Quantcast

Downhill or Freeriding

mtnbiker7

Monkey
May 22, 2007
New Jersey
I just started riding about a month ago and want to devote most of my time to one thing, I already do some cross country trail riding and will stick with that but want to Freeride or Downhill, which of the 2 is more fun, just what do you think is better.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
You're gonna get hurt doing either. (but it's fun) I guess it depends on you, your skill level, pain tolerance and bike choice.

Have fun!

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
If you're into pedaling, then freeride.
If you're into hiking, then Downhill.

It's just like sex.., it's exciting before you do it, hella fun while you're doing it, and you feel exhausted after a good session. Just remember to always wear protection.

also depends on your location...if you are in a big mountain place...maybe downhill is the way to be. If you are out east like me with not much mountain, you have to get creative and freeride. Both are equally as fun! You should give them all a try.

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
in my opinion unless you're racing they're the same thing no days. Some people say freeriding is skinies and jumps and such, but the last race I did had all that in a downhill course. What I would do, is get out of your seat, shorten your steam, slack your head angle, fatten your tires and ride down and off anything you feel comfortable riding. This is what I did after years of XC and spandex. I even climb my DH bike, not fun, but I do it. In other words get out of definition and get into action. Peace and ride!

G-spot

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Chester,Va.
I would say get a freeride bike and you can downhill with it-easier then freeriding with a DH bike.I ride a Cove G-spot for both and enjoy them equally!!My bike is set up more for FR then DH, but I DH race with it.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
My only question is why choose? Most of the riding that I do is FR, but thats just because the trails nearest my house are FR trails. You can ride either style on the same bike if you choose right, so why limit yourself?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
A shorter travel (than downhill race bike) freeride bike would be good for you. I suggest something with 5-7". A freeride bike can do anything a downhill race bike can, just not as fast downhill. Using a downhill race bike for jumps, less than pure downhill trails, and some climbing won't be as fun. You'd have more fun on a freeride bike, and possibly even progress better.

How much do you want to spend?

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
A full-on DH bike is impractical for "most" places.(It depends where you are?) Unless your close to a big mountain with a lift or big "scene" with shuttling i wouldn't bother with DH dude.

If i lived at the base of Whistler-then i would get a DH bike probably;but ask an XC guy & he'll say a XC bike.
Lighter bike is always better.Versatility is better than being stuck with a single purpose bike like a DH sled & never get to use it.Or it's too much trouble or aggravating to go DH'ing.
A 5"x5" FR bike can rip it up.

micahb

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Washington
I would just concentrate on riding whatever is fun.

5-7 inches of travel is going to be plenty for anything you would consider doing. Anything more than that and you are probably already at the point where you draw a paycheck to show up or are at least advanced enough not to post in the newb forum.

miatagal96

Chimp
Feb 7, 2007
Do you have a bike yet?

I started downhilling (lift serv in the east) this year and bought a 7" Cannondale Gemini. I wanted something that could be pedalled, didn't break the bank and was under 40 lbs (39.8 on my scales).

I'm happy to have 7" as I can roll over drops bigger than I could on my x-c bike. I can also ride it x-c (I raise the saddle and put on clipless pedals). It's definitely more work, but it is fun for a change. I don't need more than 7" because I'm not very aggressive (yet).

More aggressive riders might like more travel for lift-serv trails. My boyfriend just broke his 6" bike frame and rented an 8" Yakuza Kumicho a couple of times. He's not a racer, but he's a pretty aggressive rider and he found that he was more stable, could ride and corner faster, and could jump bigger on the 8" bike. I didn't notice a heck of a big difference between the 7" and 8" bikes because I don't use the full extent of my 7" bike yet.

Good luck and don't blow your whole budget on a bike--you'll want some good body armor too. Mine has been worth every penny!!!

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
depends on the race scene in your area. its only dh if your racing, otherwise its freeride (speed varies). I just have a bike thats a ton o' fun all the time and a blast to race on.

Dec 3, 2004
San Jose, CA
doesn't matter what you do as long as you're having fun and getting outdoors. In the end, they both blend together. Most downhill tracks have jumps and drops which are more "freeride" oriented stunts anyways. You need both skills to do well at either of them.

RideRMB

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
'Da Hood
If you're into pedaling, then freeride.
If you're into hiking, then Downhill.

It's just like sex.., it's exciting before you do it, hella fun while you're doing it, and you feel exhausted after a good session. Just remember to always wear protection.
HAHAHA :clapping::clapping:

jenius

Chimp
Sep 25, 2007
I just started riding a few months ago and I was wondering if your size has anything to do with whether dh or freeride would be more fun. I'm 5'4" and I don't do big jumps very well yet and I just learned to drop.
:help: