Quantcast

Does this dropper post make me look fat? AKA - Which droppers don't suck?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
But there's no way your thumb is going to, nor would you want it to stick in one place. The lever moves into and away from your thumb. I'd never given a thought using a smooth south paw for years. Then I got a wolftooth one and it makes it harder to swing the lever to where it needs to go. Because it wants to stick.
this is a serious question - how big are your hands? it's something i could see being an issue from an ergonomic standpoint if yours paws are on the smaller end of the spectrum. personally i have never had the problem. the e13 remote has griptape on it and i like it.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I love my KS post and wanted one for the hardtail I'm building up, but couldn't pass on the BrandX one for $99. If it goes to shit, I'll buy the KS again.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
OK dropper experts. Which dropper has maximum extension while needing minimum insertion? I'm sure there is a good sex joke here but I'm to lazy to figure it out.

The E13 Taint Slapper that came stock on my Capra is only 130mm drop but still won't fit all the way in the frame. The insertion length is listed as 234mm.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
this is a serious question - how big are your hands? it's something i could see being an issue from an ergonomic standpoint if yours paws are on the smaller end of the spectrum. personally i have never had the problem. the e13 remote has griptape on it and i like it.
It doesn't matter. There may be a better handsize/particular lever that reduces the effect but the paddle swings into and away from your hand/finger. The longer the throw on the cable pull or lever the worse it's going to be.

If anything, the distance from your hand makes a bigger difference and may be why I'm griping about it. I've been stabbed in the thumb pretty badly crashing into a shifter lever years ago, so I mount my levers so that I'm just catching the end of them. That no doubt exaggerates it but a smooth lever is gooder for it.

I'd probably rate this a 2 out of 10 for 'biggest problems with bikes these days'. I was just in a bitchy mood and it looks like the etching on my wolf tooth lever could have dropped 10 bucks without it.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
OK dropper experts. Which dropper has maximum extension while needing minimum insertion? I'm sure there is a good sex joke here but I'm to lazy to figure it out.

The E13 Taint Slapper that came stock on my Capra is only 130mm drop but still won't fit all the way in the frame. The insertion length is listed as 234mm.
eh?

What size Capra? Mine (Medium 2017 Capra CF) has a 170mm Reverb in it. it'll insert all the way to the collar if I want to. I did remove the connectamajig but I didn't have to. collar to base = 240mm. connectamajig needs 75mm more but doesn't need the seattube to continue straight (if you need more room the ordinary connector is a little shorter.

in answer to your other question. I have a 250mm KS drop dropper on I use on my 4X hardtail. Is this the longest drop available? it's certainly the longest I could find. It's under saddle lever operated so inserts deeper than a stealth post will but being 645mm long won't quite insert fully in the Capra.
This isn't a true trail dropper though. It's just for convenience. I still run a normal non dropper on this bike if racing, purely jumping or riding pump tracks. Occasionally i'll ride 20miles on it with a pumptrack half way. it's great for that.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Just like grips. There's never going to be a dropper remote that will please everyone all of the time.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
What size Capra? Mine (Medium 2017 Capra CF) has a 170mm Reverb in it. it'll insert all the way to the collar if I want to. I did remove the connectamajig but I didn't have to. collar to base = 240mm. connectamajig needs 75mm more but doesn't need the seattube to continue straight (if you need more room the ordinary connector is a little shorter.
It's a large and seems to have a nice long straight seat tube so I was pretty confused by this issue. Maybe I need to pull it apart and see if it's just the cable getting jammed somewhere or some similar bull shit.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California

This article has a bunch of useful collar to base and collar to rail measurements - https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Vital-MTB-Face-Off-The-Best-Dropper-Posts,1762

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It doesn't matter. There may be a better handsize/particular lever that reduces the effect but the paddle swings into and away from your hand/finger. The longer the throw on the cable pull or lever the worse it's going to be.

If anything, the distance from your hand makes a bigger difference and may be why I'm griping about it. I've been stabbed in the thumb pretty badly crashing into a shifter lever years ago, so I mount my levers so that I'm just catching the end of them. That no doubt exaggerates it but a smooth lever is gooder for it.

I'd probably rate this a 2 out of 10 for 'biggest problems with bikes these days'. I was just in a bitchy mood and it looks like the etching on my wolf tooth lever could have dropped 10 bucks without it.
You riding gloveless, or with gloves?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
It's a large and seems to have a nice long straight seat tube so I was pretty confused by this issue. Maybe I need to pull it apart and see if it's just the cable getting jammed somewhere or some similar bull shit.
Yeah. Pull the cable through the front cable exit while you insert the post. you shouldn't need to remove anything.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
How cold is it?

either or
Alrighty. I was just curious because I've got a couple of the Wolftooth ones, and it's never bothered me. Just don't particularly care either way. I do pretty much exclusively ride with gloves, I was wondering if the little bit of slip between the glove and my thumb was making that effect less annoying.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i’m still confused as to why people think it’s so goddammed hard to press the button on the original rs remote. but then again, i’m the dullard riding a 650b26 nomad so what do i know?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
i’m still confused as to why people think it’s so goddammed hard to press the button on the original rs remote. but then again, i’m the dullard riding a 650b26 nomad so what do i know?
I always hated the original Reverb remote because you've go to unwrap your thumb from under the bar to press it - just what I want when bouncing down the trail. The other crap thing about the Reverb remote is that its attached to a Reverb post....

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I always hated the original Reverb remote because you've go to unwrap your thumb from under the bar to press it - just what I want when bouncing down the trail. The other crap thing about the Reverb remote is that its attached to a Reverb post....
i don’t understand...you don’t have to reach over to hit the trigger too? it’s either reach up a bit or down a bit...i guess the trigger has a bit bigger surface area...but i’ve never considered my dropper a life or death option, and usually i know the terrain well enough to know when i need it more than a second or two in advance

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
and usually i know the terrain well enough to know when i need it more than a second or two in advance
Well look at me Mr I'm-More-Coordinated-Than-A-Sedated-Hippo....

Some of us are panic fumbling to get the seat out of the way because we didn't realise the line got more rowdy than expected....

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I use a right-hand OG Reverb remote under the left side of my handlebar, without a front shifter. Never had to "unwrap" my thumb farther than I'd had to if using a trigger style remote.
Yep, thats what most of the local Reverb guys here do. The new paddle thingy is pretty much how they should come IMO - at least until the post gets so mushy that you just have to sit on it to drop it anyway.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Besides not moving in an arc which feels more natural, it just feels like mush. You can't feel the release point and it had zero modulation as a result. If all you're doing is mashing it for full drop/full up, then it probably doesn't matter, but if you try to hit any midpoint drop, feeling the release point kinda helps.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
i’m still confused as to why people think it’s so goddammed hard to press the button on the original rs remote.
It isn't difficult to use in the slightest. Infact no dropper remote is anymore difficult to use than a rear shifter is.

I have 6 droppers with 4 different types of lever/remote. 10 bikes with 8 different shifters; SRAM & Shimano; 11spd, 10spd, 9spd, 8spd, 7spd and 5spd and road STi (two are SS) . 8 different style/brand/model of brake and also ride random bikes while at work (including motorcycles) have never been confused or troubled using any of the controls while riding any of the bikes.
It's a first world problem. If it were a real issue these people probably struggle to lock their front door and travel to work each day or feed themselves.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Alrighty. I was just curious because I've got a couple of the Wolftooth ones, and it's never bothered me. Just don't particularly care either way. I do pretty much exclusively ride with gloves, I was wondering if the little bit of slip between the glove and my thumb was making that effect less annoying.

Imma turtle wax my thumb.

Report back later........

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yer bum's oot the windae ye fuckin' bampot!!

Didn't you have 8 bikes last week?
Nope. Now you've made me think about it I actually had 10 last week. Stalking a pisshead with memory problems isn't a task for beginners :clue:

1 Race BMX
1 roadbike
26"
1 DH bike
1 170mm Derp bike
1 slope/dj short travel bike
1 4X hardtail
1 Dirt jump bike
1 winter XC bike
650b
1 120mm hardtail (resides in Spain)
1 120mm hardtail (work bike)

I built a new DH bike a couple of days ago so I actually have 11 this week :blink:
Ok. Ok... 12 if you count the hybrid road thing with full mudguards that's sat outside my front door all winter unlocked, unloved and unridden.

and for future reference the saying I grew up hearing was "yer erse is oot the windae". Ma Nana used tae say it tae ayes aw the time.
;)

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Nope. Now you've made me think about it I actually had 10 last week. Stalking a pisshead with memory problems isn't a task for beginners :clue:

1 Race BMX
1 roadbike
26"
1 DH bike
1 170mm Derp bike
1 slope/dj short travel bike
1 4X hardtail
1 Dirt jump bike
1 winter XC bike
650b
1 120mm hardtail (resides in Spain)
1 120mm hardtail (work bike)

I built a new DH bike a couple of days ago so I actually have 11 this week :blink:
Ok. Ok... 12 if you count the hybrid road thing with full mudguards that's sat outside my front door all winter unlocked, unloved and unridden.

and for future reference the saying I grew up hearing was "yer erse is oot the windae". Ma Nana used tae say it tae ayes aw the time.
;)
All I'm reading here is "I have an amazing spare parts bin".

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
"Yer erse is oot the windae" comes from the ridiculous positions women would have to get into to clean the glass on the outside of their tenement flat windows. a tenement is basically an appartment block. The saying does indeed mean. You're talking nonsense.
there are loads of scots sayings along those lines. My favourite is/was "Yer piece landit jeelly side up"
it simply means you're lucky. and comes from those same women throwing a jam sandwich down from those tenement building windows and invariably the recipient failed to catch it. if it landed jam side up you were lucky. ;)

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
All I'm reading here is "I have an amazing spare parts bin".
Ha ha... All of those bikes I listed are kept in full working condition with nothing worn out and I ride most pretty regularly.
I do have a whole host of 'spare' parts lying around too. including probably 10+ forks (from MonsterTs to '17 Pikes to rigid), a few frames. 20+ (26")wheels, rims and even more tyres, cranks, bars, stems, saddles, pedals seatposts, brakes and all manner of drive parts.