Quantcast

Downhill AND beer related

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
That label is terrible. Never even heard of the beer...

EDIT: Canadian IPA? Who knew such a thing existed?

Last edited:

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Canadian IPA? I think Northwest IPA is the technical term if you're into beer wankery. If you like seriously hoppy IPA's you'll probably like it, it's been on the shelves quite a while now.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I once got an "ipa" in whistler that was about the consistency of bud light. somehow I can't remember its name.
I had the same experience, except I then went on tirade about bland, boring canadian beer and offended the folks next to us on the patio.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Canadian IPA? I think Northwest IPA is the technical term if you're into beer wankery. If you like seriously hoppy IPA's you'll probably like it, it's been on the shelves quite a while now.
I wasn't commenting on the style, rather I am just surprised to see an IPA from a Canadian brewery is all, because this:

I once got an "ipa" in whistler that was about the consistency of bud light. somehow I can't remember its name.

That label is still terrible.

Last edited:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I had the same experience, except I then went on tirade about bland, boring canadian beer and offended the folks next to us on the patio.
the bc craft beer scene is going off; lots of great quality brew to be had of comparable quality to US counterparts. not much good beer on tap in whistler, alas; mostly populated by macros.

the switchback is a solid westcoast ipa, though, yes, the label does suck.

a couple great local (hop-forward) ipas:

-central city red racer (gary the brewmaster, a rad guy i might add, is an avid mountainbiker that lives on the shore).

-driftwood fat tug.

Last edited:

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
Haha, lots of Canadians think that americans only make light beer that tastes like piss.

The Canadian beer industry is not that different than in the states. If you stick with the generic beer (Canadian, Blue, Kokanee, etc...) you're not going to get anything too exciting. If you venture into the smaller breweries you can get some really good hoppy and flavorfull pale ales. The liquor stores here in Ontario are full of Pale ale options.

I'm a huge pale ale fan. Some of my favorites that we can get around here are: Paddock Wood 606, Great Lakes Brewing 666 Devil's Pale Ale and Crazy Canuck, St. Ambroise, Mill Street Tankhouse, Muskoka Mad Tom IPA and Double Mad Tom IPA...the list goes on.

I've never had the switchback but I'll keep an eye out for it. I love trying out new pale ales!

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that both of you had Alexander Keith's IPA. That's east cost IPA and much more in the vein of a traditional English IPA which is to say, it's pretty much pisswater that is in no way related to what the average North American would consider an IPA to be.

I was horrified the first time I drank it too.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I have 5 more in the fridge... I'll give it a second chance tomorrow after work.

Yeah all the standard Canadian beers are nothing special. I work with people that like Lucky beer! Completely gross.

I agree, you have to venture out to the smaller breweries. I can't wait until the summer: Granville Island 'Hefeweizen' with a slice of lemon in it. Oh yeah.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Am I the only one that likes the label? At least its not xc related or a picture of a frickin beach cruiser!

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Agreed, not a huge fan of this. What's with red ales anyway? Never really saw the charm in them.
Red ales can be good (esp. with rye and american yeast) when an amber doesn't really satisfy and you don't want to go to the brown/porter part of the spectrum. That said, I don't ever buy 6-packs of red ales...just get them every now and then at a bar.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that both of you had Alexander Keith's IPA. That's east cost IPA and much more in the vein of a traditional English IPA which is to say, it's pretty much pisswater that is in no way related to what the average North American would consider an IPA to be.

I was horrified the first time I drank it too.
keith's isn't really an ipa of any variation any more - though it used to be a pretty typical english ipa at it's inception (several decades ago). for whatever reason (probably profitability), hops were progressively cut back over the years, and percentages of malts were replaced by cheaper (less flavorful) fermentables (corn and/or rice), leaving the weak piss that it is today.