Quantcast

Dumbest thing you've done at work

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Ok, besides me being on ridemonkey instead of working on cars....
Just trying to find out what the dumbest things people on here have done at work.

Myself: talking crap about the company I work for ON the employee forum. Resulted in a very LONG discussion with a panel of managers about me keeping my job, etc. My advice to everyone...do NOT say things like "all my managers are f'n idiots. I hate my job f**k this place..."

Ya, I'm dumb.

Also, my ex co-worker at another shop totaled a customers car in the parking lot....idiot.

dsb18292

Chimp
Mar 24, 2009
Hmm, at work atm so should I go there. Yeah, sure. I had a buddy that introduced me to the clean sweep, basically doing nothing for a week at work and surfing the net. Well, one day the president calls me up to his office. He slams about 100pages of paper down on the table, explains that it is my web traffic from the previous day, and asks, "Do you like your job?". Initial impulse was to say, "NO". But better judgement got a hold of me and I was able to slide. Fawk, in this day in age employers have got you by the balls. Used to be if you wasted time at the water cooler no one was the wiser. Now if you waste time on the internet there is a full record of your indiscretion. F-me.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Hmm, at work atm so should I go there. Yeah, sure. I had a buddy that introduced me to the clean sweep, basically doing nothing for a week at work and surfing the net. Well, one day the president calls me up to his office. He slams about 100pages of paper down on the table, explains that it is my web traffic from the previous day, and asks, "Do you like your job?". Initial impulse was to say, "NO". But better judgement got a hold of me and I was able to slide. Fawk, in this day in age employers have got you by the balls. Used to be if you wasted time at the water cooler no one was the wiser. Now if you waste time on the internet there is a full record of your indiscretion. F-me.
The clean sweep? WTF does that mean and how can you get away with doing nothing? Doesn't someone notice that zero work comes out of you?

I only surf the internets if I have EVERYTHING under control in my world. And that is a VERY rare thing these days. Typically I'm slammed to my eyeballs all-the-time.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Got an email from the CEO of a customer. Was going to forward it to a friend with some sarcastic comments on how unreasonable the requests were, basically called him a douche bag. Accidentally hit the reply button instead of the forward button. Never felt any repercussions from it. I'm guessing the guy knew he was being a douche bag.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Got an email from the CEO of a customer. Was going to forward it to a friend with some sarcastic comments on how unreasonable the requests were, basically called him a douche bag. Accidentally hit the reply button instead of the forward button. Never felt any repercussions from it. I'm guessing the guy knew he was being a douche bag.
Bahahaha! I've done that sh!t... once you hit send you just gotta say, "oh well".

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Printed a picture of Laura Croft (fully clothed) that was later considered sexual harassment by HR. Some people are too sensitive.

dsb18292

Chimp
Mar 24, 2009
The clean sweep? WTF does that mean and how can you get away with doing nothing? Doesn't someone notice that zero work comes out of you?
Well, the whole point of the clean sweep is that you have your work done and nobody is going to be bugging you during the internet gluttony. I agree that if sh!t isn't under control WRT work you have no business messing around.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Well, the whole point of the clean sweep is that you have your work done and nobody is going to be bugging you during the internet gluttony. I agree that if sh!t isn't under control WRT work you have no business messing around.
You don't have enough to do if you can not work for a week because you are "caught up".

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Can't say I've really done anything truly stupid other than honest work related mistakes. Given the nature of my job though, I've made some big ones, and odds are I will make more.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I was putting in 16 hour days and was sitting at the airport waiting for a connection after a red-eye flight where I couldn't sleep. Not my best moment.
I did it in a manner that that was more like this:

"Why the hell don't they just do their job. I don't have time to babysit their lazy asses every time we send them a project", etc, etc.

I needed some teamwork to start happening and it wasn't... so I was venting to a coworker. Nothing bad came of it... I just felt like an A-hole afterwards. Same deal, long hours, skipped lunch, super busy and irritated. Bad moment/judgement.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
This one time I went into work early.
Ha! No ****. The dumbest thing I ever did at work was take my job too seriously, let people walk all over me, got so stressed out that it effected my personal life, and almost went nuts. Smartest thing I have ever done at wokr. Quit that ****ing job to take a job that I love and am deeply passionate about.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I took about 15 steps into a fresh concrete bridge deck slab. I thought the squish was the springiness of the insulated blankets we use in cold temperatures. It was about 70F out. Just regular old tarps.

That was pretty stupid.

badphish

Monkey
Feb 28, 2008
I didn't actually end up doing it, but a print shop I used to work for printed this big local magazine. One of the issues had a cover with the governor sitting on a Harley. I made my own version of the cover, where I photoshopped bigfoot into the reflection off one of the chrome mirrors. I was so close to sending it to press like that, but pussed out in the end.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Ya, today instead of really working I sat around and watched Pineapple Express and Superbad. Then went on here for a while, followed by some youtube. Days when there's no cars to work on really really really really really suck.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I had to do an emergency restore of last week's backups. Looked at the date: Ju 11th, ok that's good.

Took all day and then I realized it was last month's backups. You see, it was July, and I used June's.

If I looked at the third letter, I would have realized I had gotten the wrong backup. Or if was any other month besides July, the previous month's backups would have started with a different letter and I wouldn't have used it.

Wasted a day of an entire company.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
When I was the manager of a shop I was cleaning some parts with White Lighting clean streak over the garbage can, little grom was near and I light the clean streak with a lighter. Grom's hand+my hand, garbage can and garbage can content burst into flames. :eek:
Owner of shop was outside.

Grom was fine. No hair left on hands, same with me, tons of black smoke, stop drop and roll on burning rags, melted flooring and fire alarm went off. Yeah I felt like a dumb ass.

On Monday I had to Take a Hyundai Genesis Sedan to our local autoshow for the display along with another co-worker driving a Genesis Coupe. We were rocking about 110-120mph for a while passing like azzholes on the highway. Company cars on dealer plates+speeding waaaayyy over limit=dumb idea. Didnt get busted but dumb:)

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
One of my students is a 14 year old junior high school girl. She loves Avril Lavigne and we were googling pictures of her. Suffice is to say that google safe search could be safer. Quick VB hit the back button..........is that a donkey? Jesus.......

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Work at a bike shop, Told a customer to go to Kmart for her little son to get the ____ bike he wanted because all the ones we had were overpriced ****. She constantly comes in bitching to my boss, but for whatever reason, i never got caught.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Usually just not thinking before I speak. My office is relatively PC/mellow, while all of my clients are aggressive type-a, filter-less individuals.
A couple:
- I was doing an internal training for a jr person and they were having trouble following along with some excel info. I stated point blank, "these are simple concepts. what part is so hard to understand?" HR file for demeaning comments.
- More internal training: a person I trained, then had the same question come up multiple times. "Do you have trouble reading?" -no, why- "because I saw you write the answer to this question the last three times you asked me, into your notebook. You should try remembering things, or at least reading before bothering me. go away." HR file again.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
for whatever reason i was under the impression that the shop air compressor topped out at like 40ish psi, so one day i was changing a flat and just kept it hooked up until the pump stopped. about 30 seconds later i bent down to pick up some trash a couple feet away from the wheel and KABOOM!!! turns out it goes to about 80 psi... the shop was fairly crowded with customer's at the time, so everyone was pissed off at me for a while.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Usually just not thinking before I speak. My office is relatively PC/mellow, while all of my clients are aggressive type-a, filter-less individuals.
A couple:
- I was doing an internal training for a jr person and they were having trouble following along with some excel info. I stated point blank, "these are simple concepts. what part is so hard to understand?" HR file for demeaning comments.
- More internal training: a person I trained, then had the same question come up multiple times. "Do you have trouble reading?" -no, why- "because I saw you write the answer to this question the last three times you asked me, into your notebook. You should try remembering things, or at least reading before bothering me. go away." HR file again.
Put your pvssy trainees on ridemonkey for a week. They'll either grow strong or die.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Put your pvssy trainees on ridemonkey for a week. They'll either grow strong or die.
Pretty much. I've had the head of our local news bureau approach me about being "too abrasive" before.

Someone in news nuked fish for lunch and stank up our whole office the day of a major client event, and I got pissed so stood up and started yelling 'who the f* is eating fish? who the f is stinking up this office 30min before a major client event? Which one of you is so f*ing socially obtuse that you are willing to stink up the f*ing office on a day when clients are in here..." for about five min.
Never found the person, but nobody has cooked fish since then. Hr file, but my boss brushed it off.

And yes, I have anger mgmt issues.