Quantcast

Downhilling Minnesota?

Mumbles

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
I am moving to Minneapolis this summer and I was wondering if it will be worth it to bring my downhill bike with me?

Admittedly, I haven't done a ton of research but I can't find a lot of info on any of the lift-access mountains about whether they are open during the summer months or not.

It does seem like there is a lot of accessible single track in the Twin Cities area though!

thanks for any help!

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Redwing has the only DH like trail, no lift, and not long, or really hard.

A trail bike works best here.

I ride a rigid bike most of the time.

Mumbles

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks 4xboy, that's what i was starting to assume. guess that means I have to invest in a good trail bike. thanks for the info!

????? - I knew I aimed poorly when I threw that dart at the map!

canyoudigit

Chimp
Nov 7, 2004
Minneapolis > Denver
I grew up and lived in Mpls for 33 years. Moved to CO just for the DH riding.

Sadly there isn't much downhilling in Mpls/MN. Unfortunately the best DH spot in the state was Lutsen Mtns but they closed up shop for bikes several years ago. That pretty much leaves Red Wing as the only/best DH riding in the state. Giant's Ridge up near Virginia MN has a new DH trail but I've never ridden it so I can't really comment on it.

A good trail bike would be the best option for that region. Though Mpls/St. Paul doesn't have the elevation or natural features that CO has, the trail riding in the Twin Cities is great for what it is. I actually really miss riding a mountain bike specific trail with some man made features, that is directional with no hikers. No need to stop every 100 yards for oncoming riders or hikers like the front range on busy days.

Check out MorcMTB.com for any info about the trails in MN.

As for good beer, while the Twin Cities isn't CO, or Portland, there is PLENTY of really, really good beer in the region! Some of my favorite watering holes are Busters on 28th (Coincidently, it's next door to the Angry Catfish Bike & Coffee shop) & The Bulldog (Northeast & Lowertown), Town Hall & Great Water brew pubs & Surly, Boom Island, Steel Toe, Flat Earth, Harriet & Liftbridge Brewing all have some tasty beverages.

Keep an open mind and enjoy Minneapolis.

JRE