Quantcast

Does an inch really make a difference?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Ok I know lately alot of us have beaten this down to totally confusing and here and there with no real answer other than I ride a and YEAH WELL THATS NICE but.

Any how here is a question based on my situation and hopefull anyone else thats 6'2" or around it.

Does 1" really make difference in frame size. Or is is minimal depending on the current configuration.

I have a 47mm stem I could go with a 60mm, I have a really slack headangle.
My knees are 5.5" at closest to the bars as it is, I have a 32" inseam or just shy of 32".
I have my saddle back as far as it goes safely.

Isn't this essentially the same as getting a frame thats 1" bigger.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
whats your top tube length?

i'd feel it'd make some difference, that you'll notice. but your bike is also new to you. so i'd say try it and go ride it. if you don't like it. go back

brittmtb

Chimp
Jan 17, 2005
I'm 6'2" and ride med frames with 40-50mm stems. I think you'd notice quite a difference with a one inch longer top tube. I've ridden large frames and hate them because I can't flick them around as easily. Also with a smaller frame you can always do what you're doing now, but if you get a bigger frame there's no way to make it shorter if you don't like it.

EOBF

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Bellingham, WA
I'm 6'2" and ride med frames with 40-50mm stems. I think you'd notice quite a difference with a one inch longer top tube. I've ridden large frames and hate them because I can't flick them around as easily. Also with a smaller frame you can always do what you're doing now, but if you get a bigger frame there's no way to make it shorter if you don't like it.
Well put, it was exactly what I have been telling people. I also am 6'2" and ride a medium.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Hell yes it makes a difference. Putting your seat back on the rails does NOTHING on a DH bike unless you ride DH sitting down (and if you do ride DH sitting down, chances are you won't notice any changes anyway), and using a longer stem has steering side-effects (for better or worse - I use a 70mm stem instead of my old 50mm and happen to like it cos my HA is very slack). It most definitely makes a difference to have a 1" longer reach.

Chaz-man

Chimp
Jan 23, 2007
In a hole near a mountain
I think that the inch really makes a difference. Its the difference between 2 frame sizes for most companies. I know that on a road bike, even 5to 10mm makes a big difference for me. On my DH bike I can ride bigger and smaller sizes and ride them well, but my size is the most comfortable and gives me the most confidence.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm about 6' 1" and I ride medium DH bikes with 50-70mm stems.

One inch in top tube length is a big difference, and using a longer stem is OK but not really the same thing. With a longer stem my weight is riding that much more forward, so I end up with more front end dive, chances of endo, etc. I prefer to have the bike in front of me so given a choice I get frames that fit right with a 50mm stem.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
compensating with a longer stem will affect the center steer of the bike negatively. a longer TT and shorter stem would be much better for DH.

Tonycalves

Monkey
Feb 16, 2005
PB SanDiego/NYC
I have the same problem "Irish curse". And the same problem with my bikes. about 6' with barely a 31' inseam. the longer toptube is the way to go for me. Not everyone is the same, you do loose flickablity but gain better weight distribution. I like 24" TT, low and stretched out. And a short stem, that the most comfortable for my riding style "Hack". The cornering comes to you or it did for me. I couldn't get my wieght right cause it had me too upright. I've sold more then 1 bike cause f the problem.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, I think one inch makes a big difference. My VP-Free has a 23.2 top tube, and switching from 70mm to 50mm gave me better position for a person with shorter arms riding a slightly bigger bike.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
I'm 6'2"
Bikes i had that worked excellent...
Medium Bullet--SC fork
Medium Heckler--DC fork
Medium DH9--DC fork
Medium ASX now with DC fork!!!

Not so great-
Medium V10-impossible to use a DC fork at my height.Knees hit!