Quantcast

Done gone and done it......

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Buddy of mine that owns a bike shop ordered in a ton of Monocog 29er's and sold them all at the beginning of the year. Well sold them all but one that happened to be a large (my size). He knows i rode ss excluslively for two years but have never ridden a 29er. So he gave me the buddy at cost hook up :cheers: . Goin to give er a go tomorrow. I havent been on a mtb in i don't know when let a lone a ss. Anywho, when i ss'd years ago i ran 32x16, of course that was on a 26 inch. What is the best gearing for a 29er? Goin to try the full rigid for a bit but have a Reba fork for it already :biggrin:

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
You'll love it!

gear wise, a 32x20 on a 29er will feel about the same as 32x16 on a 26er

Congrats!

RJ

LongviewTx

Chimp
Dec 30, 2006
Longview, Texas
32x18 or 32x19, the 18 is ~ equivalent to the 16T on 26". The real answer depends on the terrain you will primarily traverse. I ride 18T cog on hilly routes. The steep stuff can be hard if you can't maintain momentum into the climb. Best workouts I could ask for though. And my strength and conditioning have improved to the point now that a 19T would wind-out too easy on flatter terrain.

All in all, I love the SS part and the 29" part is great for my 6'4" carcus. Thus, this is both my fountain of youth and time machine back to being a kid for an hour or so per day. Hope you enjoy your new stead. Give yourself a few weeks to totally acclimate.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
cool beans! those are fun bikes, i MADE your shop get one.
sold it in a week and ordered 2 more.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
32x18 or 32x19, the 18 is ~ equivalent to the 16T on 26". The real answer depends on the terrain you will primarily traverse. I ride 18T cog on hilly routes. The steep stuff can be hard if you can't maintain momentum into the climb. Best workouts I could ask for though. And my strength and conditioning have improved to the point now that a 19T would wind-out too easy on flatter terrain.

All in all, I love the SS part and the 29" part is great for my 6'4" carcus. Thus, this is both my fountain of youth and time machine back to being a kid for an hour or so per day. Hope you enjoy your new stead. Give yourself a few weeks to totally acclimate.
good first post.

how did you find the RM forums?

alex near amarillo

LongviewTx

Chimp
Dec 30, 2006
Longview, Texas
good first post.

how did you find the RM forums?

alex near amarillo
You know, I think I googled "29er". I bought the GF Rig and I wanted to read about them (29ers), look at pics, etc. I needed a replacement for my previous addiction, "VWVortex". Anyway, I read this forum predominately. But, by now I have some experience riding my 29er SS.

BTW, I did my first ride on my new Felt Nine Pro today. But, I kept it in either a 32 x 18 or 19 (not sure what the cog is) gear to mimic my Rig rides. The Felt is really well thought out and manufactured, as well as smooth as budda. Seems to have very little friction in the system all though it is a bit heavier and no BB noise unlike mi Rig. FWIW.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
I dug it Mark. The bein rigid wasnt that bad but my buddy gave me a Reba 29er and some avid mechanical discs for it which i installed last night. I rode a 1fg for two years and really liked it but based upon first impressions i have to say i really like how the 29 inch wheels seem to just roll over stuff rather than getting hung up or killin your mo'.