Quantcast

Does anyone here not like the sunday?

nugget

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
somewhere near a town
I agree totally. It actually exagerates how big the large frame is. More importantly, you have to run your seat down low, which looks seedy.
I think its weird how the large looks.. I think they should make all the frames with the same brace and height of the Small sunday. Than if the taller people need a longer length just raise the post.. Looks alot better IMO.

Does anyone know the weight of the 07 Sunday Frame (US made) and shock only?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
For those that own a sunday,
How much sag do you run?
What the Axle to crown the sunday was design around?

I've been trying to find a nice axle to crown height but haven't seem to have found it. When i slam the crowns, it feels a little to low but when i raise it up half a inch, it starts getting that chopper feel..

I'm running a 10 degree rise stem with a small spacer below now, should i change to a stright stem and remove the spacer. Would that be better?
The sunday is designed around the 203mm travel boxxer, which has a 568mm minimum axle to crown height. I'd start with the boxxer at that setting (205mm of exposed stanchion will do the trick), and run the lowest possible bar and stem you can with no spacers.

Having a low bar height is important on the sunday because the BB height is so low. I'd recommend a 1" rise bar (easton EA70 lowrise is good) and a low stem - thomson elite 25.4 is good for a standard stem, or SIC/Funn for integrated. Don't run the e13 stem, it's too high and some people here have had bad experiences with them.

You can also safely remove the black dust cover from the FSA headset to lower the bar height further. There will be five silver microspacers underneath it, if you remove the dust cover you only need to run two of these (and the top crown directly on top of them).

Once the bar/stem height is low enough, you can play with the fork axle to crown to get the head angle you want.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i'll ask this question since nugget has before in other treads....

he sees some of the ih riders like duncan running the boxxre slammed but sam hill running what seems to be all the way up... so what do you guys think about that?

and about the e13, thats from and impact. if its from over tightening and cracks forming around the hole, the stress consentration would be there and the crack would pass through the hole. which it doesn't in this case.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
he sees some of the ih riders like duncan running the boxxre slammed but sam hill running what seems to be all the way up... so what do you guys think about that?

and about the e13, thats from and impact. if its from over tightening and cracks forming around the hole, the stress consentration would be there and the crack would pass through the hole. which it doesn't in this case.
The different boxxer heights give different head angles. I had a little play with an angle finder, and with the boxxer at the standard 568mm height (lowest) the head angle is around 65.5*. If you drop it all the way down in the [flat] crowns, the head angle is about 65* flat. You'll also gain a couple mm in wheelbase with the taller fork setup.

I think it'd be track dependant, for faster or steeper courses i'd run a longer axle to crown height, and have it slammed for tighter more technical tracks. If you wanted an all round setting, i'd personally keep it on the long side with the lowest possible bar/stem setup.

As for the e13, were you replying to my post? I didn't even mention specifics (in terms of bad experiences) so I have no idea what you're trying to say. Anyway, there are lower and nicer options out there IMO if you want to go integrated.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
As for the e13, were you replying to my post? I didn't even mention specifics (in terms of bad experiences) so I have no idea what you're trying to say. Anyway, there are lower and nicer options out there IMO if you want to go integrated.
sorry, that was a reply to the earlier post.

nugget

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
somewhere near a town
The different boxxer heights give different head angles. I had a little play with an angle finder, and with the boxxer at the standard 568mm height (lowest) the head angle is around 65.5*. If you drop it all the way down in the [flat] crowns, the head angle is about 65* flat. You'll also gain a couple mm in wheelbase with the taller fork setup.

I think it'd be track dependant, for faster or steeper courses i'd run a longer axle to crown height, and have it slammed for tighter more technical tracks. If you wanted an all round setting, i'd personally keep it on the long side with the lowest possible bar/stem setup.

Yep I'll try slamming the bars as low as they can go and see how it goes from there..

I'm using a 40 so the A/c range is crazy.. when all is at its lowest, I think theres about 1.5 inch of stantion extra.

Last question, whats the height of the boxxer when its all the way up?

Thanks for the helps.

nugget

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
somewhere near a town
i'll ask this question since nugget has before in other treads....

Adam, Thanks for that repost.. Looks like i might be in search of another direct mount..

Anyways, do you want to buy a sunday? ;) hahah

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
burgtec penthouse....lol... you planning to get another bike while you are in army? nah no sundays for me just yet... happy with my bike now and i am very at home on it. no changes for a while.... although the 08 commencal is pure sex man... you should just take the commencal sponcership and get it...

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
The sundays seem to be really good bikes from the several different one's ive ridden, but it seems like theyve stepped up quality control, the 07's seem to have been smoothed out.

nugget

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
somewhere near a town
The sunday is designed around the 203mm travel boxxer, which has a 568mm minimum axle to crown height. I'd start with the boxxer at that setting (205mm of exposed stanchion will do the trick), and run the lowest possible bar and stem you can with no spacers.

Having a low bar height is important on the sunday because the BB height is so low. I'd recommend a 1" rise bar (easton EA70 lowrise is good) and a low stem - thomson elite 25.4 is good for a standard stem, or SIC/Funn for integrated. Don't run the e13 stem, it's too high and some people here have had bad experiences with them.

You can also safely remove the black dust cover from the FSA headset to lower the bar height further. There will be five silver microspacers underneath it, if you remove the dust cover you only need to run two of these (and the top crown directly on top of them).

Once the bar/stem height is low enough, you can play with the fork axle to crown to get the head angle you want.

UDI,

How much expose stantion (seal to lower crown) is there where the boxxer are at the tallest position?

Thank You.
:)

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 years on the Sunday and its been a great bike and it has only gotten better with the improvements but I would love to see a lighter version.

Sunday SL: Carbon front triangle, ti hardware. When does production start?

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
3 years on the Sunday and its been a great bike and it has only gotten better with the improvements but I would love to see a lighter version.

only sam knows and he's not talking.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com

Hehe, i'm all for light bikes but the Sunday Factory frameset I think is plenty light already.

Pick lighter parts :D

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
I like mine for the way it rides....but...

Paint is garbage, mine looks worse than any bike I've owned.

I can run through a set of shock reducers in 3 runs or less. I have constant play in the rear end.

People need to keep in mind the Sunday is a race bike. If you don't set it up right, and ride it fast, it's probably gonna feel a little strange to you. The faster you go, the better the bike tracks and feels. Definitely corners with the best of 'em.

That said, theres lots of good DH bikes out there other than the sunday.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hehe, i'm all for light bikes but the Sunday Factory frameset I think is plenty light already.

Pick lighter parts :D
I already have mostly light parts but just because the frameset is light doesn't mean it can't be even lighter. It seems like carbon fiber frames are getting more and more common so why not a Sunday main frame.

As for reliability I am on the same shock reducers the last 2 years and one set of bushings this year. One good advice is not to wash the bike especially not with any water pressure. The Sunday is like a Boxxer you need to take good care of them and they can run trouble free if you don't you can will quickly have problems. With more an more bikes using multiple links I guess that goes for all of them.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
As for reliability I am on the same shock reducers the last 2 years and one set of bushings this year.
Are you serious? How much did you ride that year? Cause my bushings don´t last for more than 10 days, if it´s lift-accessed riding...? The upper bushing wears out a bit faster than the lower one. And I don´t wash my bike unless it´s really muddy.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Are you serious? How much did you ride that year? Cause my bushings don´t last for more than 10 days, if it´s lift-accessed riding...? The upper bushing wears out a bit faster than the lower one. And I don´t wash my bike unless it´s really muddy.

not an issue for any '07+ Sundays with the 10mm hardware and new linkage. 6 months of solid riding, racing, and heavy washing at local races, world cups and all points in between and i've had not one ounce of play in any part of the frame or shock.

nor have i managed to so much as chip the paint.

people will still complain about the old bikes but it's pretty hard to argue that the probmlems of previous models have not been fixed entirely from 2007 forward.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
not an issue for any '07+ Sundays with the 10mm hardware and new linkage. 6 months of solid riding, racing, and heavy washing at local races, world cups and all points in between and i've had not one ounce of play in any part of the frame or shock.

nor have i managed to so much as chip the paint.

people will still complain about the old bikes but it's pretty hard to argue that the probmlems of previous models have not been fixed entirely from 2007 forward.
I´ve never had a pre 07 sunday... I check bolts and possible linkage problems after every ride. I take care of my equipment. Side to side play have been ZERO, but there is no way the bushings last for six month of riding... And world cups...?
Besides, bushing wear is not a big deal, so chill. I had a couple of month of solid riding too, but things wear out and have to be changed, just like on any other bike.

;)

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I´ve never had a pre 07 sunday... I check bolts and possible linkage problems after every ride. I take care of my equipment. Side to side play have been ZERO, but there is no way the bushings last for six month of riding... And world cups...?
Besides, bushing wear is not a big deal, so chill. I had a couple of month of solid riding too, but things wear out and have to be changed, just like on any other bike.

;)

wearing out your bushings in 10 days sounds a bit rediculous to me if you take care of your bike and wash it. . . not sure where the "try not to wash it" advide originated but it's bogus.

and yes way, the bushing do in fact last 6 months or more under hard riding and racing. if you are wearing them out in 10 rides as you claim to be i'd doubt your taking care of everything as well as you claim.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003

;)
what he general said, is true for me as well... april to november, Lift servised DH or races every weekend, trail rides, mud mud and more mud, local races to world cups... i have put this bike through it all

nothing loose, nothing worn out, ZERO play... and guess what, my shock bushings are still like new... if you take them out clean them and put some grease on them yours will last a long time too

and the paint on the 07 models is pretty much bulletproof, not even a scratch on this thing

someone mentioned weight? my Sunday WC, is stock except for heavier mavic wheels, and a ti spring and it wieghs just under 40 lbs with dh tubes installed, and about 39 even with xc tubes... which i ran everywhere but mount saint anne

awsome race bike... love it

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
. . not sure where the "try not to wash it" advide originated but it's bogus.
Me neither, seeing that your qoute ("___") is not complete...hehe.:brows:

Sorry folks, but we have different experiences. Amazing you get them to last that long. I will check my gear better :banghead: to get my bushings to last as long as yours and put some extra grease on them. ;)

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Me neither, seeing that your qoute ("___") is not complete...hehe.:brows:

Sorry folks, but we have different experiences. Amazing you get them to last that long. I will check my gear better :banghead: to get my bushings to last as long as yours and put some extra grease on them. ;)

from CBJ: "One good advice is not to wash the bike especially not with any water pressure. "

from you: "And I don´t wash my bike unless it´s really muddy."

bad advice put into practice:poster_oops:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Lee I don't know if there are differences depending on what links you buy as I am running 05 upper and 06 lower. However I have had much better luck with my bearings staying in good shape in 06 and 07 when didn't do any cleaning with a hose or water jet. In stead I use a bucket of water and an old brush. The headset bearings has also lasted all season this year for the first time. Bogus I am not sure maybe just different experiences.

Pelo I have ridden almost all weekends since May and also did a two week tour of B.C. so the bike has seen plenty of DH miles.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Actually, I'm with pelo on this one. I wore out my upper bushing in a few months of use - and I could see his 10 days of lift serviced riding being roughly equivalent to that. It was kept greased and tight all along (obviously tight, otherwise things other than the DU bushing would wear). By design, the upper bushing sees a LOT of rotation compared to other designs, so wear is somewhat inevitable. The only real factors would be how much you ride and perhaps how much sag you run (I use 100% of my travel pretty much every run so yeah, a lot of rotation).

So pelo I wouldn't say you were doing anything wrong here, and it's not the hardest problem to fix. Just buy some spares and replace them when you need to. The DU bushing number is 0808, you can get them cheaper from bolt/bearing shops and in packs of 10 or more usually.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
I had one, couldn't get on with it.

Tried a few different settings, just never felt right to me. I think its because I prefer the feel of a VPP suspension design.