Quantcast

Driver-8 on Chainlove - $1279

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
it would make a nice brother for the delta house super 8 with the risky fork
I'm still suprised that one of the last super 8s in our country lasted so long. A friend hucked it for 5 years and it was hucked 4 years before that by someone else. Pure oldschool build with 2001 monsters. Fun bike but they used to crack sooner than after 9 years ;)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
the super 8-monster t setup was my dream setup back in jr high...

ended up with a bullit/monster/3" setup when I was a senior...the good ol' days.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

47 or so LBS and probably one of sickest bikes I have ever had thats a list of about 20 BTW...........hahah. Fork was killer just bullet proof. Seals last 3+ years.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Christ from that picture the HA looks likes its 95 degrees!
Hahha maybe but no problem getting from top of Tunnel to Firestation in sub 20 minutes no matter what the HA was. Riding 4-5 times a week helps with that some.

Brete

Chimp
Dec 14, 2011
Salt Lake City
For about a day, HuckNRoll.com had these frames for $820. They must have sold 20 frames and then bam! the price went back up. I just happened to grab the last large frame they had at $820. Stoked.

This will be my first gravity bike and I'm planning to mount an 888 up front. So, hoping for some advice for a newbie DHer regarding anglesets. I've read complaints about noise and clicking and also read about "Works," which sounded like an alternative for an angleset? I understand the HA on these is 66.5 and that seems a bit steep.

If it's relevant, I love technical downhill and am probably considered upper-intermediate or lower-advanced at that discipline. Normally ride a 6" Giant Reign (HA 67.5).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
For about a day, HuckNRoll.com had these frames for $820. They must have sold 20 frames and then bam! the price went back up. I just happened to grab the last large frame they had at $820. Stoked.

This will be my first gravity bike and I'm planning to mount an 888 up front. So, hoping for some advice for a newbie DHer regarding anglesets. I've read complaints about noise and clicking and also read about "Works," which sounded like an alternative for an angleset? I understand the HA on these is 66.5 and that seems a bit steep.

If it's relevant, I love technical downhill and am probably considered upper-intermediate or lower-advanced at that discipline. Normally ride a 6" Giant Reign (HA 67.5).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
color me jelly. I'd snag a works components angled headset in the approrpiate size. -2* should be fine, for a 64.5* headset. I found that I couldn't really take advantage of the 63.5* HS angle on my sunday...I think I would have settled on a 64. In other words, don't worry about the magic number so much. If you aren't flying around at 45mph everywhere, I think you'll be more pleased with a slightly steeper HA, at like 64-65.

The angleset is hit or miss. Some people love them. I had one and I hated it. It clicked when turning the bars, knocked on hard hits, and required more maintenance than any other headset I've ever had. The one benefit is that you could theoretically get a slacker HA by using two -1.5* cups (or a 1 and a 1.5) to go even slacker. Personally, I'd grab a works setup and stop messing with it.

Congrats on the purchase. 870 is a STEAL.

Brete

Chimp
Dec 14, 2011
Salt Lake City
color me jelly. I'd snag a works components angled headset in the approrpiate size. -2* should be fine, for a 64.5* headset. I found that I couldn't really take advantage of the 63.5* HS angle on my sunday...I think I would have settled on a 64. In other words, don't worry about the magic number so much. If you aren't flying around at 45mph everywhere, I think you'll be more pleased with a slightly steeper HA, at like 64-65.

The angleset is hit or miss. Some people love them. I had one and I hated it. It clicked when turning the bars, knocked on hard hits, and required more maintenance than any other headset I've ever had. The one benefit is that you could theoretically get a slacker HA by using two -1.5* cups (or a 1 and a 1.5) to go even slacker. Personally, I'd grab a works setup and stop messing with it.

Thanks, Sandwich. I'm stoked. From what I've read this will make a descent starter frame for me. I'll give 65* a shot and see how it feels.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I could probably get on with a medium. I eventually decided not to get one since medium is an inch too small, and large is an inch too big. For 879 it's worth a shot. You could probably resell it in a year for at least that. Slopestyles sell used for what they went on chainlove for a year ago, it's silly.

Brete

Chimp
Dec 14, 2011
Salt Lake City
I could probably get on with a medium. I eventually decided not to get one since medium is an inch too small, and large is an inch too big. For 879 it's worth a shot. You could probably resell it in a year for at least that. Slopestyles sell used for what they went on chainlove for a year ago, it's silly.
from HT to rear axel, the D8 is the exact same size as my large Reign. At 6'1" I've often felt the large was a hair too small, but as close to perfect as I'm going to find.

You mentioned Works Components were easy to find. I don't see any dealers in the USA. Must I order a headset from the UK?

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
I have a large that I have been riding for 2 years and I came from a Nomad. You will love your new ride. I have recently considered getting a works headset to slacken the HA but really just out of curousity. If you decide to get a works, you have to order it directly from their website. I'm still debating whether I even need one. When I asked works about ordering one for myself they responded the same day and this is what I was told,

Clinton.

Yes, just order directly from our site - when you select your country it will remove the 20% VAT from the sale so you will get the headset a little over 14.00 cheaper.

If you need any help with anything please let me know.
Thanks! Rick.
Works Components

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Dead serious....why?
Sorry, just noticed this now.

Super Monster was silly and fun. When I had it installed on my Apocalypse it wasn't too bad angle-wise - it was actually rideable. And I really didn't have any issue riding it up my local trail.

So...simple answer - it was rare, strange, silly, ridiculous and because of that, I miss it.

Brete

Chimp
Dec 14, 2011
Salt Lake City

Thanks Sandwich!

I spoke with Rick at Works Components and ordered one of their -2* headsets.

I REALLY appreciate you steering me in the right direction on this.