Quantcast

does no one eat anymore?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
no recipes? just beer? c'mon you boozehounds. did everyone change their surname to Bukowski?

for the record, the wife did some slow-braised short ribs last night which were great.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
My wife makes a really good channa masala (curried chick peas). The trick is the spices. Paprika,salt, cinnamon, cloves, corriander and cumin. You can also do it with garlic (mash it up with the other spices using a mortar and pestle). Mix the spices with some shredded coconut and cook with onions, tomatoes, and chick peas until things get soft.

Same mix works great with dal (red lentils). Serve with Basmati rice. Really easy, really good.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Wife put together chicken-fried steak with chipotle gravy a couple nights ago......... :thumb:

-S.S.-

Edit: Oh, and three nights ago I got Rioja Chicken - leg quarters roasted in a marinade of prunes, olives, and other assorted goodies. That marinade made some KILLER gravy. :drool: Nice bottle of Spanish red to go with.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
rigidhack said:
My wife makes a really good channa masala (curried chick peas). The trick is the spices. Paprika,salt, cinnamon, cloves, corriander and cumin. You can also do it with garlic (mash it up with the other spices using a mortar and pestle). Mix the spices with some shredded coconut and cook with onions, tomatoes, and chick peas until things get soft.

Same mix works great with dal (red lentils). Serve with Basmati rice. Really easy, really good.
that sounds really good. care to post the recipe?

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
narlus said:
that sounds really good. care to post the recipe?
Believe it or not, I kinda did. It's that easy.
The spices go something like:
1tsp each of paprika, salt, cumin seeds and corriander seeds.
1 cinnamon stick (1-1.5")
6 cloves
6 cardamom pods. (I think I forgot to mention that before)
As many cloves of garlic as you like (none to 6 has worked well for me).
1 cup shredded coconut

Works best to put some oil in a frying pan, heat the oil, then add the cumin until it browns a bit. Then add the onions (1 or 2, chopped). Once they soften, add the rest of the spices (which you have now ground up into a reddish brown mush). Let that go for a few minutes, then add the chick peas or lentils and the tomatoes (chop ~2 or 3). Cook on low, stirring occasionally for about 20 min. (Which is about how much time the rice takes.)

Thats it. It takes a time or two to get it right, but it sure is good. :drool:

I've got a few more that we picked up while living in Australia if you are interested. (For what its worth, the spices you get there are about 3 years fresher than anything we get here. This recipie gets MUCH more potent with fresh spices.)

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Snacks said:
Last night I had a bowl of mini wheats and a banana. Tonight it'll probably toast with pb and jelly on it.
imo, there's little more satiating than a good pb n j when on a mountain bike ride. for a while, i used to toast bread, pb, and a sliced banana for breakfast. it was good, but too damn heavy for the morning.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Oh yeah, I'll probably make some tortilla soup over the next few days. It's a great recipe--it's filling and I can make enough to last for a week's worth of lunch.

I've been meaning to make banana bread, but I keep eating them before they go "bad."

www.epicurious.com is my favorite recipe website.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I love PB&B (Peanut butter and banana), especially with a little honey. And I make a mean carbonara, I have won over more than one heart with my version. I love calling it "pasta with bacon and eggs" just to get the reaction. The key (for me) is just a touch of 1/2 and 1/2 mixed into the eggs, it helps prevent them from scrambling and adds a little creaminess. Oh damn it's good, I think I need to make some tonight...

It's hard to post recipes since lately I've been eating simple - roasted/seared/grilled fish or meat, simple green salads, fresh breads, the kind of thing I can put together quickly.

One thing I did recently that was surprisingly good was a batch of pistachio-parsley "pesto" with garlic and lemon zest, wow what an awesome accompaniment to grilled salmon and roasted potatoes. I've used regular pesto with fish before but the lemon and parsley worked really well...as did the Sancerre we drank with it...man I'm getting hungry...