Quantcast

Double vs triple...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Is there really a noticable performance difference between double front rings vs triple?? I have a triple and have not used my small ring for three rides now. Granted, my longest road ride has been about 40 miles, but I have not needed the small ring at all and there a few fairly strenuous climbs on our routes. I'm not sure if I should consider getting a double, or keep the triple for a while until I become a more seasoned roadie.

splat

Nam I am
As much as I don't believe you need a triple on a road bike. Since you already have it there , you might as well leave it there. and if you do decide to just go with a double. you don't need to replace the crank. just remove the little chain ring, an set the end stops on the derailer.

on the plus side of not having the little chainring , would mean you could put a short cage deraileur on the back , which would in turn make for better shifting.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have a triple and would get another road bike with it. I road ride primarily for MTB training and like to hit long steep climbs. Having a wide range of gearing best replicates what I have to do on the MTB. Then again I am thinking about putting slicks on my MTB and using it for my road bike, My Litespeed hardtail is actually much lighter than my POS road bike.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I am running a Dual setup on my MTB w/slicks.

Though I am running 22/34 :D and an Evil Bash ring. lol.

Is it the "look" that would make you not want the small ring? Does it slow you down much at all? I don't know. I am not a road rider in the loosest sense.

I did drop down to the small ring for some long steep road climbs on my MTB, but I am fat and have no lungs. :) If I were to get a road bike I would get a triple....cuz I still need it. Normally for moderate to easy climbs I stay inmy middle ring....though I am using my bail out gear in the rear if the going gets tough.

Don't switch if the crankset does everything you want it to....but has the capacity for a little more.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Short cages are crisper.. but I recommend if u even think you'll ever need one. Get it. Once you get tons of rides under your belt you can take off the ring like everyone else said. But that's after tons of rides. Always better to have it then not. :D