Quantcast

Dual Slalom coming to Charleston!!!

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
That’s right everyone, you heard right, As your one and only point of Contact, I am proudly announcing the start of the Dual Slalom Course at Marrington plantation, In Charleston, SC. I've been searching for a spot at Marrington to build that is not to deep in the woods, and with a hill, so my search took me on a ride around all 13 miles of the trail system. Long story short, I ended up back where most of my work has taken place; at the BMX area.

So, we have this over looked trail at the BMX area called, "berm Alley" and after some looking, and a little imagination, I decided to just use the existing trail, but make it better and DS'y.

So this is how the work is going to take place,

Phase one - the trail needs to be wider to fit two riders, so I will be cutting the trail wider on the straights and in the turns.

Phase two - after cutting the trail wider, with the excess dirt, and some extra dirt I'm sure, I will then put in all the berms.

Phase three - since I'm working with an existing trail, some of the turns are longer than a normal DS course, so to make up for the flatness, and long outside turns (inside lines will be speed turns) I will have some test runs to see where momentum needs to be helped, and then in turn we will add any rollers, tables or doubles to the mix.

Phase four - RACE TIME!

The course will start on a small hill, about 30 feet high, with about 60 feet of run off to the first turn. It will have 4 turns, before turn 5 which I'm going to call, "Balls turn", turn 5 is made of some concrete like clay dirt which is already packed so hard, it takes a lot of effort to make even a little dent in it, so I'm going to cut this turn out BMX track style and it will be an all out battle for the fast line, following turn 5 is a drop, more like a jump, it will be taller and wider to lead into turn 6 and 7, where everything will end in more than likely a roller or rhythm section before you hit a finish line step down.

I'm walking the course Friday I think to see what machinery I'll get to use to do the work, and Have plans to start working around the 27th. I will post all work days here for anyone who wants to help. I'll also have pictures I took today of all the leave covered trails posted sometime this week. Check back often, starting January, work should go underway fast. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
Sounds good man. Glad to see someone take matters into their own hands and make it happen. I live over 2 hours away, but would definetly make it down for a race when you have one.
Thanks man, just keep watching, once this thing is up and running, the first race would be more of, well, underground for no money or cool prizes. :( but lots of fun!

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
Is there seriuosly enough elevation change there to make a fast, flowy DS course? I'm not a doubter man just having a hard time remembering. I have always had to pedal through the berms just to get past them. But hey with free dirt things can happen. I will try my best to get out there and help you when the work starts up.

BTW did you ever talk to the land manager about putting a small skills course in. Nothing more than a foot off the ground. Shoot could even just be logs from fallen trees and such. This would avoid any inspection issues.

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
Is there seriuosly enough elevation change there to make a fast, flowy DS course? I'm not a doubter man just having a hard time remembering. I have always had to pedal through the berms just to get past them. But hey with free dirt things can happen. I will try my best to get out there and help you when the work starts up.

BTW did you ever talk to the land manager about putting a small skills course in. Nothing more than a foot off the ground. Shoot could even just be logs from fallen trees and such. This would avoid any inspection issues.
Eh, not really, I only get myself into something I can manage on my own. I know it sounds like a great idea putting stunts and other things, but what ends up happening is I have a work day, a few guys come out for about an hour or so, and then I finish everything myself. I don't have enough support for other riders to want to build more than what I do. There are two other guys who make it out regularly, but we only get to ride together every other month or so.
I don't mind doing the work for others to have something to ride, but since I'll do a lot of work during the week, I have to set limit on what we get permission to build. When I get 5 or more guys out at every build day helping, that’s when I'll start pushing for bigger and better. No one wants to see unfinished trails or projects; it’s a waste of time, and money.

As for the DS course, right now, you are right, it’s not fast, but if you remember there aren't really any berms right now, it’s just small bumps in the turns that look that berms, but nothing that any rider I know could hold speed though which is where are your momentum is lost. Once the Berms are built up, by the time you get to drop after turn 5, the amount of speed you should have will be far more than ever before.

I know you don’t mean anything negative by your concern of speed and flow, but you do have to remember, Charleston is far from any hills, and the ones that are at Marrington are from dried up marshes from long ago. This DS course will be 7 turns of non-stop peddling, if you want elevation change, head north.

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
I get you on the lack of help. I do have other opinions on this but they aren't to be discussed on a forum just due to the possibility of something being taken the wrong way.

Sounds good man. I was just thought the orignal place being the pit had decent elevation change. Just wondering why you changed locations?

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
yeah, well, I'm going to do one more walk though, but when I went over to the Pit, it just didn't seem to have enough room to build one, the hill behind the pit rolls into a small marshy area. I actually road all of the Marrington to find a place, but there isn't anything I think would work. I am going to ride over there one more time, but yeah. and dont worry about having any opinions taken the wrong way. Constructive criticism is very much welcome.

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
Ah understand your reasoning then. I didn't realize it was marshy under that grass lol. Should have though of that since the pit could sometimes be called the swimming pool.

I guess on of the things I wanted to say above is that your lack of help is most likely due to the lack of interest in the things your working on. Most people out there are interested in xc riding. With that comes people loving to just role through what your making and not catching air. I know that you love what you are working on getting put together there but due to the lack of interest it will be a hard road.

My suggestion with making that area a skills type area, every XC'er likes balance lines and mock rock gardens, would be to bring more people in. In the end you lead work parties so you can split people up as you like getting work done on both your baby and a "skills area".

I personally have helped you but not because I love hitting jumps but because I wanted to help out, but most people won't do that unless there is something in it for them. Also I don't think many people that ride there hit up the web pages. It is ashamed that there isnt some sort of e-newsletter for Marrington out there and that the only real contact area for out there is a Yahoo chat group. I do have web space that I have considered creating a forum type set up but just don't know if there is enough support. Old dog new tricks type scenario you know.

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
I want to also add that I at present live about 45 minutes away from Marrington so when I drive down I always plan to ride at least the base 12 miles offered out there, this turns a trip into at least half a day just riding and not working. I try not to take day trips but every once and a while due to the wife and kids. But in the summer I am hoping we will be relocating back to the Ladson area so I will probably be able to help out a bit more.

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
I want to also add that I at present live about 45 minutes away from Marrington so when I drive down I always plan to ride at least the base 12 miles offered out there, this turns a trip into at least half a day just riding and not working. I try not to take day trips but every once and a while due to the wife and kids. But in the summer I am hoping we will be relocating back to the Ladson area so I will probably be able to help out a bit more.
I know you had a bit of a drive, and I was grateful of your help when you gave it. I don't mean anything directly to those of you who have helped. My I end of doing it myself comment is just a general statement. I'm meeting with the boss tomorrow morning, I'll pass the idea about the balance stuff to him. I don't really know how they get money to buy supplies, I know things have to be budgeted in. silly Military.

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
I was actually suggesting using fallen trees on the property. If there was a way to get them to the area we could work with those. Now for a mock rock garden I am not sure. The creek has some nice rocks in it but I am not suggesting we move those just wondering if they are native or were they brought in.

I do look forward to helping you more there. I know it is frustrating trying to build solo. I am building some stuff on my land and it is very slow going.

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
Hey Everyone, First work days on the DS course, set for the 29-30-31 of December, more than likely during the Mornings to the afternoon. I'll post on times the day before. PM or reply to forum if your interested in helping out.

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
I am planning on a ride with some guys there either Fri or Sat. If they are cool with it we may help for a bit but I won't commit.With the holidays it is kind of hard to know what is going on from day to day. I will check the forum though for times.

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
Well, I'm working the 29-31 which is Monday - Wendesday. So yeah, if you can get out there your welcome to it, for now, its Me, and Don here and there when I needs some heavy machinary.

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
Bah I have to work all week. My year to hold down the fort. May get out there Wends but only if they decide they want to be nice and let us off a little early with pay, I have 0 vacation left.

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
well folks, I got out to the trails this week. I mowed down the new trail head which will be the starting hill. Its going to be a nice track opener with what I hope to be a semi fast Chicane. I should be getting out again soon to cut the dirt out a bit, and put in the first turn and berms. I'll take some pictures next time I got out. I also walked the course again, a few of the turns are going to be, umm, shortened, for those of you who ride marrington, you know that Berm ally have some of the longest turns ever! so when I put the berms in, you'll make more of a stright shot before getting to the berm. more speed.. yeah.. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
I thought I was update everyone. nothing new.. sorry, I actualy have been out for the count for about 2 weeks now. I hurt my back big time moving some things around my house, so I've been unable to do any laborous work. anyways, I'm feeling pretty good, so I should be able to get out next week and get some work done.

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
Hey everyone, I just thought I would send out a update for anything going on in Charleston under my watch.
I'm actually in the Sand Box yet again for 6 months, and wont be home till October. That being said, my days of building trails in Charleston are over, At the start of the new year, I'm going to be a bit busy planning my move to Colorado, or back to VA to the Blacksburg area to go to college. Its been fun, but am I glad to get back to some mountains really soon... only one more year and I'll be at into some fresh air! anyway.. thanks for all the support and help around the Low Country, I wont be building any jumps this deployment, the base I am on is very very flat and has paved roads everywhere!! not to mention there are miles that seperate work from my dorms. I have my road bike rig with me... anyways.. very best!!!

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
Hey BD-DV07 It is great to hear that you are going back to where you miss. I enjoyed meeting you an your wife and will miss the upgrades out at Marrington.
I just want to wish you the best of luck man.
Will you be able to come to Clemson this weekend? If so I will see you there.

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
Hey BD-DV07 It is great to hear that you are going back to where you miss. I enjoyed meeting you an your wife and will miss the upgrades out at Marrington.
I just want to wish you the best of luck man.
Will you be able to come to Clemson this weekend? If so I will see you there.
HAHA.. well, If I was home to ride, I still wouldn't be able to race since its on my Wifes B-day, but I'm suck in the Middle of nowhere (Middle East) till september. I'm hoping to get back with time to ride 26 West.. thats about my only FR goal for the year.