Quantcast

Does this make any sense?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Today i did a LT heartrate test since it's the end of a rest week i tested my self 2 months ago and i did as Friel tells. I had an LT of 84% of my max but now after i did everything the same my LT is 88% now. What gives? I haven't been doing LT training just base 1 and prep stuff

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by JMAC
Today i did a LT heartrate test since it's the end of a rest week i tested my self 2 months ago and i did as Friel tells. I had an LT of 84% of my max but now after i did everything the same my LT is 88% now. What gives? I haven't been doing LT training just base 1 and prep stuff
what exactly where all of the #'s? as far as your percentages. that isn't a HUGE change. from the time i tested during last winter and this past summer my LT dropped 15 bmp. see this is the main problem w/ hrt training. there are many many variables that can affect your heart rate. it will only be by a few beats but in the long run it's going to effect testing like this. this is the main reason why i preach so much about wattage training. your power will change of course as you ride more and get stronger or the direct opposite.......depending on which one you use and what program you use for your comp you can take all the information from the rides and input them into your comp. being able to look at the graphs is damn cool. you can see how much power you were putting out as well as your cadence, and heart rate. the graphs can get down to like 10 second intervals, it's really cool, but expensive for all the tools to use it. a set of SRM cranks can easily run you 1800 for the lowest priced set, i think the power tab hubs are still running somewhere along the lines of 700-800(?), and the power unit that you can buy for the polar S-710. the SRM are the most accurate, and aren't that heavy, well compared to the set of regular cranks. the power tab hubs are decently heavy but it's well worth the weight IMO. now don't get me wrong HRT training will get the job done, espically now for you, but if you can save up the money somewhere down the road to get a set of SRM's it's WELL worth it. however this does not mean take out a big loan from your parents to get it. it's not worth that much to you right now. :D

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
**** there's no way i'm loaning more money for stuff like that i've spent a **** load already. I really don't think i need that now i'm not nearly a pro yet like your **** load better than and sponsered and will likely be pro but i'm still racing cadet next year i'm not even doing junoir till the year after that. I can image my self spending 1800 on another little thing like that but not yet.

Does it make sense for my LT to get better during Base training?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
**** there's no way i'm loaning more money for stuff like that i've spent a **** load already. I really don't think i need that now i'm not nearly a pro yet like your **** load better than and sponsered and will likely be pro but i'm still racing cadet next year i'm not even doing junoir till the year after that. I can image my self spending 1800 on another little thing like that but not yet.

Does it make sense for my LT to get better during Base training?
:eek: watch your language young man!!! you are in the presence of elders EHEHHE lol you know i'm just kidding and i said i don't expect you get that i'm just TELLING you and informing you of better methods. and yes i have sponsors, still don't have the $$$ to get those bad boys, they don't sponsor ANYONE and NO one gets a discount on em. not even lance, treck had to buy em for him and the rest of the postal squad.and i don't know the likely hood of me being pro...we'll see though ;)

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
oh and yes it does make sense for your LT to get better during base. any time you train like that or just train properly at all you are going to get in better shape then you were. happens a lot quicker then you may think it will.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Thats cool i thought i'd be losing LT when doing base stuff i thought you had to be doing workouts that are near LT do get a better LT.
Thanks again Indieboy :D

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Thats cool i thought i'd be losing LT when doing base stuff i thought you had to be doing workouts that are near LT do get a better LT.
Thanks again Indieboy :D
naw base works outs at times my seem boring nad point less but you don't need to work at or near your LT to lower it...

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Now that i started the base 2 they have this workout called M1 and it's says to ride for 20-60min without rest in heartrate zone 3 which is something like 158-166 for me.
Once i can ride for 60min at that heart rate do i just do 60min for the day and thats it?
Or do i do like 60min than 10min rest than do like 30min in zone 3.
Indieboy please explain

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Now that i started the base 2 they have this workout called M1 and it's says to ride for 20-60min without rest in heartrate zone 3 which is something like 158-166 for me.
Once i can ride for 60min at that heart rate do i just do 60min for the day and thats it?
Or do i do like 60min than 10min rest than do like 30min in zone 3.
Indieboy please explain
well from the description you are giving me it looks like just the work out in the zone 3 is that specified period of time. generally if i do something like that i like to get my legs warmed up a bit maybe like 15 minutes in your zone 1 just spinning to get the blood flowing, then go into the work out. do this.... warm up for 15 minutes, then do 30 at zone 3, then cool off. normally if i do something like that i don't like to ride for that small amount of time so i might ride for a little while longer after i cool off just keeping at a low level. but keep doing the work out building your amount of time you are able to stay in zone 3.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ok i think i can already do about an hour in zone 3 it's supposed to be intesive endurance so i figure do it as long as possible right.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Ok i think i can already do about an hour in zone 3 it's supposed to be intesive endurance so i figure do it as long as possible right.
well don't think you can do it go out and do it....it's a lot tougher said then done. try n keep a spin going though w/ that gearing don't push huge gears.....but no i wouldn't do anymore then what is recommended for that workout. there are reasons why they say to do that type of work out for X amount of time.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well they don't say to stop and they don't say to keep going they just say do 20-60min with no rest in heartrate zone 3.
Also i think you told me this but how many hours do you think i should do not what i can do. I train now 10-12 hours a week is this to much for somebody who is in his first year of training?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Well they don't say to stop and they don't say to keep going they just say do 20-60min with no rest in heartrate zone 3.
Also i think you told me this but how many hours do you think i should do not what i can do. I train now 10-12 hours a week is this to much for somebody who is in his first year of training?
um i'd say 13 hours for you at the MAX. you probably should seriously only be averaging probably about 9 hours for the year. 10-12 doesn't sound to bad as long as you are doing your base properly....

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Ok I have been keeping up with this thread and now wanna know where I can find some info. I don't have a lot of money for a book at this point, is there somewhere online with good details on this training technique?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by Roasted
Ok I have been keeping up with this thread and now wanna know where I can find some info. I don't have a lot of money for a book at this point, is there somewhere online with good details on this training technique?
Umm Indieboy:D

But seriuously i don't know the book isn't expensive but basically the friels training plan has a prep phase which is when you just do some light weights and do endurance stuff just to get ready for training it lasts 3-8 weeks

Base 1 is when you work more in endurance stuff and continue weights also 3 weeks and the 4th week is rest

Base 2 the same but continue to increase endurance rides and work less reps with weights to build strenght you also do some some shorter but more intense workouts

Base 3 i'm not there yet but preety much the same except you work alot more on spped skills and power.

Build 1-2 are for getting ready for racing more lactic threshold stuff i think

Peak is when you peak for a race

I think the book is worth the money it's called The Mountain Bikers Bible by Joe Freil

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by indieboy
um i'd say 13 hours for you at the MAX. you probably should seriously only be averaging probably about 9 hours for the year. 10-12 doesn't sound to bad as long as you are doing your base properly....
Thanks i think i'm going to cut back my training a little cause my friggin knee is pissing me off it's from over use the pettela tendon is swallen it doesn't bother me much when i'm doing endurance rides but when ever i'm pushing harder gears it hurts.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I am not even looking to race but I am always interested in training techniques. Thank you for the info I will be grabbing the book asap. Cheers.