Quantcast

Dooya think I'll need a chainguide? Singlespeed Bottlerocket...

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Well, I just picked up a Bottlerocket frame :monkeydance: and as an experiment I'm going to run it singlespeed using a Yess chain tensioner and my Bontrager big earl chankset. I'm not yet sure the BB spindle will be long enough to allow the use of the Transition chainguide so I may end up getting a new crankset anyway. But seeing as I'm running a FS bike SS with a spring loaded tensioner do you think a chainguide system will be necessary? I'm thinking it will be but I'm hoping not.

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
I think you can get away with just the tensioner, the BR has very little chain growth. and I have seen many people run their doubles single speed with just a tensioner. i would try it just with the tensioner then if that dosent work try running an inner bash. also make sure your chain line is spot on. good luck

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
I noticed in some photo Cedric Gracia is running a SS hardtail with a chainguide.
It wouldn't be a bad idea, just to insure no derailments in the front.Although a rear mini guide to sandwitch the rear cog would complament the front guide awesomely!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Put a single speed chain on there. Something with less side flex will definitely help.
:stupid:

SS chain and gears/cogs without shifting ramps.

Chainguide couldn't hurt in the rough stuff.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I noticed in some photo Cedric Gracia is running a SS hardtail with a chainguide.
It wouldn't be a bad idea, just to insure no derailments in the front.Although a rear mini guide to sandwitch the rear cog would complament the front guide awesomely!
Sure it's not just a bashguard? Seems totally unnecessary.

gackrider24

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
NJ
i don't think u will if its set up right. Transition offers the double in a single speed kit which does not include a chainguide. Email the boys at transition to be sure.

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
There is a big differnce between flowing on a double and riding agresive on a BR. I would run a guide with a tensioner. Lose you chain at the wrong time, you just got owned.

And as for the guide on a SS hardtail, the old MRP type guides can be spun up around the back of the crank to act like a tensioner to compasate for the vertical drop outs. Its ghetto fabrication now, but I think it used to be standard practice. But don't quote me.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
LOL, I guess I'm stealing his color scheme to some extent. Mine is raw too and I'm going to be putting some polished and gold parts on it. Here's that pic with the correct address too. Thanks man! That's exactly what I was looking for!