Quantcast

Drums, Bikes & Buds Oh My!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I am very much in agreement with you, those things make life very nice indeed. Though my drumming is limited to Middle Eastern drumming. (I love playing the Djumbe!)

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Ciaran said:
I am very much in agreement with you, those things make life very nice indeed. Though my drumming is limited to Middle Eastern drumming. (I love playing the Djumbe!)
Have you studied with someone who knows proper technique etc etc?
If not and you really like to play the Djembe I would reccomend finding a teacher and at least taking 1 or 2 lessons so you can learn how to play the instrument corectly... most people have no Idea, truely well studied Djembe players are totally amazing to listen to, I have a friend that studied Djembe in Ghana for 5 years, I love playing folkloric styles with him, he rips :thumb: NOTE: If you look real close my Djembe is in the upper right corner of that pic... I don't play it much though, I havent studied it enough to know what I am doing when it comes to technique.

Congas are the same thing, except much more difficult, second only in technical difficulty whern compared to the Tabla.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
golgiaparatus said:
Have you studied with someone who knows proper technique etc etc?
If not and you really like to play the Djembe I would reccomend finding a teacher and at least taking 1 or 2 lessons so you can learn how to play the instrument corectly... most people have no Idea, truely well studied Djembe players are totally amazing to listen to, I have a friend that studied Djembe in Ghana for 5 years, I love playing folkloric styles with him, he rips :thumb:

Congas are the same thing, except much more difficult, second only in technical difficulty whern compared to the Tabla.
I play in a medieval recreation group (The SCA) where there are quite a few very good, well trained drummers. I have had some basic instruction, and can keep a good beat for the dancers, but I seem to have this natural flowing drum energy. Personally I don't think I am that good but the other drummers compliment my playing quite a bit. I love to let them establish a beat then weave in and out of it.

I would indeed love to take some lessons in traditional drumming. It's great fun. :thumb:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Ciaran said:
I play in a medieval recreation group (The SCA) where there are quite a few very good, well trained drummers. I have had some basic instruction, and can keep a good beat for the dancers, but I seem to have this natural flowing drum energy. Personally I don't think I am that good but the other drummers compliment my playing quite a bit. I love to let them establish a beat then weave in and out of it.

I would indeed love to take some lessons in traditional drumming. It's great fun. :thumb:
Learning traditional rhythms is not nearly as important as just learning the correct way to get good tones. Hand drums are different than most instruments... if you strike it incorrectly (on the open tone for instance) then the sound is horrible to trained ears, also most hand drums have many many different tones that can be produced... A conga for instance with just 1 hand can produce 7 very distinct tones that are regularly used in most any rhythm, several of which take a LOT of practicec to execute correctly.

As for middle eastern playing... I play sometimes with a very good middle-eastern percussionist named Josh Massad... he just returned from a 2 week long workshop with Zakkir Hussain (the baddest Tabla player on earth)... Zakkir hand picks his students from hundrest of applicants, Josh was like 1 out of 10 applicants that made the cut... like I said, he is an amazing player. He plays Tabla, Doumbek, Cajones, Djembe, and frame drums, all very well.

[edit] Crap, just realized you said midevil, not middleeastern...
You are a nerd huh? You guys know that Djembes did not exist in midevil times excep in Africa right? j/k :D:D:monkey:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Nothing like posting evidence for a search warranty and blowing your internet anonymity in another thread all at the same time.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Cooter Brown said:
what's that? is that like a guarantee of the quality of the search. if the search sucks, you can send it back within 30 days for a full refund? ;)

Ha, 30 days or 300 miles, whichever comes first.

J

JRB

Westy said:
Nothing like posting evidence for a search warranty and blowing your internet anonymity in another thread all at the same time.
Do you get your money back if they don't find anything???

edit - goddammit - read the thread before posting. It's just not my style though. yeah - I'm gonna read 9 pages and then remember what I thought was funny.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Cooter Brown said:
what's that? is that like a guarantee of the quality of the search. if the search sucks, you can send it back within 30 days for a full refund? ;)
loco-gringo said:
Do you get your money back if they don't find anything???
Cooter beat you to it, asshat. :p