Quantcast

Does anybody read [books] anymore?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hey @Westy

You know, just in case you don't already have enough existential dread

Dunno, we are rapidly approaching a point where being a character in a McCarthy book may be a better option than reality. "I survived a nuclear apocolypse with my son?" Sweet.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Dunno, we are rapidly approaching a point where being a character in a McCarthy book may be a better option than reality. "I survived a nuclear apocolypse with my son?" Sweet.
Ah.... See, this may be where you and I differ. That exact book is what I think of when I think "Man, surviving the apocalypse would suck.....". Not a fan of actual baby, baby back ribs.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Just finished this. Not Dostoyevsky, but an interesting look into the world of pro hockey from a different angle than some of the other hockey books...

1650215734397.png

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Cloud Atlas

It is rare for me to find a piece of fiction that I can tolerate yet enjoy. I am about halfway through Cloud Atlas and have no idea where this is going and don't really care. I find pretty much every aspect of it to be engaging and entertaining from prose to plot.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
It is rare for me to find a piece of fiction that I can tolerate yet enjoy. I am about halfway through Cloud Atlas and have no idea where this is going and don't really care. I find pretty much every aspect of it to be engaging and entertaining from prose to plot.
Try the Blindsight.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Here is the most terrifying, relentless, compelling thing I've read in a while.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hey @Westy

You know, just in case you don't already have enough existential dread

Was checking to see when that came out and realized I never read Sunset Limited, or even knew about it, and the associated movie. Anyway just finished it. Quick read and in some ways Cormac's darkest stuff, at least the most direct.

Dunno why but it put me into a good mood. I may agree with everything the professor says but I am more than happy to wake up to all this pointless bullshit every day. I'll take this finite suffering as I will still get infinite nothingness. Scarcity drives demand I guess.

1660786455610.png

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
probably 5th time listening to again....combined with reading....nine...a excerpt....i cry tears...

i found three folded color polaroid prints quite ancient and faded featuring obscene acts so unique and so improbable that after a instant of surprise the performers no longer looked obscene or shocking but looked instead strangely comic and forlorn.

nobody i knew. all strangers. even the sheep dog.

john d macdonald "dress her in indigo"

The storm of November 25-27 1950 grew to become the worst storm ever recorded over the United States. Coburn Creek, West Virginia, received sixty-two inches of snow. Records of minus 1 degree Fahrenheit were set in Louisville, Kentucky, and Nashville, Tennessee, and thirty inches of snow fell in Pittsburgh, bringing the steel industry to a half.

— George Dyson in Turing's Cathedral

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I've read it before, but right now I'm reading Dracula, but in "real time". Stumbled across this website (on Reddit, maybe?) that sends you the pages of Dracula "as they happen" since everything in the book is either a journal entry, newspaper article, etc, they happen on a certain day and you get the entries on that day. I think it's kind of neat. Today was the 4th chapter so if you wanted to start today you wouldn't be too far behind.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I've read it before, but right now I'm reading Dracula, but in "real time". Stumbled across this website (on Reddit, maybe?) that sends you the pages of Dracula "as they happen" since everything in the book is either a journal entry, newspaper article, etc, they happen on a certain day and you get the entries on that day. I think it's kind of neat. Today was the 4th chapter so if you wanted to start today you wouldn't be too far behind.

if you like Dracula in this style. You should check out “the kolchak papers” by Jeff Rice. There are other books and a tv show from the 70’s.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm finishing The Passenger right now. At least he mellowed out a bit there at the end.

I've read everything by him more than once. Absolute one-of-a-kind writer.

Same. Hands down my favorite author. Glad he was able to complete The Passenger and Stella Maris. In some ways more chill than the rest of his work, still possibly his most sincerely dark stories.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So instead of recomendations I need to vent. Poland had a literall walled city where Soviet Officers stationed 1946-1993. There was a huge evacuation of Soviet Army post 89 that lasted 4 years. Zero books on the topic. Zero books on Foreign Inteligence in Poland evacuating in early 90s. Basically it's a historical black hole. Even the national "rememberence institute" has nothing.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
So instead of recomendations I need to vent. Poland had a literall walled city where Soviet Officers stationed 1946-1993. There was a huge evacuation of Soviet Army post 89 that lasted 4 years. Zero books on the topic. Zero books on Foreign Inteligence in Poland evacuating in early 90s. Basically it's a historical black hole. Even the national "rememberence institute" has nothing.
Sounds like you just found your next creative project, to me.