Quantcast

Don't Click...it's gross

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
I warned you but I do have a question.

On today's DH ride, me and a buddy took some serious diggers. He alone took several traumatizing spills while I was very very fortunate to have been wearing my fullface helmet and just receiving a few gashes on my chin (plus a kicked in chest/sternum area)...
My question is, if a fellow rider ended up with an injury as bad as shown in the picture out on the trail, what are the steps to take? I'm not a medic by nature so I just want to be prepared....

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

Jeezus, that looks like it hurt like hell!

I am not a medical professional - merely someone who has been trained in first-aid.

First action - stay calm - both of you. Panicking will not help the situation and if the injured party is calm, then

Priority one - stop the bleeding. Direct compression with a clean cloth is best. Once the bleeding has lessened, tie a constricting band an inch above and below the wound. A constricting band is one that cuts of veinous bloodflow but not arterial - this can be best defined as tight, but not so tight that you cannot get two fingers under it. DO NOT TIE THE BANDS SO TIGHT THAT THEY CUT OFF ALL BLOOD FLOW! This is a tournaquet and is designed to save the life of someone who will bleed to death! Everything below the tournaquet will most likely be amputated! This is good if someone loses a limb - not for a cut or abrasion like this!

Make the injured party lie down, make him comfortable. Raise the wounded area above the heart. If you are not close enough to civilisation that you cannot safely transport him out, cover him with whatever you have to keep him warm (helps avoid the onset of shock) and FIND SOMEONE who can contact an ambulance. Do not leave your buddy alone unless you have NO OTHER CHOICE.

I think that we have some medically qualified folks here on the Monkey (El Jefe comes to mind) who may have a different treatment method.

Bottom line - stop the bleeding, seek professional help immediately.

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
like Ranger said, be calm especially if your the one helping the injured. They will be worked up more often than not or in shock. You have to be the one who grounds them and the whole situation. I have seen people freak out when they try to deal with an ugly injury and it does not help the injured. ( in avalanche training, you have a couple minutes on average to save your friends life. that leaves NO time to panic)

all injurys are different and I guess first aid training is best thing you can do to learn how to handle different situations until you can get to professional help. Gash/cuts, head injurys, broken bones etc. all require specific care so its probably good to have basic first aid knowledge if your taking the risks. I know that I should know much more than I do considering the activities I enjoy doing.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
I'm not a medical professional, just been trained in first aid and bls.

step 1- stop bleeding. Direct pressure with the cleanest thing you can find. If that doesn't stop it, have the injured person elevate the wound above ther heart(probably best to have them lie down) if it's a serious injury, then you'll probably have to treat for shock. keep them at a neutral temperature, elevate their legs to keep blood in the trunk, give them small amounts of water to drink.
If the bleeding does not stop after you elevate it, apply a pressure bandage...tight but not too tight. Check circulation below the injured area (skin color, temp. moisture if its on the arm, press the nail down and see how long it takes to return to normal color...should be instantaneous.)
If the pressure bandage fails to stop the bleeding, use a pressure point. If it's a headwound, don't use the carotid...

The most important thing with any major injury is to get it treated by professionals as soon as possible. Calm and reassure the victim (yourself too if need be) and seek help.

BTW the pic almost looks more like a burn...

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Most important thing to rememeber is this!!! Stay calm and for gods sakes.............

GET SOME BEER!

It will sterlize the wound.......:p

Seriously, stopping the bleeding is crucial....

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
ooh,i forgot to add

once you put a dressing on(direct pressure, pressure bandage) don't remove it once it becomes blood soaked. leave it on and just apply more dressing.

severed body parts...place in some sort of protective layer, plastic bag is preferable, then place in another bag filled w/ ice. try to keep it dry...makes reattachment easier.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Hmmmm, the more DH injuries I read and hear about - the more attractive XC remains. That's an ouchie I want nothing to do with. :monkey:
same sentiments...especially with my nagging lil injuries...I may have to hang up the hat in the near future...

Luc, is she hot??? :devil:

thanks for the advise...lately, my riding buddies or me have been taking some nasty spills as we push our lil envelop...so it's an inevitability....

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Yep. That is a pic of Katie's (aka Flips on RM) injury. She did it at Whislter on A-line, on my old DHi. Once she was able to ride again, she rode it down a flight of stairs and the swing arm broke in 3 places.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Originally posted by MMike
Yep. That is a pic of Katie's (aka Flips on RM) injury. She did it at Whislter on A-line, on my old DHi. Once she was able to ride again, she rode it down a flight of stairs and the swing arm broke in 3 places.
hot damn...talk about luck eh...

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
i dunno...almost looks like its down to the subcutaneous, but theres not A LOT of fat, so i'd say deep dermis/shallow subcutaneous.

any real answers Orven?