized that, once up to speed, the bike was super level and still worked as well as the stock damper.

obviously shocks have changed quite a bit since then but i think lsc done right (i.e. in the hands of a capable tuner/rider) could be awesome on a sunday; particularly for pro-level riders who tend to go a little bit faster and will overcome the stock lsc setting much easier.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I had a quick spin on a BOS-tuned m3 (Swinger rear, Dorado front, both BOS'd) and that thing felt schweet... like you said, very stable without being overly harsh. No idea what they actually did to it but it felt good.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
Had mine since Saturday at the national round here, and I'd been riding a DHX since Thursday on the same track. The BOS sags more than the DHX on the flat, but gives a lot more grip in turns- it makes a noticable difference. Basically the bike is a lot more stable- so rather than being bucked into a turn and then bounced out, your bike stays even.

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
Had mine since Saturday at the national round here, and I'd been riding a DHX since Thursday on the same track. The BOS sags more than the DHX on the flat, but gives a lot more grip in turns- it makes a noticable difference. Basically the bike is a lot more stable- so rather than being bucked into a turn and then bounced out, your bike stays even.
What did it cost to get one to Oz? Did you get it from BOS?

ozzemale

Chimp
May 3, 2004
sydney
Hi,

well like dave i received my shock last thursday and rode it all week end at the national champs. Bos and Rouler Imports back in Australia are building a strong relationship through Fabien pedemanaud, one of my french mates sponsored by BOS engineering.

carateristics:

Adjustements offered:

high and low speed compression
rebound

no air etc...

spring weight: 325 pds
i weigh 85KG and would normally run a 450 on a dhx 5

set up with hardly any preload and with a minimum of 30 % sag, the shock relies a lot more on the hydraulics and its dampening system.

Obviously the shock is tuned to your weight prior to mounting, sent with the right hardware when provided correctly and set up with a dampening curve adapted to the type of suspension you're running.

I just got off the phone with Bos and the beauty about those shocks is the lack of friction over any other shock out there.
I noticed that the shock even had sag under the bikes weight which could easily be mistaken for a damaged in most cases.

feelings on track:

in the open:
after a day of adjusting and no bedding in period either (no bedding period necessary) i found the shock a lot more stable than my previous shock. stable as in it would manage the changes from small impact to big impacts with a lot more progressivity and less nervous shifts in balance points on the bike. Which resulted in a more stable feel and being able to embrace the terrain rather than fight it or cope it in the body.

in the tight sections:

in the tight and slow sections, the shock amazed me again with the stability it offered through it's tracking, obviously all the sag being run with the shock, pays off in that kind of situation and you find yourself feeling like you have endless amoutn of travel without loosing in efficiency. A very good feeling especially when coming out of tight corners and putting one or two pedal strokes.

in corners:

well that is the shocks' time to shine. I found myself going speed out of my comfort zone. and that's what struck me the most about the shock is the ability to upkeep the overall balance of the bike so damn well centered no massive dives and rearwheel riding.
The shock gave me a very strong sense of tracking and quality grip entering corners but the exiting is where it's at as i found myself coming out of corners a lot faster than what i'm used to (poor cornering skills right here!).
back to the stability thing, i found i was braking a lot later than what i was used to and having my body position a lot more forward due to the improved balance of the bike.
Pure heaven through the corners.

Now the down side to this shock is that it makes your forks feel like **** house. For the simple fact that bos shock relies a lot less on the srpingy feel of suspension and much more on the dampening and Bos recommended i run a few more clicks on the slow speed compression of my boxxers to even out the control of the bike and avoid massive dives. And i experienced near over the bars experience several times over the week end.

Now bos provides boxxer, fox and marzocchi dampening cartridges.
We are waiting for our boxxer cartridges as we speak.

Over all the shock left me wanting for more and was amazed at how quickly i felt at home on it despite the major differences in the set up compared to my old dhX5. I spent more time trying to tune my boxxers accordingly than tuning the dh07 from Bos.

What an essay but i hope this helps a few of you guys out there.

NIcho

ozzemale

Chimp
May 3, 2004
sydney
i was running a Nicolai ION ST with horst link, and dave is running a NICOLAI UFO ST single pivot.

we both noticed the same characteristics.

nicho

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Ok. I´ve tried a pushed DHX on a Sunday. A little different from the stock shock, but the stock was fine, actually.
Nugget: How does it ride? More stable seem obvious. Is it better in rocky/techy stuff? Does it feel like you just wan´t to plow through everything or like you can pump up speed and jump on things?
I´v never been truly happy with the stock DHX. Just OK.
So, the bos-mod might be worth a try after all, I guess.

Getting a rearshock to work properly is pure pain. I hate it.

nugget

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
somewhere near a town
Ok. I´ve tried a pushed DHX on a Sunday. A little different from the stock shock, but the stock was fine, actually.
Nugget: How does it ride? More stable seem obvious. Is it better in rocky/techy stuff? Does it feel like you just wan´t to plow through everything or like you can pump up speed and jump on things?
I´v never been truly happy with the stock DHX. Just OK.
So, the bos-mod might be worth a try after all, I guess.

Getting a rearshock to work properly is pure pain. I hate it.
I've never tried a pushed shock, but i've tried a Mojo tune dhx for a scott bike it wasn't much difference either. Just that the rebound would speed up over chatter bumps. Funny thing was, it started leaking after 4 days of riding.

Bos tune makes it hell alot more stable, the bike doesn't just sink in or go crazy when it meets a bump. It feels like its using just the amount of travel you need for that bump. Not or less. It also doesn't have the annoying harsh feel the stock DHX had.

You can plow through everything if you wanted or skip over stuff. There's there's alot of feedback from the shock even tho its butter smooth.

(all this is with the setting BOS recommended, of course you can change around a little it to your liking.)

Bos also recommended a setting for my fork that seems to match the rear pretty well, tho i'm so wanting the 40 cart now. :)

How it helps, I'll say go for it. Its not cheap but its a world of a difference.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Thanks nugget, great feedback. I did the mojo as well... Only bos left, hehe.

nugget

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
somewhere near a town
wow, nice ION!!!

these shocks sound awsome!

sorry if this is ignorant, but i couldnt find anything on the web...
what does distribution & prices look like in the U.S. for the actual BOS shock?
California to narrow it down somewhat...

and what is the price for the DHX tune?
The tune is 215 euros.

I'm curious to the cosr of the shock its self also.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
is it just be or does it sound similar to how a cane creak feels. Not having ridden either but the increased stability and better control in the corners seems to be something thats mentioned alot by DB owners along with being able to run a lighter spring. Has anyone ridden both a Cane Creak and a Boss and would like to compare them

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
K-9 Industries has announced (November 21st, 2007) on their website (http://www.k9industries.com), that they "... will be testing BOS VTT DH damper and Cane Creek DB side-by-side to see its performance differences ... as well as damper dynamometer testing." After reading their thorough test report about the CCDB and other VTT shocks in "DIRT mountainbike magazine" #63 2007 (http://www.canecreek.com/images/stories/products/reviews/dirt_63_db_article.pdf), I think it will be worthwhile reading this new side-by-side test report as soon as it will be published.

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
Are they getting the BOS shock specially tuned for their bike and then putting it on the shock dyno? Or are they getting a 'generic' tune just for the dyno?. Two completely different machines that will produce different results I'd think.

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia

From my quick backyard spin it can say it feels completely different to anything else that I've ever ridden. I'll do some runs on Sunday and give a proper ride report.