Quantcast

Downhill Racing School Paper(Need information)

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
Hey guys, I'm doing a school paper on Downhill Racing. Trying to expand my sources to get different views on this topic we all love to do, Downhill Racing. What better place to get different viewpoints then come to the main source, rider forums. My keypoints i'm writing about are:

-the mental side to racing, why we ride pedal bikes down mountains at blistering speeds risking waff 'n limb.
-is Downhill Racing just as much mental as it is physical? how do you deal with the mental side of dealing with finding new race lines/ overcoming new obstacles(jumps, drops, etc.)
-how downhill racing gets our adrenaline pumping, over playing normal sports like football or baseball.
-what drives us mentally too push ourselves over the limit to reach that next level of speed.
-(General) what makes "extreme" sports more exciting to watch.

Forgot my outline/notes, but that is the basis of my paper. If any of you guys can shed some of your own personal insight on this topic, that'd be awesome. Much appreciated, Thanks.

Sshields32

Monkey
Mar 7, 2008
Warwick, NY
I dont race, but i do enjoy riding down hills at blistering speeds and crashing into sh*t.

i do it because it makes my life more entertaining.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
i think what makes extreme sports so entertaining is to watch people do such risky things and then of course, crashing which is basically the sole reason why people watch nascar. I think a big thing to focus on and an element that drives most of us is progression. I think most riders/racers out there may have aspirations of being atop the podium but realize that's difficult to achieve, so we settle instead on setting personal goals and acheiving those, whether thats better race results, conquering new lines, drops, jumps it's all about progression. Finally, people tend to forget that even though extreme athletes are known for their off-hours antics (drinking, drugs etc), these people are still athletes and in great shape, you can't win a DH race if you're out of shape no matter what kind of skills you possess.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
I'd say the mental aspect of racing is much more important the the physical side. Anyone can build up stamina and power but if you don't have the right mindset all your effort will be in vain. That's my contribution, now back to writing my annotated works collected for my term paper.

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
You could write about having other people do your homework for you?
what?

you call getting peoples opinions doing his homework for him?

he didnt ask you to write the paper...

anyways,
racing is actually more of a mental game to me. in too many races, i have gone slower than i know i can, and it takes more mental power to get over that.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Don't forget to use interviews. I would pick a semi-pro or pro DHer who you know has gone to college or has actually read a book (not a magazine).

I'm not kidding about this. You want a fairly articulate rider to discuss the life of DHer.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
For me its the feeling of self accomplishment. Me against myself, against the mountain and the clock. No depending on anyone, no coach telling me how i should run my race.
I also like the fact that this is a true sport. One where if you think you are good enough you can go up against the best in the world and prove it. Unlike foot ball, baseball, and basketball, you dont have to be chosen, or lucky enough to be chosen on a team. Ours is a true sport where all can compete and not just a spectator sport to 98% of the masses.