Quantcast

Double Barrel DU bush size

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So apparently the shaft end of a Double Barrel shock uses a DU bush larger than the 1/2" usually used by Fox etc. Anyone any idea what size it is? Is it possible that this size of DU bush is common in other applications? Do motor bikes/ATVs use DU bushes in shocks that might be this size?

And no, my particular DB doesn't have the spherical bearing setup.

Edit: And yes, Malcom at Cane Creek is one of the most helpful people in cycling, but I doubt he'll get to his email before Monday, hence my asking here.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The ID should be 1/2" and be compatible with other standard hardware, but I think the DU bushing OD's were larger than a Fox/Marz/Progressive DU.

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The ID should be 1/2" and be compatible with other standard hardware, but I think the DU bushing OD's were larger than a Fox/Marz/Progressive DU.
Correct. I need to know how to spec one of these bad boys so that I might go hunting for one tomorrow. I'm used to spec'ing DU bushes by the ID, which as you say seems to be standard.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Correct. I need to know how to spec one of these bad boys so that I might go hunting for one tomorrow. I'm used to spec'ing DU bushes by the ID, which as you say seems to be standard.
I ran into that issue a little while ago. They started using Norglide DU bushings, which as you have found out, are larger. Not sure on the exact OD of it since I don't have any sitting around that aren't in a shock.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
DU Bushing OD is 15.9mm
DU Bushing ID is 12.7mm

The regular DU bushings actually last longer in my experience, whereas the norglide ones (while having a little less stiction) are a little fast to wear out, especially on higher-rotation shock pivots.

Also for interest's sake, the norglide bushings are actually a smaller OD bushing that is fitted into a 15.9mm OD sleeve, which is then pressed into the shock eye. And before you ask, no the ID of this sleeve is not the same size as the OD of a standard fox DU bushing.

Hope that information is useful to you.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I've been getting better wear from the Norglides. As for diameter, doesn't the diameter change with the year of the shock? I though the earlier shocks had smaller ones.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I burnt through mine quick smart after not very long riding in the alps. Like I said, it depends on the amount of rotation in the shock pivots, but my experience was that they had slightly less stiction (not as tight a fit) but wore fairly quickly. YMMV I guess.

Also, I assumed big-ted was referring to the newer DB's, but I *think* the early generation ones (pre gold body perhaps) may have used the standard fox-size DU bushings. Open to correction there though as I haven't owned one. I do know there are only two different sizes though, and it has been the 15.9mm (figure malcolm gave me) for a while now.

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, couldn't comment on the older DBs as my previous one had the spherical bearings.

Re: wear, I got an entire season (~20 Whistler days, lots of muddy shore rides etc) out of this one, which seems reasonable, but holy cow did it do a number on the aluminium hardware. Time to put in a steel pin methinks!

Thanks for the info Udi.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Looking at a shock with spherical bearings. Can anyone point me towards which bushings I would need to replace, and where I can get them? Bike runs 52 and 34mm.