Quantcast

does Pisgah mean 'pissing rain'?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
this was the big 'turning 40' trip for me and 4 of my friends (one of which is 42, but we can overlook matters...he also was the only one riding a hardtail and stomped us on the climbs). some of you may recall this thread when i was looking for ideas for a 3 day roadtrip, and we settled on Pisgah, since 5 of the 6 were on the east coast and we could get direct flights into Charlotte (one ended up dropping out, so it was just the 5 of us). after the obligatory stop for lunch, we drove west, encountering a torrential downpour along the way. even though by the time we got to our rental house it was clear and sunny, the omen was (or should have been) clear. however, this was our view from the deck:

after a quick bite to eat in Asheville (beer was great, food was so so), we formulated our plan of attack for day 1.

great singletrack climb that went for about 4-5 miles before a very steep and tech hike-a-bike section was encountered.

at this point, the thunderclaps were coming in loud, fast, hard, and often. we hunkered down, not sure whether the top of the climb was exposed, hoping that the storm would blow over. after at least 30 min, we decided to soldier on, w/ no change in the weather. at the top, we found some flowers which matched larry's custom 29" IF:

the crew was ready for the descent:

at this point, the skies absolutely opened up, like god's waterbed got knifed. crackles of thunder and flashes of lightning were going off like car alarms in the ghetto, so we hopped on the bikes and made a conscious decision that crashing on the wet, rocky/rooty and treacherous track of Pilot Rock was safer than getting 40 kA of electricity in our collective butts, so we took off, despite the immense of difficulty of seeing through sheets of rain and mud/dirt from the front tire, on a technical trail none of us had been on. it made for quite an exhilirating ride, aside from the arm pump.

after a few sphincter-clenching rock gardens and diagonal root crossings, mike, erik and i waited at a trail intersection for larry and rich to catch up. 20 minutes later, in rain that i'm hard pressed in my life to recall being any harder (the record setting rain we got at my house 5 weeks ago was about the same)...the trail was a brown river and we called on the 2 way radio to make sure that both larry and rich were safe. just a flat tire. whew.

after regrouping, the rain subsided, we travelled in the remaining 1000 ft to the fire road, and decided to scratch plans for the slate rock loop option. we'd had enough. end of day 1...<more later>

edit: here's a map from the www.mtbikewnc.com site of the ride we did:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
we didn't see BioWheels...went to Carolina Fatz (where everything was 'carnage' and 'super-g'), as well as sycamore (very cool shop).

i'll send a zip file yr way.

i take it yr bike is still in the ether?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well western Nc i s a temperate rain forest......as for mud, rock gardens and diagonal roots and arm pumping decents....thats pretty much the jist of it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stevew said:
How was the food?

For some reason I can't bring myself to set foot in one of their establishments.
the food was pretty bad, and we got the fat waitress. NASCAR and fishing were on the TV...should have held out for a McD's...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yeah, he didn't get shot in the throat. the v-brakes didn't work so well w/ the wet descents though...i'll get a write up of day 2/3 later on...time for bed.

that really sucks about the bike. i take it reen's got home OK?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
flame azaleas are those flowers.

as for Jack off the Hood, shoulda axed somebody before you went there to eat.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Man, I had nearly the exact same ride a few years ago. Torrential, freakin' downpour with the trail looking like a creek. Ahhh, good times.

So who owns Sycamore these days? Wes, Chris, somebody else?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
not sure who owns sycamore but we talked w/ a dude w/ dark hair. really nice guy.

there was one freaky scary rock garden on the pilot rock descent where i thought injury was imminent...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
DNA said:
Man, I had nearly the exact same ride a few years ago. Torrential, freakin' downpour with the trail looking like a creek. Ahhh, good times.

So who owns Sycamore these days? Wes, Chris, somebody else?
Keith owns Sycamore, but Wes runs it now for the most part.

Narlus, that is my local shop.
PM me if you need any ride details or have any questions.
It has been bone dusty dry here until this weekend.:mumble:

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
I can't count the times I've been run off that trail by torrential downpours and lightning. Actually I was driving through paintball sized hail friday afternoon on FS1206 where pilot rock comes out. It sucked, camping was ruined as was all pisgah riding for the weekend. It happens, the weather is wet and unpredictable in these parts. Hope you still had fun, Pilot Rock is actually one of the best trails you can ride when its pissing rain, the other ones have about half as much rock and 5 times as many roots, making for a potentially painful and slippery descent.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
T-Pirate said:
Actually I was driving through paintball sized hail friday afternoon on FS1206 where pilot rock comes out. It sucked, camping was ruined as was all pisgah riding for the weekend.
all weekend? ;)

we rode friday, saturday, and sunday... :)

despite what was dropping out of the sky. day 2/3 reports should be done in a day or so.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
narlus said:
all weekend? ;)

we rode friday, saturday, and sunday... :)

despite what was dropping out of the sky. day 2/3 reports should be done in a day or so.

Really? I didn't want to drive up and risk damage to the trails after what I saw friday. I was basically driving through rivers on FS 478 by our campsite. Once all our gear got soaked, the campsite struck by lighting, and we lost my dog, we decided to call it quits and head back to greenville. Luckily we found the dog and nobody was hurt, but I need to go back and clean up our campsite because we evacuated and left some stuff I think. Being only an hour away, I can postpone riding until next weekend, but in your position, I would've ridden all weekend in the rain too.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
did you leave a soggy pillow at a campsite right near the stables? :D we saw that and other crap when we washed off our bikes after the clawhammer/avery creek ride.

yeah, we really had no choice but to make the best of it; luckily it never rained as we were unloading and starting the ride. once you are in a ride, getting soaked isn't as bad for some reason.