Quantcast

drivetrain setup

kalNhobbs

Chimp
Jun 21, 2007
Portland, Orygun!
I am going to be simplifying and lightening my my bike this winter, and I have a few questions regarding the drivetrain. I am going from a 2X9 to a 1X9.

First, if I run either a 11-34 or 11-32 cassette and a 32T chainring up front, can I use a Short cage derailleur? I am deciding between a Saint or X.9 rear mech, and leaning towards shimano. Either of these should reduce chain slap :-)disgust1:) and most likely a few grams (over my long cage LX), right?

Secondly, I am going to run an E.13 32 Special Chainguide up from. Are there new rules when figuring out chain length when using a chainguide (versus the usual adding of 2 links to chain when in Large/Large combo)?

Lastly, I am going to downgrade from my beastly Shimano Saint Crankset, and go to something lighter (i don't need THAT much strength). What would be a good 4 bolt crankset that does not compromise strength but is relatively light? I was thinking the Shimano SLX crankset.

I attached the pics of my current set up.

Thnaks for any input!

Attachments

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i have a short cage X9 and love it on my dh bike. on my trail/light fr bike I run a 2X9 setup with a shadow XT der and that thing rocks as well.

btw getting ride of your front der and small chainring for a chainguide is probably actually going to gain you weight. BTW the e13 bash guard is in reality quite heavy.

for the cranks i think you are on the right track. i have looked into the SLX crank for my next set. that look you be the right combo of weight and strength. also jenson has them for cheap right now.