Quantcast

Drop to flat to headtube snap

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
it really makes you wonder if someone should invent a device to protect a riders head and face from injury when you crash.

oh wait....

Was he actually bleeding from his eyes? That looked nasty.

MikeStanfill

Chimp
Mar 24, 2008
Alaska
Looked like a reasonable bike. Any idea why it might of broken on such a small drop?

Man, this would suck if my frame ever broke like that. :X

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Looked like a reasonable bike. Any idea why it might of broken on such a small drop?

Man, this would suck if my frame ever broke like that. :X
Failure to inspect the bike, you will notice it didnt shear the headtube, it failed down a bit on the downtube, which affected the top tube as well. My guess is he has rialed teh frame there on the downtube a few times, leaving a nice dent, or a crack, weakening the bike. eventually its causes a failure, like in the video

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Looks like it was a hardrock.
maybe a older version, but if you look. he upgraded the fork to a Rockshox lyric. so also too much travel on the front. definitely explains where it broke. whether it was dented on the downtube or not. with the longer travel fork, it was bound to happen.

those sure are some stupid kids.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
maybe a older version, but if you look. he upgraded the fork to a Rockshox lyric. so also too much travel on the front. definitely explains where it broke. whether it was dented on the downtube or not. with the longer travel fork, it was bound to happen.

those sure are some stupid kids.
The fork surely had something to do with it failing. The dropping to flat and landing with both wheels at once doesn't help either, if one is going to drop to flat, at least land rear wheel first or avoid doing it. It simply amazes me that there are people out there that think putting a fork on that is 60mm past the 20mm rule and hucking a bike that isn't designed for dh/freeride will show no bad results in the end.

Last edited: